• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2002-2007)

scout

Well it looks like me and the missus are off to the Fish House in Stanley Park for her birthday.... DOV - perfect timing for the student budget; just a shame it don't extend to Valentine's :raz:

anyone seen the menu? what's the duck like?

Cheers

PS On a total other thread - I'll be hitting the big 3-0 in April. Me, the missus in her best, sexiest outfit and a couple of C-notes to spluge on the night... Anyone recommend on good wine and restaurant for the night... West is definetly in contention....

if you want to have a memorable dinner, call ahead and arrange a six course to ten course tasting menu for you and your gal.

it shouldn't be any trouble. we like to please. :smile:

do wines by the glass or do short-pour pairings suggested by the sommelier. depending on when your birthday is, avoid friday and saturday nights. the best are tues, wed, thurs.

call ahead and talk to the manager about what you want. give them your budget.

my suggestions

1. lumiere

2. west

3. bis moreno

4. the beach house

5. brix

6. c restaurant

best of luck, mzungu. (isn't that a xhosa name, van suid afrika? or is it swahili for white man, can't remember...) :unsure:

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

We've got reservations at Coast and Il Giardino.

The third we want to try is Chambar but i'm thinking this is a lost cause. Starting the first day of DOV reservations, we have been leaving messages without as much as a call back. :angry:

Anyone else having these same issues there?

The third we want to try is Chambar but i'm thinking this is a lost cause.  Starting the first day of DOV reservations, we have been leaving messages without as much as a call back.    :angry:

Their voicemailbox is now full, you can't even leave a message. Give it some time; they are obviously overwhelmed.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Time, and babysitting, constraints being what they are we will do Lift and Pastis one old favourite and one newcomer.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I am embarrased to say that my wife and I love to use DOV as en excuse to get together with friends who we rarely see and to meet new ones so we have booked a table of 8 for nine of the nights.

We are heading to...

1) Bis Moreno

2) Coast

3) West (Egullet)

4) Five Sails

5) Cafe de Paris

6) Gotham

7) Parkside

8) Raincity

9) Irish Heather

10) C Restaurant

We still have some seats available for Irish Heather (Feb. 2), Raincity (Jan. 31) and Five Sails (Jan. 24th) if any Egulleters want to join us.

See you all at West!

Eric

The third we want to try is Chambar but i'm thinking this is a lost cause.  Starting the first day of DOV reservations, we have been leaving messages without as much as a call back.    :angry:

Their voicemailbox is now full, you can't even leave a message. Give it some time; they are obviously overwhelmed.

I phoned Chambar rather early on New Year's Day and was hopefully one of the first in their voicemail queue. At that time, their recorded message indicated that the restaurant would be closed until January 7; this, I gather, is the reason that their mailbox is full and that they haven't returned any calls as of yet. I hope. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I phoned Chambar rather early on New Year's Day and was hopefully one of the first in their voicemail queue. At that time, their recorded message indicated that the restaurant would be closed until January 7; this, I gather, is the reason that their mailbox is full and that they haven't returned any calls as of yet. I hope. :rolleyes:

You are correct. I think one of the staff members had the voicemail forwarded to their house but it sounds like that did not work out. No worries , just call on the 7th and you should get in.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

It's amusing how Chambar's meteoric rise has granted them a license of sorts to shut down until the 7th, communicate with customers via a clogged voice mail system, and glide by in the service department lately. How long can the love affair last? :unsure:

Even i'm feeling the love. right now, the chambar blog is the busiest page on my site due to hundreds of google referrals. It's freakish. If you type in "chambar restaurant" on google right now, our master page comes up. Presumably this is because everyone is trying to contact them while they are shut down. I don't know.

I hope they start answering their phones soon, just long enough for me to bill them for bandwidth! :blink:

Andrew

editor@waiterblog.com

waiterblog.com

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Even i'm feeling the love. right now, the chambar blog is the busiest page on my site due to hundreds of google referrals. It's freakish. If you type in "chambar restaurant" on google right now, our master page comes up.

He ain't kidding! :laugh:

It's rather humorous too that Chambar's own web site comes up #8 on the list!

A.

Good Lord girl , if egullet is not good for anything else , at least you can use it to get back door reservations !

PM John Jameson your reso and I'm sure it will work out.

Sean just called and managed to fit us in during what is a really busy time for them. I'm excited! :smile:

Update:  Got a phone call from Chambar about 30 minutes ago and my DOV table is booked!  :biggrin:

Excellent, this give me hope! BTW has here anyone tried "Lift" yet? Love the building, how's the food? I think this may be our alternate if Chambar doesn't work out.

We are heading out of town on the 24th for about a month so I really am trying to make the 3 days that we are here for DOV count. :wacko:

Hmm, seems like I'm not the only person who's going to be a little piggy this year.

I've booked

:wub: West restaurant

:smile: Le Gavorche

:smile: Chambar

:smile: C Restuarant

:smile: Feenie

I went to DOV last year at Feenie and I wasn't impressed with their food. I had to sent it back because of scallops shells tossed into my pasta... (when it came back the shrimps weren't cooked through)... so we'll see how well they perform this year. If I'm not satisifed again, I'm never going back. :wacko:

I can't wait for West. :) Unfortunately I won't be able to dine out with fellow egulleters because my friends wanted to go as well, and they wouldn't be comfortable meeting new people that they don't know.

Let's see: Parkside, Maurya and Bis Moreno at this point. On a waitlist for West but I don't have high hopes for anything there. Can't make the Egullet West night as we'll be finishing an avalanche safety course and will likely be too tuckered out :wacko: to be sociable.

Price isn't a consideration for this event.

Ling, I'd go to the Irish Heather any time but I happen to have some short ribs in the oven right now (Beef Short Ribs - Kalbi from egullet cooking) that is absolutely driving us nuts with it's cooking smells (neighbours knocking at the door so we had to turn out the front lights :hmmm: ) .

That's about all for now.

On a waitlist for West but I don't have high hopes for anything there.

I may be able to help you out. I have reservations for 4 on Friday Jan 21 and again for 4 on Friday Jan 28. I am only going for 1 of those;I just don't know which one yet. If you, are anyoneone else wants one of those nights, let me know. The reservations are for 9:30pm.

Derek

I just realized I made a silly mistake. I work till 6pm and I made a reservation for 5:45pm at West on Jan 28 (Friday). My friend who is going with me also works till 6pm!

ARGHhhh, I wasn't thinking at the time. I guess the two of us have to skip work early to dine. Heheh.