• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2002-2007)

scout

You all better hurry. I called Lumiere yesterday and they only had a single spot left, which is probably gone by now. Also, I believe C is getting close to being full. I think all the big names will be snapped up damn quick as usual.

You all better hurry.  I called Lumiere yesterday and they only had a single spot left, which is probably gone by now.  Also, I believe C is getting close to being full.  I think all the big names will be snapped up damn quick as usual.

Call me naiive, but I thought they were only taking reservations starting January 1, 2005. Is this a case of some places doing whatever they want, regardless of what the promotion says?

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

I think that is exactly the case. I know that Gotham will not book until 05, but C and Lumiere are already largely booked. The person at Lumiere made it sound as if they had been taking reservations for quite a while. Not exactly a level playing field, as those in the know probably already have the all the reso's they want, while we are left scrounging for the leftovers.

Call me naiive, but I thought they were only taking reservations starting January 1, 2005.  Is this a case of some places doing whatever they want, regardless of what the promotion says?

A.

Of course it is - Lumiere , C and others will use this promotion to reward their regulars, concierge's and assorted other persons of interest. The bottom line is still an opportunity to dine at many of the city's better restaurants for very reasonable prices.

If Tourism Van wants to discipline those who break the rules they can, but likely won't, do so.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Call me naiive, but I thought they were only taking reservations starting January 1, 2005.  Is this a case of some places doing whatever they want, regardless of what the promotion says?

A.

Of course it is - Lumiere , C and others will use this promotion to reward their regulars, concierge's and assorted other persons of interest. The bottom line is still an opportunity to dine at many of the city's better restaurants for very reasonable prices.

If Tourism Van wants to discipline those who break the rules they can, but likely won't, do so.

Obviously that's a trivial offence when compared to the unforgivable sin of leaking your menu in advance! :rolleyes:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I've chosen Bis Moreno and the Irish Heather. And of course, I'll be there at West for the egullet dinner.

(I already know what I'm ordering at all three restaurants. Anyone else like to pre-plan? :raz: )

The Irish Heather menu looks great--I love stick-to-your-ribs type of food. I can't wait to eat the beer-braised shortribs and blue cheese polenta! Their Dine-Out menu is a steal at $15!

So which restaurants have you chosen? Have you been there before? Was price/value a factor?

Of my choices, I've only been to West. I chose Bis Moreno based on their menu, and the fact that I live in the same building and have been wanting to try their food. I chose the Irish Heather because of the short ribs and the fact that they have a mixed nut sugar pie as a dessert option. Price was also a consideration.

Ling,

Lucky you. I love Bis Moreno. The room is stunningly simple. I haven't seen his dine-out menus but his set menus are usually fantastic. Good service, too.

The West dinner i'm looking forward to, but i'm also thinking about going to Wild Rice (no reservations...), which shares the Irish Heather price tag of $15.

I'm going to miss Ken Brooks' Marine Drive this month. Out of the handful of places i went last year, it was tops for Dine Out...

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com :blush:

PS> anyone except me notice that service can take a nose dive during Dine Out?

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

In addition to the eGullet dinner at West, we were planning on trying both C and Lumiere. Now that the menus are out, C is definately on the list, but we're going to pass on Lumiere. Their menu just doesn't seem very compelling.

We're big planners, too, Ling! :biggrin: I'll be having the soup (what the heck is a lobster knuckle anyway???), risotto and chocolate sourdough cake.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Well, there's the eGullet dinner at West.

Passed on Cru as we'll be there this Sunday for the Shiraz/Syrah Dinner extravaganza and were also recently there just before Christmas. Also passed on Parkside as we dine there semi-regularly enough and Il Giardino as we enjoyed Dine Out there last year.

We have confirmed reservations at both Circolo ($35) and Bistro Pastis ($25) and are still waiting to hear back from Chambar ($25). Was also debating on Diva and Le Gavroche but wasn't gobsmacked by their menus. And am still thinking about booking at either Coast as I'm curious about the room or Cafe de Paris as I'm curious about how they're doing with a new chef at the helm. Mind you, the planner in me still is hoping to see the menu for Cafe de Paris but it hasn't been posted yet. :rolleyes:

Price wasn't really a factor in my decisionmaking process. As far as I'm concerned, Dine Out is a great value whichever price point you choose. Rather, it was a combination of how tantalized I was by the menu and whether or not I've dined there recently (or at all, for that matter). Though we make a point of visiting John Blakely at least a couple of times a year, it's been a few months since we've dined at Bistro Pastis. And it's been a few years since our last outrageous blowout dinner at Circolo. So there you have it.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

West - eG dinner

Irish Heather - wouldn't have even seen this rib-sticking-goodness (thanks Ling!).

C - always wanted to try it.

H St. Grill

Star Anise (unconfirmed) - if my dinner buddy can't decide where else.

Cafe de Paris (unconfirmed date) - with an old culinary school buddy to check out our chef!

Price wasn't a consideration (except that I don't usually get to try this many places on my budget). Good times. Can't wait til February's DOFL rolls around.

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Neil,

We haven't accepted reservations until today. We have been closed today for lunch and I arrived here around 9am. Up to now ( 6:00 pm )we have accepted 600 reservations and the phone is jammed - I can't even dial out - have to use a cell phone to call the butcher,fish and veg guys. There must be 100 emails for reservations also....

All we ask before you call - have the your time and date decided. Be flexible and patient.

David

In addition to West, we have reservations at Raincity, La Terraza, Feenie's. Aqua Riva and CinCin. Think I'm going to stop there for health reasons.  :raz:

Well, for budgetary reasons, I've stopped at the following dinners:

• West
  • Le Gavroche

However if I've read correctly, The Hamilton Street Grill will be doing a DOV menu for lunch, so that will be added ... as will a lunch at The Banana Leaf to support Restaurants for Relief.

Oh yeah ... Latin Quarter on the 15th, and a dinner this weekend in Kamloops for a friends 40th ...

Did I mention I'm on a budget?

A.

We did a $50 over-the-phone reso deposit for this new years eve.

even though dine out is a different animal, the number of no-shows could still hurt.

it made us nervous, potentially pissing off our regulars by not "trusting" them.

but the number shrunk from 20% of our reservations being no-shows last year to 5% this year.

it seemed to work, and our guests seemed to take it in stride.

i hope you have room, David. :smile:

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

If price were no object, my other choices would have been Coast, Circolo, Parkside, possibly Raincity Grill for the elk, and Roy's Steakhouse for the 10oz veal T-bone and bourbon pecan pie with whiskey cream, just because I'm a glutton.

...and a bit of a carnivore I might add. :laugh::laugh:

Derek

If price were no object, my other choices would have been Coast, Circolo, Parkside, possibly Raincity Grill for the elk, and Roy's Steakhouse for the 10oz veal T-bone and bourbon pecan pie with whiskey cream, just because I'm a glutton.

I can be a carnivore, but I'm actually a true dessertarian at heart. :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

I can be a carnivore, but I'm actually a true dessertarian at heart. :wub:

Yes, I should have realized that by your list of "Current Obsessions" :biggrin:

Derek