• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

nachos

xdrixn

gallery_29688_3266_123176.jpg

No nacho thread? Well here it goes. We, wife and I, eat nachos 2-4 times a month, always in. Most of the time it's just a quick pico de gallo, beans, guac and a lot of jalapenos. If we've planned we'll do something like chipotle chicken, tomatillo salsa or one of my favorites roasted poblano and roasted garlic salsa. We're not reinventing the wheel or anything just some serious grubbin'.

washed down with 2 shots tequila mixed with 1 shot grand mariner, 1 tb sugar, juice of 3 limes, mint and club soda.

awesome.

how do you do them and would you support a nacho bar?

www.adrianvasquez.net

I have nachos when I work late and want something quick. I use dessert pepper black bean dip, jalapenos, and shredded cheese (one of those mexican mixes you find in the super market). I microwave it for 2-5 minutes to melt the cheese (and the quick time in the microwave keeps the chips crunchy).

Edit: I put my cheese on top of everything.

Edited by jturn00 (log)

gallery_29688_3266_123176.jpg

No nacho thread?  Well here it goes.  We, wife and I, eat nachos 2-4 times a month, always in.  Most of the time it's just a quick pico de gallo, beans, guac and a lot of jalapenos.  If we've planned we'll do something like chipotle chicken, tomatillo salsa or one of my favorites roasted poblano and roasted garlic salsa.  We're not reinventing the wheel or anything just some serious grubbin'.

washed down with 2 shots tequila mixed with 1 shot grand mariner, 1 tb sugar, juice of 3 limes, mint and club soda.

awesome.

how do you do them and would you support a nacho bar?

What - NO CHEESE??? ARE YOU NUTS! Nachos and cheese are a mandatory combination (so says I!).

Although, when I take a closer look it seems that I detect a sprinkling of cheese...am I correct? You did not mention it in your description!!!

P.S If those nachos do contain cheese (and I must ad that they look mighty good) I might advice that they need MORE, much MORE cheese....mmmm

Mine, I change it up...but I ALWAYs have cheese (I too usually use a mixed mexican blend), and sour cream....usually ground beef (assuming I have it), beans if they are around, shredded lettuce, salsa, and if I am lucky gauc. Oh yeah, I often times also use the cansiter of gooey cheese too (you know, like the whiz).

DELISH. For times sake I usually go microwave mode, if I am feeling patient i will use the oven.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

A simple but excellent combo:

tortilla chips, habanero jack cheese, fresh tomatoes and a little bit of chopped onion

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

funny you should post this as i just had nachos this weekend...at a taqueria...$7.50 for a plate which included the following:

a ton of chips, refried beans, cheese, carnitas (literally about two pounds worth), guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo.

this taqueria is soooo good and their nachos are delicious. i can barely finish 1/3 of the plate, but i order it all for myself :biggrin:

I'm a purist. I like my nachos with cheese, and maybe some jalapeno, but nothing else actually on the nachos. Pico de gallo is fine, but a nice cooked salsa is even better, and sour cream is optional. Not actually to be placed on the nachos, but as a dip (I spoon them on individual bites).

I'm a purist.  I like my nachos with cheese, and maybe some jalapeno, but nothing else actually on the nachos.  Pico de gallo is fine, but a nice cooked salsa is even better, and sour cream is optional.  Not actually to be placed on the nachos, but as a dip (I spoon them on individual bites).

Agreed. That's my preference as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oven at 500F, lousy cookie sheet covered with chips, then pickled jalapeno slices, very finely minced red onion, some really good pinto beans cooked in bacon fat and a little onion, cooked chorizo, cumin, habanero hot sauce, and jack or cheddar cheese.

Quick note: my Mexican-American grandmother-in-law who lives in Bisbee, Arizona prefers the nachos at Dairy Queen.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Er, hmmm. Not everyone likes boatloads of melted cheese. Nachos with home smoked and pulled pork doesn't need cheese. Peppers, yes. If pushed, a light dusting of cheese, but only when pushed.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Er, hmmm.  Not everyone likes boatloads of melted cheese. 

Well said. My biggest problem with most restaurants' nachos (and pizza for that matter) is that there is too much cheese. I like a good flavorful cheese on my nachos, not just a heaping melted pile of jack.

That said, the key ingredient for nachos is: Bacon.

Bacon, red onion, hot peppers and some fresh goat cheese - maybe a light sprinkle of jack just to get the crusty cheese bits around the edges. Good to go.

-Dan

Omigod I'm drooling at your photos and descriptions. Looks like I'll be making nachos tonight. I never thought of using bacon and goat cheese but that sounds so delicious.

Normally I use really good, thick tortilla chips, chicken (if I have it around), black beans, whatever chiles I can scrape up, a modest amount of cheese (I agree that too much is just too much) and guacamole. Then I dip the individual chips in spicy tomato salsa.

I love nachos - always have, always will. Sometimes it's just a plate of chips & cheese melted in the microwave with sour cream and salsa - but that is just for a quick "i need cheese" moment.

Real nachos are chips on a sheet pan with cheese (cheddar & pepper jack) thin slices of fresh jalepeno and white onion as well as some black olives.

I heat up either traditional refried beans or some refried black beans or plain black beans (whatever I have on hand as all are good) and when they are hot I dab the beans on top.

Into the oven under broil but the rack is in the middle.

When the outside chips start to get a little brown around the edges and the cheese is melted I take them out.

Then everyone gets what they like for toppings but I like to add pickled jalapeno, sour cream, guac, fresh tomato and of course sour cream. Cilantro too.

YUM!!

Upthread the idea of sauteing pinto beans in bacon is brillant!

Er, hmmm.  Not everyone likes boatloads of melted cheese.  Nachos with home smoked and pulled pork doesn't need cheese. Peppers, yes.  If pushed, a light dusting of cheese, but only when pushed.

I know! I just tend to go overbaord on cheese - side effect of being a cheese addict I suppose. You are right though, I def. know that everyone has their own preference(s). I was not TRYING to come across as "my way or the highway".

now, go and enjoy some nachos (because your sound yummy too!)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I am a HUGE fan of nachos... especially since there are endless possibilities for toppings and you can make them almost any time with what's already in the house. Below is an appetizer version I made for friends that stopped by unannounced. Blue corn tortillas with leftover venison chili, cheddar cheese, and minced green pepper and red onion. The chips were really big, so I topped them individually and then baked for a few minutes. Yum!

gallery_41726_3961_17025.jpg