• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2002-2007)

scout

The problem with the theory on making reso's for yourself of course are that if you want to dine with friends you need to have one person make the reservation.
Well the least I can say is that the reso's I make are for places I will personally dine at.

Tell me you're just messing around. :huh:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

An increase in size, as well as a decrease in size are both very difficult to deal with, but a no show is horrible, and the highest rate of no shows happens during these times, DOV here in vancouver and Summerlicious/Winterlicious in toronto. A lot of people will pick friday the 20th for instance as their day to go out for DOV, and then leave 5 messages for that day on 5 different answering services and then forget to call back after deciding which is the best location. This is what drives everyone in restaurants crazy, as Daddy-A was saying not everyone has great manners, if they did DOV would the easiest dining experience to provide in the city. On the other side of things, if someone only wants to come in for water and lemon and DOV so be it, i think its great that these people are coming out to enjoy a dining experience. So to everyone enjoying DOV this year have great 2 to 3 and a half weeks (depending on which locations you are dining at) and i look forward to hopefully serving some of you.

Edited by ozver (log)

I am having the darndest time picking a restaurant to go with my mom, brothers (24 and 16) and my sister (12). It would be a birthday dinner, but since my mom is paying for the whole thing I am trying to find something on the $15 menu. I might have to supplement and push for the $25 menus.

Sandy and I shortlisted this $15 but we had too many booked to fit it in. But it is indian food so it depends on tastes:

Ashiana Tandoori Restaurant $15

1440 Kingsway (Knight St.)

Vancouver BC V5N-2R5

604-874-5060

Fax: 604-874-5061, 604-951-4522

[Link]

Mind you I have never been so I can't attest to it.

I used to get delivery from Ashiana and it was always fantastic, but because my mom cooks a lot of curries at home and because I don't enjoy dessert at Indian restaurants it doesn't seem like a good fit for the special occasion.

If you do get an opening in your schedule it would be worth checking out. :smile:

Edited by JasmineL (log)

Tell me you're just messing around.  :huh:

I'm confused. Are you saying that you can decide with friends to eat somewhere and not have one person phone the restaurant?

I do apologise for being a little vague in my last statement. What i mean is if I am asked to call a place to book a table for a group, I ensure that >I< am one of the people eating there. I wanted to make it clear that I'm not a dining broker where I call like 30 places and book for "other people".

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I guess what Andrew is trying to say, is that trying to decide who is going to what restaurant AFTER the reservation is made, seems a little ridiculous. The group(s) should be decided before the reso is made. The dates for Dine Out have been set for months. We all knew it was coming. So you guys could not have decided say...two weeks ago?

The fact that you are making resos for yourself and your friends is very generous on your part. But I think that stating that you would not be making the reso unless you were going, is a little obvious. How many people do you know that make reservations for other people without intending to go themselves? It makes it sound like you are the personal assistant to your friends. Or a secretary....Anyway....i think that andrew was just baffled by the statement that you would never make a reso for a group that you were not a part of.....Who does that? Why would you? And that is HOW we get no shows in restaurants.

By the way folks....for those of you annoyed by the fact that Lumiere sold out so quickly....you can feel superior to those people who did get reservations....I worked it out....Lumiere tasting bar has a great deal all the time. The people who got in for dine out are only saving 50 cents. Go in anytime and get pretty much the same deal, and not have to put up with the chaos.

:biggrin:

By the way folks....for those of you annoyed by the fact that Lumiere sold out so quickly....you can feel superior to those people who did get reservations....I worked it out....Lumiere tasting bar has a great deal all the time.  The people who got in for dine out are only saving 50 cents.  Go in anytime and get pretty much the same deal, and not have to put up with the chaos.

:biggrin:

I figured that out too. :biggrin:

The people who got in for dine out are only saving 50 cents.  Go in anytime and get pretty much the same deal, and not have to put up with the chaos.

That's pretty much been my impression of DOV as a whole. Chances are if I'm going to visit a restaurant during DOV, I'd be going at some point anyway. And most places offer their DOV menu through to the end of February or so.

Then again, I'm probably not the type of person DOV is trying to reach.

A.

Lumiere tasting bar has a great deal all the time.  The people who got in for dine out are only saving 50 cents.  Go in anytime and get pretty much the same deal, and not have to put up with the chaos.

It's true. The Tasting Bar offers a three-course dinner (from the Lumiere kitchen) for $35, each and every night. Hopefully DOV will help to spread the word.

The people who got in for dine out are only saving 50 cents.  Go in anytime and get pretty much the same deal, and not have to put up with the chaos.

That's pretty much been my impression of DOV as a whole. Chances are if I'm going to visit a restaurant during DOV, I'd be going at some point anyway. And most places offer their DOV menu through to the end of February or so.

Then again, I'm probably not the type of person DOV is trying to reach.

A.

I've looked at all the menus...there are definitely some great deals, I think! I compared Vancouver's Dine Out menu with TO's Winterlicious menu too, and I think we're getting the better end of the bargain, by far! :wink:

I've looked at all the menus...there are definitely some great deals, I think! I compared Vancouver's Dine Out menu with TO's Winterlicious menu too, and I think we're getting the better end of the bargain, by far! :wink:

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

Lumiere tasting bar has a great deal all the time.  The people who got in for dine out are only saving 50 cents.  Go in anytime and get pretty much the same deal, and not have to put up with the chaos.

It's true. The Tasting Bar offers a three-course dinner (from the Lumiere kitchen) for $35, each and every night. Hopefully DOV will help to spread the word.

Thanks to both of you! I didn't work it out but saving .50? ha! I've been eyeing the tasting bar for a while now and being a Lumiere virgin I think I'll just pick a day outside DOV to go!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

You should check out the deal at Bymark in Toronto where for $35 bucks during Winterlicious if you go for the Tuna app - regular $20.95 - the chicken or Seabass (not sure why places keep serving this) entree - each regular $39.95 - and the chocolate cake or pavlova - regular $13.95 - noting that I have been there several times during Winter/Summerlicious during the past and during the week for business and there is no difference between going during Winderlicious and going during the week - you are saving close to $40 bucks for just one person.  I am not aware of any better deal than that out there.  I will be making my attempts to get into Bymark and Canoe again this year - if I can.  Although it looks like all the good places in Vancouver participate whereas, sadly, in Toronto there are not as many that seem to opt in.   :sad:

I did post on another board that out of all the Winterlicious menus, the Bymark one stood out for me. :smile: That is indeed a great deal! It's too bad that I won't be able to partake, but I'll pass it along to my aunt and uncle in TO...hopefully, there are still spots available. (The North 44 menu also appeals to me too, btw.)

Edited by Ling (log)

DOV is a promo designed to put bums in seats during a notoriously slow time of year, and that is the long and short of it.

To read Jamie's protocol list that started the thread, it is great to see some acknowledgement on do's and don't's to make the experience better for everyone.

In reality, however, for every person like me that gets dragged against my will to a restaurant that simplifies their DOV menu to the point that it isn't a true indication of what they offer year-round, there are a thousand people that approach DOV salivating more over the opportunity to save a few bucks than the food that they would be eating.

If I do go out for DOV, I definitely splurge in other areas (wine) to offset the savings on the meal, but the restaurant industry as a whole has already identified that this promo is not going to result in guest loyalty, which is the lifeblood of the business, because for the 3 thousand covers that you see in 2 weeks, you get a lot of "See you next year!" comments at the end of the night.

At least it results in more shifts for servers who wouldn't be working otherwise, which is great for staff retention.

I wish more people would take Jamie's advice, as DOV can easily cause more sick calls and vacation requests due to the guest behaviour that servers anticipate at the end of January.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

You should check out the deal at Bymark in Toronto where for $35 bucks during Winterlicious if you go for the Tuna app - regular $20.95 - the chicken or Seabass (not sure why places keep serving this)

I have been staying clear of seabass, which was previously a favorite of mine, since I become aware of the sustainability issue. I visited few different restaurants, and a few fish mongers carrying it and had to put in "my 2 cents" on the issue. I now have to retract some of my previous statements, as seabass is a word for a number of different fish, some of which are sustainable. From the Monterey Bay Aquarium site:

WrecKfish - also called Seabass - Wild Caught in the Atlantic Ocean is a great choice, and Black Seabass - Wild Caught in the Atlantic Ocean is a good choice.

It is just the Grouper - Seabass - Line Caught in the Atlantic Ocean and U.S. Gulf of Mexico that is the problem.

Now - what I am wondering is how we are really going to know what we are eating?

Ahh - That's right, Vancouver's Oceanwise program.

Gastronomista

You should check out the deal at Bymark in Toronto where for $35 bucks during Winterlicious if you go for the Tuna app - regular $20.95 - the chicken or Seabass (not sure why places keep serving this) entree - each regular $39.95 - and the chocolate cake or pavlova - regular $13.95 - noting that I have been there several times during Winter/Summerlicious during the past and during the week for business and there is no difference between going during Winderlicious and going during the week - you are saving close to $40 bucks for just one person.  I am not aware of any better deal than that out there.  I will be making my attempts to get into Bymark and Canoe again this year - if I can.  Although it looks like all the good places in Vancouver participate whereas, sadly, in Toronto there are not as many that seem to opt in.  :sad:

In most cases, I don't think the restaurant "gives" you 40 dollars pp throughout Winter/Summerlicious for their 3-course. I think corners are generally cut - whether that be a change in the quality of the ingredients (though sometimes this isn't the case when they mass-order a product), a portion size reduction, or selection of menu items where ingredients are cheap.

Butternut squash soup, anyone?

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Come to think about it, since the C lunch I began to become aware of sustainability. Indeed I also try to avoid sea bass these days.

fud did you manage to get reservations at Lumiere?

EDIT: wow that glass of wine affected my grammar :biggrin:

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Okay, after much debate I ended up booking a table for 5 at Aqua Riva.I've been to Aqua Riva a few times and have never experienced "fireworks of the culinary kind", but I know the teenagers in my family like the place and the view is lovely.

My 16 yr old brother is a bottomless pit, so portion size is a concern...and I have heard that the DOV portions at Aqua Riva are ample.He will probably eat half of my 12 year old sister's meal anyway.

I plan to drink enough wine to make up for the minors in our dining party...oh and probably my mom's allotment of wine too since I plan to make her drive me home. :P

Was at gotham last night, they sold out in the first day, 1400 resos they could not call out because of the incoming call volume.

Went to Gotham during a Dine Out (I think it was the year before last), with a large group, and had extraordinarily good service. Our server (don't know his name) had a great understanding of the potential of the event to gain new customers for the restaurant, and was a real pro. He was also very clear with explaining how they changed the portions for the Dine Out Menu, and that the steaks would be much different on a regular night. They had cut them much thinner horizontally, rather than having a smaller chunks of the same thickness as their normal steaks. To be honest, I was more impressed with the bread than the steak (probably would prefer a mini thick steak), but had a great time, and felt quite full afterwards, so the reduced portion wasn't really an issue. Just can't say enough about the server though. That's amazing how restaurants are selling out two weeks of reservations in one night!

Quick question this may sound stupid but is it to late to add a restaurant to DOV? If it isnt could someone please pm me a contact or info on how to do so, asap.

Thanks

Come to think about it, since the C lunch I began to become aware of sustainability. Indeed I also try to avoid sea bass these days.

fud did you manage to get reservations at Lumiere?

EDIT: wow that glass of wine affected my grammar  :biggrin:

Yeah Seabass is really in some serious trouble so I am avoiding it too even though I will admit that it is one of my favorite fishies.

No luck with Lumiere but thanks to a friendly suggestion from IrishGirl and Chris it turns out the tasting menu at Lumiere's is only $0.50 more any time of the year! So what the heck I mind as well just eat there whenever :)