• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulf of Maine Shrimp - 2006/2007

johnnyd

Indeed, the end of the Maine Shrimp season is nigh...

gallery_16643_3977_51495.jpg

... so it's time for the final recipe of the season: from The Fore Street in Portland Maine, Chef Sam Hayward's Shrimp Chowder featured in this month's Saveur (#100)

I went to Harbor Fish Market Saturday afternoon and to my dismay they were totally out of shrimp! Damn, I thought, maybe word is finally getting around? So I head over to Free Range and he's got one tote of whole shrimp and a handful of shelled on hand. In front of me is an irate asian lady who appears to be waiting for several pounds to be shoveled into bags. This is the first time I may not be able to buy fresh shrimp when I want it. Thankfully, I get three pounds, per Sam's recipe.

Time to get to work...

gallery_16643_3977_43096.jpg

There are way more little shrimp in this batch. A lot of damaged ones too. I see clearly why trapped shrimp have an edge.

The heads, shells, damaged and smalls go straight into the pot with 10 cups cold water,

gallery_16643_3977_18450.jpg

and brought to a boil. Simmer five minutes.

gallery_16643_3977_2048.jpg

This will be excellent stock. There is a lot of extra shrimpmeat in it.

Next, I rendered 1/4cup blanched saltpork and added 2 large russet potato and a leek, white only

gallery_16643_3977_1736.jpg

Cook gently for five minutes. Then added 3cups shrimp broth.

gallery_16643_3977_8262.jpg

Simmer gently, covered for ten minutes.

Then melt 3tbsp of butter, turn heat to high, and add chilled shrimp meat and 3/4cup of heavy cream.

gallery_16643_3977_12579.jpg

This is looking pretty rich right now!

gallery_16643_3977_2593.jpg

Boil for 30 seconds...

gallery_16643_3977_8205.jpg

Then gently fold into the chowder base and let rest for ten minutes, covered.

gallery_16643_3977_1209.jpg

Add Salt, generous grinds of fresh black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

gallery_16643_3977_1698.jpg

... and you might get it to look like Sam's at Fore Street! Recipe called for chives garnish - I used a scallion top.

gallery_16643_3977_16129.jpg

gallery_16643_3977_24131.jpg

Delicious! Thank You Sam Hayward, and Many, Many Thanks to the boys on the boats who bring us this treasure every winter. :cool::cool::cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Dang that chowder looks good!

Haven't been able to find shrimp in Jersey all week. Serious bummer. Are the catches tapering off? Well I got links, I'll go look for myself.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Just got back from Harbor Fish Market in the Old Port and they say another couple weeks left. They expect a load of whole shrimp tomorrow as a couple boats are sure to go out in this nice weather. Judging by the load at Free Range Lobster on Commercial Street, the harvest is getting smaller sizes and there is no roe anymore. This is the time when the quality falls off precipitously so there is not likely to be any shipped south. I don't know that for sure except for Chris's post above sounds definite in RI.

End of March season closure sounds right as I missed the opening by two weeks back at the beginning of this thread - I was using last year's dates

I hope to nail at least five pounds tomorrow so I can freeze them for the summer and fall. Okay, maybe ten pounds. At $0.99/lb it's stupid not to.

[Note to local readers: The mid-atlantic shad roe looks terrific. $8.99/pair. Also, Tolof the kelp noodle guy will be at Harbor Friday 11a-3p for a demonstration of kelp noodle preparation as well as his Bangs Island Mussel aquaculture product. Should be delicious.]

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Maine DMR site linked on p. 1 says "The 2007 fishing season, which is the same for mobile and trap gear, will be open seven days a week from December 1, 2006, through April 30, 2007. "

So it ain't over technically, but may be another matter practically.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Picked up the last of the whole fresh shrimp at Harbor Fish y'day - only two pounds left! The price was up to $1.49/lb and they went through about 200 lbs in six hours. I do believe there is finally some action among consumers. My job may be done here... or just beginning?

They were so fresh and delicious I had a handful with ponzu, made a bowl of nice shrimp ceviche, then peeled the rest for freezing. Some, however, were just too small so I sprinkled some salt and paprika on 'em and sauteed at high heat.

gallery_16643_3977_27225.jpg

I don't understand why these aren't prepared more often around here. Crunchy goodness.

At the bottom of the bag I found this curious little guy:

gallery_16643_3977_26865.jpg

There are at least five species of north atlantic shrimp. This fellow couldn't keep up with his brethren I suppose.

gallery_16643_3977_2940.jpg

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

So is the season over? It looks like I'll be in the Portland area on Friday or Saturday, any chance of finding about 20 lbs. of fresh shrimpy goodness to bring back home to Pennsylvania?

Thanks!

---Guy

Edited by pennbrew (log)

Thanks Folks, it's an honor and a pleasure.

Sunday's New York Times had an article about Port Clyde, Maine [available for a limited time] that featured a photo of a couple fishermen off-loading their shrimp on a recent afternoon. The town is rallying to preserve working waterfront acreage and shoreline for the fishing industry as much property has been purchased by out-of-staters for vacation homes.

Harbor Fish Market says only a few boats are going out for shrimp at this point. They haven't seen whole shrimp at the shop in two weeks. Headless was for sale y'day for $3.49/pound. There will be shelled shrimp available all month, $5.49 or so per pound.

Portland Food Map.com

• 4 months later...

Since we're into the dog days & I've nothing better to do, thought I'd kick this thread back up top while dreaming of shrimp.

Seriously, I've been wondering what happens to all that frozen Maine shrimp & why I can't find any of it here in Jersey. I guess most of it goes to the local Maine restaurant trade so that I can enjoy a fine plate of fried Maine shrimp at the Kennebec Tavern in Bath in July.

While up there last week I noticed that Gilmore's Seafood, a fine fishmonger if ever there was one, was selling little containers of Maine shrimp (at $5.00 / lb, I think it was). Apparently they have a pretty good handle on how much they can sell & they defrost a certain amount every day.

Gilmore's will air-express the stuff to me but the cost of shipping makes this a ridiculous option economically.

Ah well, if it were always available, would we appreciate it as much? YOU BET! :raz:

I had been runniing a Maine shrimp Bolognese w/ schiaffone(a thick tube pasta). The frozen tail meat runs @4.25 #, a great price point, pluse its so easy to work with. Ran a rissotto, andtopped a pizza with them.

I had been runniing a Maine shrimp Bolognese w/ schiaffone(a thick tube pasta). The frozen tail meat runs @4.25 #, a great price point, pluse its so easy to work with. Ran a rissotto, andtopped a pizza with them.

That's awesome. What quantity do you order and who's the vendor? That guy in, I think, Bristol that you mentioned upthread this winter?

There does seem to be a lot of Maine Shrimp on menus this summer. How about that?!

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 months later...

Northern Shrimp 2008 Fishing Season Set at 152 Days

Section Expresses Concern about Shrimp Availability during the 2009 Fishing Season

Portsmouth, NH - The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Northern Shrimp Section approved a 152-day fishing season for the 2007-2008 northern shrimp fishery, a 1-day increase from last year's season. The approved season was based on recommendations of the Northern Shrimp Technical Committee and Advisory Panel.

"Our efforts to reduce fishing mortality in the early 2000's continue to provide an above-average abundance of shrimp for the fishery," stated outgoing-Section Chair Ritchie White from New Hampshire. "By approving another five-month fishing season, we are able to maintain improved harvesting and marketing opportunities."

As usual I'll be starting a new topic commemorating the season opener and welcome any and all member news about fresh Gulf of Maine shrimp - location tracking, prices and recipes are encouraged from your part of New England and beyond. After three years reporting on Maine shrimp I think we are finally in the position to make a market for these delicacies.

Who's in? :cool:

Portland Food Map.com

When is the first day of the season Johnny?

I can't wait.....

last year I carried a big box of them to Germany. Bought in the afternoon and eaten next day for dinner with my family...they LOVED it.