• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulf of Maine Shrimp - 2006/2007

johnnyd

We have been lucky to have fresh Maine Shrimp at our WF in Boston all last week.

Sweet, tender and wonderful.

Our favorite has been to use Fata paper (www.jbprince.com), a little oil and some spices, place the wrapped package on a hot plate and watch it cook. Opening it up you get the most wonderful cooked crustacean smell (best with whole shimp).

This story from Commercial Fisheries News is a little old (Dec'06) but checks in on the status of New England ports who handle shrimp:

“Our first day of buying was Dec. 11,” said Spencer Fuller of Cozy Harbor Seafood Inc. in Portland.

Maine fishermen had reported seeing a lot of shrimp everywhere, said Fuller. Some guys were doing over 1,000 pounds an hour, with counts in the mid-50s in deep water, 65–80 fathoms, and in the mid-40s closer to shore.

“Cozy Harbor has two to three times more shrimp processing capability than we had last year,” said Fuller.

But, he cautioned, low worldwide shrimp prices, cheap warmwater shrimp, low prices for cooked/peeled northern shrimp out of Newfoundland, and a 20% duty to export to Europe would all make market conditions challenging for Maine shrimp.

Tim, I'm digging for more info - I'll PM or phone if I find something.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

We had the shelled shrimp last night. It was bland & had a peculiar crumbly texture. Not a hint of ammonia but otherwise seemed a bit old. Not much of the usual sweetness left to them. If that were my first exposure to Maine shrimp I would definitely be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Hmmm. I'd venture to say they might have been frozen and thawed for display. Sounds like it's possible but I wonder... BTW, How did you prepare/serve them?

The sign on the shrinp bin said "Fresh/wild caught." Can we believe the signs at WF?

Frozen - now that you mention it, they were sitting naked on a bed of ice with no shells to protect their tender flesh, so maybe that had an effect.

This was my usual lemon juice & linguini preparation, which I've done a dozen or so times. The difference this time was huge.

WF seems to do a good job with the handling as long as they leave 'em in their shells; apart from this instance I've never had a problem with freshness. (Can't say the same for Stop & Shop, which stocked them intermittently last year.)

WF had another peeled batch, now for $7.99 / lb, so I had to try 'em again. Better than the first batch - over half of them had decent texture this time - & some decent flavor though still weak.

I'm starting to conclude that they simply don't take well to being peeled & then sitting around for hours. Honestly, I've had better frozen Maine shrimp in restaurants many times (& I presume that they're flash-frozen as soon as they've been peeled).

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I had the WF peeled shrimp the other day -- can't recall the price. They were labeled fresh and wild, and they seemed pretty damned good to me.

Glad to hear it. I guess it comes down to the individual store's handling of the peeled guys, & perhaps how long they've been out of shell.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

That's a great article. Nice recipe too.

Boston Globe "Shrimp are Winter's Maine Attraction" (requires registration)

Many chefs, including Tony Maws, like to cook these juicy morsels. The chef-owner of Craigie Street Bistrot is a fan. "They're a lot of fun," says the Cambridge chef. "They taste really sweet." They remind him of Japanese sushi shrimp. The shrimp cost between $9 and $10 per pound shelled (about $6 unshelled), and though that's far more expensive than they are in Maine, where fishermen sell bagfuls for a few dollars, they're still a bargain.
The longer season is good news for local fishermen, but they're not celebrating yet. Peter Kendall, who manages the Portsmouth Fishermen's Coop, explains: "A few years ago, the season was so short that we lost a lot of markets to imports." Farm-raised fish from overseas were flooding the seafood counter. When the fishing season for Maine shrimp was extended last year, the fishermen had trouble selling their catch. This year, there is generally more demand.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Globe didn't requre me to register. Nice article. Eggs + butter + shrimp? Pass the Lipitor please! :shock:

Had the shelled ones again last night. Same deal: subdued flavor & about 1/3 of them just kind of dissolve in your mouth, like Ferran Adria is sneaking some kind of bizarre shrimp foam concoction into the mix, or somebody dumped the mock shrimp pudding pops in with the real shrimp.

The counter guy confirmed that the shrimp are not shelled on premises but arrive that way from somewhere further up the line, he wasn't sure where.

Annoying, but I suspect I'll keep trying them anyway a/c convenience.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

I'm sorry, but I just don't want them peeled. When I see them sitting in a pool of pink water with a sign that says $9.99 /lb I just keep going. Some unknown middle person has violated those shrimp and charged me for it. No thanks! Get them from the boats to the store quickly! I'll deal with the rest. I think they fare better if they are just left alone and kept cold.

Am I wrong?

HC

Had more of the peeled guys last night (they don't sit in pools of pink water here in Jersey). They were pretty darned good this time, marking a steady progression from yucky to decent over the weeks. Has WF improved its handling methods or is this still just luck of the draw? Stay tuned.

I keep trying to find them at my new local fishmonger, it's annoying that WF is my only source, but every time I go they are closed. No signs, nothing to indicate their status or open hours. I just don't get that.

Today I saw them raw peeled in WF in Manhattan (Columbus Circle) for $7.99 / lb and they did look a far cry better than the ones in Framingham. Still, I'd rather have them in the shell because I think there are more options open in preparing them. That was the only place I saw them in any form today, however.

HC

Two Portland Television networks broadcast stories about the Gulf of Maine Shrimp market this week.

According to a Cozy Harbor Seafood representative interviewed on camera, the buyer market is improving. He said inventories of foreign product were played out so the demand for Maine Shrimp is rising this month. The price is still about $0.40 per pound but the boats aren't having any trouble selling their catch... finally!

I also heard from some fishermen that shrimp caught in traps vs. dragging nets were a much better product. I poked around on the web and found this eBay item (expires 2-24-07), a fellow in BoothBay, Maine is selling fresh, trap-caught shrimp by auction.

If you look closely, and if you've been following this thread, you will recognize the picture posted of a particular plate o' shrimp. :hmmm: I don't know whether to be flattered or pissed off.

Portland Food Map.com

Two Portland Television networks broadcast stories about the Gulf of Maine Shrimp market this week. 

I also heard from some fishermen that shrimp caught in traps vs. dragging nets were a much better product.  I poked around on the web and found this eBay item (expires 2-24-07), a fellow in BoothBay, Maine is selling fresh, trap-caught shrimp by auction.

Do you know the guy on ebay? Can he supply better/as good as WF shrimp? His price shipped to Boston can't be touched by WF.

Thanks.

Don't forget, these are trap-caught. Better handling for sure. I'm sure the quality could beat WF from what I've read in the thread.

As for the price, that can change at auction. Next-day shipping appears to be $32 - $40 so if you pay $13 + $32 that's $10/pound delivered. I would suggest a ten pounder but some of the critters at the bottom might suffer.

I've exchanged emails with the fellow inquiring about preferred shipping containers (and a request to install a credit for my photo) and he appears to be very accomodating. I'd ask him directly what he is willing to do for you.

edit new info:

Okay he also has 2 x 5/lb boxes for a bid of $20 or more. The next-day USPS express charge is $61. So $24 buys it - add shipping = $8.50 per pound delivered!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Something else I can probably guarantee: The shrimp you buy from this gentleman is still swimming around the Gulf of Maine right now. Right now!

I would say that when the auction ends, he'll call his pal on the boat to tell him how many pounds he needs and then meet 'em at the dock that afternoon.

-----------------

edit to add:

I received a couple eMails from Garry in BoothBay who is willing to send trap-caught shrimp to anyone in the US and Canada (PM me for direct contact). He offered some insight into Maine Shrimp:

In the earlier part of the season, there was only dragged shrimp around. I prefer trapped, Dragged always seem to be smaller and the quality of shrimp is poor. Now the trappers have started seeing good catches. Very small amounts of veiners, and nice big healthy shrimp.  People need to have these in their hands to fully understand the value of this wonderful item. The fisherman need the help or we will lose the commodity. I have read your [eG] posts and you seem to have the same mindset.

So far everyone that has been receiving them have been extremely happy. The shrimp are still alive when I am putting them in a box. I have been packing and shipping seafoods for over 10 years, so I know how to handle the various products. This is why most of the supermarkets have poor quality. Some shrimp are on trucks for 3- 5 days, can be frozen and thawed multiple times before the coonsumer purchases it. I think this is why the Maine shrimp have a bad rap.

C'mon people get your bids in! Fresh Maine Shrimp delivered to your door! Woohooo!!!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

This guy sounds like he's on the ball. Wish I had friends with whom I could divide a shipment.

Your right Mr. GR:

This dealio seems best for

1) A smallish restaurant with some good ideas

2) Two or three friends who can split up the bounty among them

I have a routine these days: I buy two pounds for $5, have a few ame-ebi style, cook off the rest, clean off heads if purchased whole, then I have a pile of peel n' eats for three days, after which I make a chowder with the shell/head stock and the rest of the shrimp, cleaned. Seems to be keeping me in shrimp five days a week.

Only six weeks left in the season. :unsure:

Portland Food Map.com

I just got my mail and lo and behold Saveur issue #100 has SHRIMP on the cover :smile:

I dropped everything and tore through it. Indeed, Maine shrimp has a little section all to itself and are heralded throughout the article as distinctive in their sweetness. Fore Street's Sam Hayward weighs in with a great shrimp chowder recipe which beats the hell out of mine, but hey, he's Sam Hayward. Needless to say, I'm all over that next week.

Thank you folks from Saveur, you rock!

Portland Food Map.com

I had dinner at a decent Portland restaurant recently and ordered a dish that screamed out "perfect for Maine shrimp". I didn't think to ask before i ordered, but when the chef himself delivered the plate, covered in tiny shrimp (not looking very Maine-like), i asked him if he used Maine shrimp and he said no - stating that they are too labour-intensive to peel, so he used "imported" shrimp.

Pity - the critters tasted more like, um, nothing, than the sweet flesh i've become (re)accustomed to this winter. Not that it was a bad dish, but it could have been So Much Better.

I had dinner at a decent Portland restaurant recently and ordered a dish that screamed out "perfect for Maine shrimp".  I didn't think to ask before i ordered, but when the chef himself delivered the plate, covered in tiny shrimp (not looking very Maine-like), i asked him if he used Maine shrimp and he said no - stating that they are too labour-intensive to peel, so he used "imported" shrimp. 

Pity - the critters tasted more like, um, nothing, than the sweet flesh i've become (re)accustomed to this winter.  Not that it was a bad dish, but it could have been So Much Better.

That's bogus, shel, damn. What about all the fresh, peeled shrimp I see for $4.79 a pound??? Lazy, uninformed bastard! Perhaps he's not paid enough to care, or the bags of frozen shrimp come in a big order with other products from one supplier so it's just easier. You saved that place some grief from me by with-holding their identity

Portland Food Map.com

In my opinion, if you own a restaurant, you should care, but I decided that during weekend dinner service was not the time to pick a fight. I'll follow up with him though, and let y'all know what I hear.

After several weeks of shelled shrimp, my local WF is back to the unshelled variety @ $5.99 / lb.

I am back to my earlier instinct that they have better flavor if you shell them yourself immediately before cooking.

I have gotten better at it thanks to johnnyd's tips above, though I'm still no speed demon. I find that if you give the shell a gentle little wiggle before attempting to strip it, this helps loosen it & greatly increases your odds of being left with a whole, untorn shrimp.

A few more weeks to hone my technique. The season is waning but it's been considerably better (for me) than last year's. No intestinal virus in January, that's always a plus. :smile:

I love those little Maine shrimp. I remember the first time I made them for my mom when she vistied me on MDI; she thought they were cooked because they are so pink when raw.

One of my faves with them was to make a risotto. Use the shells to make stock and go. The nice sweet shrimp are perfect.

S. Cue