• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

confit jelly

James Satriano

I made duck confit this past weekend and chilled the fat in an upside down mason jar in order to remove the "jelly" before storing the legs in the fat. Is there any good use for this wonderful looking jelly. I made a brown duck stock from the carcasses. Can I add the jelly to this? Should it be frozen and added to sauces or do I pitch it.

I made duck confit this past weekend and chilled the fat in an upside down mason jar in order to remove the "jelly" before storing the legs in the fat.  Is there any good use for this wonderful looking jelly.  I made a brown duck stock from the carcasses.  Can I add the jelly to this?  Should it be frozen and added to sauces or do I pitch it.

Horrors! NO!

Back away from the garbage can immediately before I have to get the fire hose out!

You can toss it into the stock, but I would use it as an additive to sauces. I am sure there are other suggestions coming up the pike...

When I make potstickers, I put a small cube of confit jelly in each dumpling. Adds a nice flavor and when you bite into the dumpling, the melted jelly gives an unexpected squirt of juice.

I ran out of homemade chicken stock so I added some confit jelly to some store-bought broth. It was great!.

Bill/SFNM

I was at a book signing for the Bouchon cookbook a while ago and got to ask Thomas Keller this very question. He suggested that, if it's not too salty, emulsifying it with some walnut oil and maybe some thyme would not be a bad idea. Unsurprisingly, he was right.

That duck rice sounds heavenly.

I roasted a chicken last week, made my usual pan gravy with flour. I would normally add water or stock, but I ran across the confit jelly in the fridge and added a slug. WOW!!! Best gravy I've made in a while.