• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2002-2007)

scout

Just curious about last year's Dine Out...which restaurants were booked up first?  It would help give a better idea of what to anticipate.

Last years thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=80568

Edited by kevfoodvan (log)

Hamilton Street Grill

LOL...shameless plug I'm sure. :raz:

In all honesty I am interested in trying out the HSG, just depends if the Dine Out menu has this fabled Hanger Steak and Gingerbread Pudding. If not perhaps I will visit sooner...

Edited by jlo mein (log)

Hamilton Street Grill

LOL...shameless plug I'm sure. :raz:

In all honesty I am interested in trying out the HSG, just depends if the Dine Out menu has this fabled Hanger Steak and Gingerbread Pudding. If not perhaps I will visit sooner...

I am thinking of not doing the hanger steak this year. I have done it for two years and it has served me well, but it might be time to try something else.

I will always sell hanger steak as a feature, so you can get it any time.

A serious respnse to your question is that The tasting Bar at Lumiere, West and Gotham fill in a matter of minutes.

I do not know if Gotham is going to participate this year.

The deal at the Tasting Bar at Lumiere can pretty much be had all year round as the pricing is not far off of Dine Out.............save this one for another night to avoid the craziness. Also a great way to name drop Lumiere into your conversation during non Dine Out...........................

"Oh, I was at Lumiere AGAIN this week ! :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I will always sell hanger steak as a feature, so you can get it any time.

And you will always sell hanger steak because it kicks serious ass so there's no need to have in on a dineout menu. Maybe you can offer it as a side :biggrin: I'll have the salmon with a sideof hanger steak mwahahah.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 2 weeks later...
Quattro's dine out menu looks almost exactly the same as the menu they used for the S. Pallegrino event a few months ago.

Eagrely anticipating the release of the restaurants participating this year. Restaurants i would love to check out but not sure if they are participating in DOV...

1.) Fuel

2.) RCB (Connor Butler)

3.) West

4.) Rare

5.) Lucky Diner

I am not making any resolutions of trying to lose weight in January, not until Dine Out is over.

Quattro's dine out menu looks almost exactly the same as the menu they used for the S. Pallegrino event a few months ago.

Mine is fairly similar as well.

DOV will be about ten times the volume.

Tried and true, giving the people what they want.

( my New Years resolution ! )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Eagrely anticipating the release of the restaurants participating this year. Restaurants i would love to check out but not sure if they are participating in DOV...

1.) Fuel

2.) RCB (Connor Butler)

3.) West

4.) Rare

5.) Lucky Diner

I am not making any resolutions of trying to lose weight in January, not until Dine Out is over.

1.) Fuel is not on the list, but Gastropod is.

2.) RCB (Connor Butler) is not on the list

3.) West is on the list

4.) Rare is on the list

5.) Lucky Diner is not on the list, but LK Dining is.

The list and menus are viewable on the Tourism Vancouver site, but you have to do some modifications to your browser security settngs.

Edited by DarkDante (log)

Lumiere Restaurant is not participating in Dine Out Vancouver 2007

Bugger. Looks like the tasting bar is where it's at then!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

So many tempting menus... so far I can hear the following places calling my name (all new-to-me restaurants, except from Chambar whose menu looks too good to miss!):

- Bacchus

- Bravo Bistro

- Cassis

- Chambar

- Figmint

- Parkside

- Trafalgars

I am also waffling on Star Anise, mostly because I live a few blocks away, yet for some reason I never took the time to give it a try. Has anyone been there recently? Recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Now to find some dining partners... unfortunately my boyfriend tends to be a picky eater and he dislikes crowds, so I am afraid he will have to stay home while I eat my way through DOV :raz: Oh well. I will take him for a pre-birthday dinner at the HSG before the Dine Out madness begins to make up for it :smile:

Emmanuelle

Parkside has bone marrow dumplings on their menu. Oh wow. That's one place I've added to my list :)

I made a reso at Gastropod on Open Table yesterday, following the link from the DOV site, and there was a note on the confirmation that the reso "did not qualify for the DOV menu."

:huh:

I emailed them instantly and have not yet heard back, but I wonder if any of you have noticed this kind of comment, or have any idea what kind of special reservation or secret code you have to enter to get a "qualifying" reso :hmmm:

(I will phone them if they do not return my email, but figured it was worth a shot to see if any of you have experienced similar)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I made a reso at Gastropod on Open Table yesterday, following the link from the DOV site, and there was a note on the confirmation that the reso "did not qualify for the DOV menu."

I emailed them instantly and have not yet heard back, but I wonder if any of you have noticed this kind of comment, or have any idea what kind of special reservation or secret code you have to enter to get a "qualifying" reso :hmmm:

(I will phone them if they do not return my email, but figured it was worth a shot to see if any of you have experienced similar)

I made a reservation for Gastropod on Open Table and didn't notice the same comment. The confirmation email had the following info:

NOTES ABOUT THIS RESERVATION:

To take advantage of the Dine Out Vancouver fixed-price offer, be sure to

request the special menu when you arrive. In an effort to accommodate all

reservation requests during this event, the restaurant asks that you respect the

1.5 hour dining time allotted each party.

I will double-check that mail when I get home. Thanks for the info. The "not qualifying" note was in the confirmation page on Open Table, but I didn't read the email I got from Open Table later particularly closely.

Edited for clarification. I still have not received a return email from the restaurant, which I contacted directly.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

I made a reservation for Gastropod on Open Table and didn't notice the same comment. The confirmation email had the following info:

NOTES ABOUT THIS RESERVATION:

To take advantage of the Dine Out Vancouver fixed-price offer, be sure to

request the special menu when you arrive. In an effort to accommodate all

reservation requests during this event, the restaurant asks that you respect the

1.5 hour dining time allotted each party.

I will double-check that mail when I get home. Thanks for the info.  The "not qualifying" note was in the confirmation page on Open Table, but I didn't read the email I got from Open Table later particularly closely.

Edited for clarification. I still have not received a return email from the restaurant, which I contacted directly.

OK, they've phoned me and all is well. I'm eager to try, I've heard good reports.

Agenda-free since 1966.

After reading Deborah's comments I checked my reservations (made yesterday) for HSG, Rare and Chambar. All three say that they do not qualify for DOV as well. Contacted Chambar and their vmail box full. Ryan at HSG didn't know anything about this; he checked my reso for me and said no problems...

I've already had to cancel Rare :sad:

I have a feeling OpenTable had this note to discourage people from booking way in advance of the release of DOV participants to the public and simply hadn't updated the website by early yesterday.

On another note - I thought JJ's Fine Dining at VCC actually had one of the better DOV offerings (rack of lamb at 15 bucks!). They sold out at 10:30 this morning.

Edited for clarification: I canceled the reservation for Rare because of a personal commitment I wasn't aware of at the moment I booked, nothing to do with OpenTable confirmation or Rare.

Edited by rm_blizzard (log)

After reading Deborah's comments I checked my reservations (made yesterday) for HSG, Rare and Chambar.  All three say that they do not qualify for DOV as well.  Contacted Chambar and their vmail box full.  Ryan at HSG didn't know anything about this; he checked my reso for me and said no problems...

I've already had to cancel Rare  :sad:

I have a feeling OpenTable had this note to discourage people from booking way in advance of the release of DOV participants to the public and simply hadn't updated the website by early yesterday.

On another note - I thought JJ's Fine Dining at VCC actually had one of the better DOV offerings (rack of lamb at 15 bucks!).  They sold out at 10:30 this morning.

I wonder where that came from? We never asked for Open Table to say anything about who qualifies or not for DOV, we thought everyone did. Interesting. I will send you a PM regarding extended dates for DOV that we are offering in case you can not find your orignal time. If anyone else is interested you can send me an email or PM. Sorry for any confusion.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

One of the good deals I've seen in DOV. is on Unwined. For 15 bucks you have these choices for the entree.

Rack of Venison with marscarpone whipped potatoes, seasonal vegetables and a juniper berry reduction

-- or --

Seared Scallop with leek and potato ravioli served with a butter sauce

-- or --

Thyme-scented Free Range Chicken Breast with marscarpone whipped potatoes, seasonal vegetables and a pumpkin reduction

I think I'll have the Rack of Venison and the Seared Scallop dinners. $30.00 for both dinners and I'm still 5 bucks ahead if I go to HSG or other $35 places.

One of the good deals I've seen in DOV. is on Unwined. For 15 bucks you have these choices for the entree.

Rack of Venison with marscarpone whipped potatoes, seasonal vegetables and a juniper berry reduction

-- or --

Seared Scallop with leek and potato ravioli served with a butter sauce

-- or --

Thyme-scented Free Range Chicken Breast with marscarpone whipped potatoes, seasonal vegetables and a pumpkin reduction

I think I'll have the Rack of Venison and the Seared Scallop dinners. $30.00 for both dinners and I'm still 5 bucks ahead if I go to HSG or other $35 places.

That looks like a great deal!

What are their regular prices like ? If they are like that, I think I know where I am going to try real soon, possibly before DOV.

Let us know how the DOV goes.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill