• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2002-2007)

scout

Why do we love this business again?

Staff drinks? :huh:

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew..........

I work in a hotel........ Staff drinks don't exist anywhere that the Human Resources party poopers/liability experts exist.

I haven't had a staff drink since......... 1998.

mmmmm.. staff drinks.....

Hopefully I will revisit them soon, as I am out on the job hunt.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

I work in a hotel........ Staff drinks don't exist anywhere that the Human Resources party poopers/liability experts exist.

I'll trade you my staff drinks for your higher wage and benefits anyday!!!

Edited by winegeek (log)

Derek

I couldn't resist the idea of being able to authentically try out a restaurant at a Dine Out prix fixe price, so I booked Savory Coast [sic] for next week after seeing this thread.  I've been wanting to go there for a while anyway.  Anyone else watch Gaslight Gourmet sometimes?  Romy Prasad (I think) seems to do a lot of guest spots there, and is very charming on the show.  I called late last night, Thurs, Jan 19, and I know that they still had several spots open on Sun, Jan 29.  Possibly other days too.  There was a 5:30 pm for Fri Jan 27th too.  And, um, yah, I was thinking of having the half rack of lamb, or the Porterhouse for two (if it's available, and my dining companioin is in the mood for a big hung of meat, heh)...so I can't imagine they'd make any money on the food these two weeks if offering their entire menu.  But it gets the people in, and buying booze at least.  And very importantly, possibly up the stairs for the first time.  Seriously, if I'm impressed (i.e. they don't futz it up), this place is close to where I live, and I'm sure I'll be back.  Not only would I be more likely to think of them for a nice planned meal, I am already more likely to think of them for a spontaneous one.  Until I checked them out for Dine Out, I had no idea that they would have pastas on their menu for only $12 - 16 dollars, and wouldn't even think of them if I was in the area and wanting something nice but simple like that for a snack.  They have some pizzas too ($12 - 16).  And I just never seem to climb stairs up to a place unless I'm actually going to that place, so I don't even know what the place really looks like, despite walking past hundreds of times.  So I imagine the kind of promotion that gets people (locals) in the door the first time would be very good for them.  I hope it works out for them.

Mmm, there's lots of exciting food in my immediate future.  Parkside, Savory Coast, Yuji's (non DOV), AND Chinese New Year's eve dinner is within these two weeks too!  Ug, I'm going out for a run now...

Just wanted to report back, and give warning to anyone else going to Savory Coast for Dine Out. I went last night, and found that the entire regular menu was not offered, so this explains how they can afford to do it. They just didn't do it. I'm not sure when exactly their website was updated, maybe in the last couple of days, but not when I booked last week. Now you can see the menu there, but I think there are still a couple of items missing even from the online Dine Out menu. Their Dine Out menu is still pretty extensive (compared to most restaurants that offer a few choices for each course), but big items such as the half rack of lamb, porterhouse, all beef steaks (the online menu has one steak but I don't think there was one last night on the menu), lobster, some of the desserts (the ones I was looking forward to) are not on there. I was pretty disappointed, as the idea of having the whole menu offered was what drove me to making the reservation.

Our meal was hit and miss. Both our appetizers were interesting, and delightful. I had the crispy potato ravioli salad, and my friend had the potato and octopus salad. My roast pork loin main, while having a nice crispy crackling bit on the outside, was very dry and overcooked (yes, I regret not mentioning it to the staff now, but at the time, I was trying not to be a difficult guest, having already asked the waiter if their bread was their normal bread. Their house made foccacia is very dense, and ours was a bit charred on the outside). The dish comprised of three thin medallions. Saucing wasn't that impressive either. Admittedly, my expectations were pretty high as the only other Dine Out I've done this year was Parkside's remarkable meal (for only $25, while Savory Coasts was $35). My friend's osso bucco was tender, and was a nicer dish than the pork loin, but still not impressive. Despite the disappointment of the tiramisu and chevre cheese cake missing from the menu, I did enjoy the vanilla pannecotta that I ordered. Beautiful texture. It was really the only dessert of the choices that I would have wanted. The thin slice of apple tart tatin (as it was called in the menu. It didn't really have the caramel that I would normally expect) was nice enough. Drink menu was interesting though. All wines were BC wines, at $30 a bottle (with a few choices available by the glass for $6, and $11 for a half). I enjoyed the white sangria (reisling, peaches, liquers) that I started with.

Basically, I had a good time, the meal was hit and miss, but we had a nice table by the window, and staff were quite nice, and efficient, and now that their Dine Out menu is online, hopefully no one else will be disappointed in the menu change like I was. I wish I could go back in time and order a pasta or a fish dish for my main. Full description and pics to come to my blog soon, but I thought I would put a warning here in case anyone was inspired to book a table due to this thread.

Nancy

... I am not sure what you mean- none of the DOV participants that I know of are offering their full menu for the dine out price- although some may offer their full menu as well... is that what you mean? I guess some may be offering a prix fixe based on their full menu... :blink:

Edited to add "that I know of", in the interests of CMA, just in case somebody is, and if they are, please tell me immediately so I can proceed directly there. . :wink:

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I'll trade you my staff drinks for your higher wage and benefits anyday!!!

Actually, I'm in management, so the higher wage thing is a joke. And for the servers, the higher wage also means the possibility of working breakfast- ugh. That and 8 hour shifts - double ugh.

I'm looking forward to the prospect of possibly working in freestanding restaurants again. Restaurants are in the business of being the best restaurant. Hotels are in the business of filling rooms first, so it would be a nice change to get back to the roots.

Know anyone that's hiring? LOL.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

... I am not sure what you mean- none of the DOV participants that I know of are offering their full menu for the dine out price- although some may offer their full menu as well... is that what you mean? I guess some may be offering a prix fixe based on their full menu... :blink:

Edited to add  "that I know of", in the interests of CMA, just in case somebody is, and if they are, please tell me immediately so I can proceed directly there. .  :wink:

Just read upthread. Someone mentioned that Savory Coast was offering their whole menu - any appy, any main, and any dessert for $35 for Dine Out, and that immediately peaked my interest. The deal sounded too good to be true. And when I looked on the Dine Out website before making my reso, it said that too (and I browsed the restaurant's own website menu extensively too after making my reso last week). Now the restaurant's own website has a Dine Out version of their menu posted (with all the more expensive items removed). But this information came too late for me. I had already booked, and browsed and had my heart set on rack of lamb or a steak, and the cheesecake, and found out about the revised menu after arriving at the restaurant. Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone else who might have been in the same situation as me. The Dine Out site, as of this minute, still says "Entire Menu Offered at Dine out price of $35.00. Enjoy any appetizer, main course and dessert from the entire menu for $35.00 per person." without mentioning that it is a special "Dine Out menu" and not their regular menu. I find this misleading, and it led to unnecessary disappointment.

At the risk of being branded a complete snob, I have to say that at Diva last night, I noticed a whole whack of people who looked like they were dressed for McDonald's.

I know that currently, raggedy jeans and shirts that look like they've been in a drawer for the past 30 years are in style, and I am well aware of the relaxed dress code in Vancouver--I have worn jeans to West, albeit with dressy boots and jacket--but I was honestly surprised by the über-casual DOV-goers last night.

Somehow, a $35 DOV menu indicates to me that some sort of dressing-up is in order, even on a Sunday. Am I expecting too much?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

At the risk of being branded a complete snob, I have to say that at Diva last night, I noticed a whole whack of people who looked like they were dressed for McDonald's.

I know that currently, raggedy jeans and shirts that look like they've been in a drawer for the past 30 years are in style, and I am well aware of the relaxed dress code in Vancouver--I have worn jeans to West, albeit with dressy boots and jacket--but I was honestly surprised by the über-casual DOV-goers last night.

Somehow, a $35 DOV menu indicates to me that some sort of dressing-up is in order, even on a Sunday. Am I expecting too much?

At least they were wearing pants. At other places I’ve witness shorts and “wife-beaters”, albeit not together. Dammit people, put an effort into your appearance! Especially when you go out to a restaurant.

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

At least they were wearing pants. At other places I’ve witness shorts and “wife-beaters”, albeit not together. Dammit people, put an effort into your appearance! Especially when you go out to a restaurant.

:laugh:

And I don't mean to say people should wear ballgowns, or even cocktail dresses, just...to be presentable.

(oop, edited for a little quote code mishap)

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Their Dine Out menu is still pretty extensive (compared to most restaurants that offer a few choices for each course), but big items such as the half rack of lamb, porterhouse, all beef steaks (the online menu has one steak but I don't think there was one last night on the menu), lobster, some of the desserts (the ones I was looking forward to) are not on there.  I was pretty disappointed, as the idea of having the whole menu offered was what drove me to making the reservation. 

Our meal was hit and miss.  Both our appetizers were interesting, and delightful.  I had the crispy potato ravioli salad, and my friend had the potato and octopus salad.  My roast pork loin main, while having a nice crispy crackling bit on the outside, was very dry and overcooked (yes, I regret not mentioning it to the staff now, but at the time, I was trying not to be a difficult guest, having already asked the waiter if their bread was their normal bread.  Their house made foccacia is very dense, and ours was a bit charred on the outside).  The dish comprised of three thin medallions.  Saucing wasn't that impressive either.  Admittedly, my expectations were pretty high as the only other Dine Out I've done this year was Parkside's remarkable meal (for only $25, while Savory Coasts was $35).  My friend's osso bucco was tender, and was a nicer dish than the pork loin, but still not impressive.  Despite the disappointment of the tiramisu and chevre cheese cake missing from the menu, I did enjoy the vanilla pannecotta that I ordered.  Beautiful texture.  It was really the only dessert of the choices that I would have wanted.  The thin slice of apple tart tatin (as it was called in the menu.  It didn't really have the caramel that I would normally expect) was nice enough.  Drink menu was interesting though.  All wines were BC wines, at $30 a bottle (with a few choices available by the glass for $6, and $11 for a half).  I enjoyed the white sangria (reisling, peaches, liquers) that I started with. 

This being my first post, and a few years of lurking, I am a grom at this...but...

I went to Savory Coast last night for an 8pm reservation, and was seated promptly. The dining room was large and expansive, and was accommodating a large party at the time, so it was fairly noisy. If you are looking for somewhere to dine quietly after 8, it'll be a roll of the dice for you.

The menu is a scaled down menu from the original and technically, their entire menu (being offered at the time) is on sale for $35. My dining companions and I had no problems with the menu, as it had more items to choose from than the standard 3-4 per course at most DOV places. The first thing that arrived was the bread. It was a little charred on the top, but I'm assuming that it gets a bit of time in the wood burning oven, so the charring is part of the charm of the bread... :blink: .For the first course, I ordered the crispy deep fried calamari with spicy tomato caper sauce. My two dining companions had the warm goat cheese salad and salt spring island mussels, respectively. The calamari was very well done. It wasn't rubbery and overfried. It was well seasoned, and the spring salad garnish was the perfect accent to the spicyness of the calamari and the sauce. The mussels was also perfectly done and the white wine sauce was expertly seasoned. The salad, well, was a salad. I've never had goat cheese before, but I quite enjoyed the salad (whatever little I was allowed to taste.. :raz: ). For our main course, I had the veal osso buco with risotto à la milanese, gremolata, and natural jus. The veal was beautifully tender and the risotto, I would have liked to have spent a bit more time on the stove, as it was a tad crunchy. More al dente than I would have liked, but it was delicious, nonetheless. My friends had the NY striploin, and grilled salmon. Both mains were quite enjoyable. And last but not least, the dessert. Again, the dessert menu was scaled down from the original and did not include the tiramisu. I ordered the campari poached pear with brandy snap tuile, and my friends ordered a vanilla pannacotta and a apple tarte tatin. All three desserts were not too overwhelmingly sweet, which suited us very well.

Savory Coast is running their DOV menu until the end of February, so most of us can still get in on the deal. Executive Chef Romy Prasad was in the kitchen that night, and looking like he was running a tight ship. The wait staff was curteous and the ambiance was very festive. My friends and I quite enjoyed our dinner. Unfortunately, no wines involved here, because most of us are tea-tottlers.

thanks for the heads up dumpling girl about the savory coast dine out menu. i booked a reso for fri night because of what i'd read too in an earlier thread and also when i checked the tourismvancouver website it confirmed what i'd read so i'm disappointed to hear that it's not really the entire menu that is being offered... although i guess i shouldn't be too surprised.. lobster IS a little pricey at this time of year :wink:

• 10 months later...

Tourism Vancouver has announced the dates for Dine Out Vancouver - January 19-February 4. Participating restaurants to be announced the first week in January. You can even sign up for some kind of e-mail announcement.

Read more here.

Cheers,

Anne

Tourism Vancouver has announced the dates for Dine Out Vancouver - January 19-February 4.  Participating restaurants to be announced the first week in January.  You can even sign up for some kind of e-mail announcement.

Read more here.

We can neither confirm or deny participation at this point but it should be interesting to see how Open Table online reservations work this year.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I'll be in Vancouver for 2 nights before I drive up to Whistler. January the 15th is a Monday, any one place open for a good meal? It might be the only one in Vancouver, but what about in Whistler, I'll be there 6 nights?

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

Is it recommended that customers make phone reservations or online reservations?

Want to try many more this year, Hamilton Street Grill included (or perhaps just any old time with the regular menu).

If you use opentable every reso you make (and honour) gets you points toward a dining credit, so I like it.

I'll be in Vancouver for 2 nights before I drive up to Whistler. January the 15th is a Monday, any one place open for a good meal? It might be the only one in Vancouver, but what about in Whistler, I'll be there 6 nights?

What budget range? Casual or formal?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Last year opentable took reservations at midnight of the first day which meant anyone who called the morning of generally got turned away. I hope this year restraunts either put a cap on the number of tables bookable through opentable OR they make open table accept reso's at the same time a person could also call in and have someone take the reso.

Regardless I guess I'll be trying to get into some of the more popular spots at midnight ;)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Last year opentable took reservations at midnight of the first day which meant anyone who called the morning of generally got turned away.  I hope this year restraunts either put a cap on the number of tables bookable through opentable OR they make open table accept reso's at the same time a person could also call in and have someone take the reso.

Regardless I guess I'll be trying to get into some of the more popular spots at midnight ;)

Although there is a lag time of the speed of light, open table shows time slots as "booking" as someone is filling them out( they have about 4 minutes to complete information, or get bumped out ). It then becomes a race between the hostess and the online guest to jump to the next slot

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com