• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2002-2007)

scout

One interesting observation:

Butternut squash is in like 30% of the menu's :)

- Butternut Squash Soup

- Butternut Squash Ravioli

- Butternut Squash risotto

I shouldn't have made squash soup a few days ago! I'll be butternutty by the end of this DOV.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The Tourism Vancouver website still appears to be having load issues. The Opentable website now has a list of the restaurants they can book at that are participating: http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?m=73&pid=158

Unfortunately it doesn't list the menus (at least not that I can find).

Not sure if that URL will work or not for others as it was after I logged in.

Cheers!

Darn that website...I've spent precious hours waiting, waiting....

Note: Nu is NOT accepting reservations - First come, first serve, which suits me just fine. Too bad they aren't serving the onion soup.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Just a thought, but try checking the individual restaurant websites. Many will be posting their DINE OUT menus now that it's the 3rd.

Nice to see some places are already booked. It's a whiff indicative of the homespun interest this town has in its own food scene. In the words of McD's, I'm lovin' it.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

The menus look even better this year! :biggrin: I was browsing the site last night, and I had such a difficult time choosing where I wanted to eat!! I've made reservations for Diva and Parkside so far. (BTW--Parkside's Dine Out menu is in effect from Jan. 16th-Feb. 5th). I'll probably choose another one or two places. :smile:

Hi Lorna, were you able to view menu's on the Tvan web site last night? Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I'm not sure if I want to hug or curse opentable.

Lumier - Sold out

Gothams -- Sold out

C - Available but large tables are sold out

This was as of 10am today (the first day of reservations!!)

Yup, Gotham (no S by the way) is always the first to sell out which is amazing as it's a lot bigger then a lot of the other restaurants.

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I was just sent the menu for Aurora Bistro by their PR person, and it looks particularly good. SO many choices. Mains look outstanding...(the one in bold raised my blood pressure considerably)

ENTREES Choices: Sweet Potato Blue Cheese Strudel with Ginger Porcini Mushroom Sauce | White Spring Salmon in Dashi with Sunchokes, Parsnips and Pickled Sea Asparagus | Maple Soy Roast Cornish Game Hen Wild Mushroom Polenta, Rustic Smoked Tomato Sauce | Red Wine Braised Lamb Cheeks Potato, Celeriac and Anchovy Hash, Sicilian Olive Sabayon

Andrew Morrison

The menus look even better this year! :biggrin: I was browsing the site last night, and I had such a difficult time choosing where I wanted to eat!! I've made reservations for Diva and Parkside so far. (BTW--Parkside's Dine Out menu is in effect from Jan. 16th-Feb. 5th). I'll probably choose another one or two places. :smile:

Hi Lorna, were you able to view menu's on the Tvan web site last night? Cate

Yes, I was looking at the menus last night through a link they send you when you give them your email address.

I was just sent the menu for Aurora Bistro by their PR person, and it looks particularly good. SO many choices. Mains look outstanding...(the one in bold raised my blood pressure considerably)

ENTREES Choices: Sweet Potato Blue Cheese Strudel with Ginger Porcini Mushroom Sauce | White Spring Salmon in Dashi with Sunchokes, Parsnips and Pickled Sea Asparagus | Maple Soy Roast Cornish Game Hen Wild Mushroom Polenta, Rustic Smoked Tomato Sauce | Red Wine Braised Lamb Cheeks Potato, Celeriac and Anchovy Hash, Sicilian Olive Sabayon

Kurtis/Jeff beware! My building strata wants to have a dineout 'meeting' and Aurora came up :) I already told them that a table for 20 would be, well, unlikely!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Cate, the Tourism Van site was slow to the point of impossibility or nearly so from 10:30 yesterday morning, and a bit better yesterday evening. Of course, my patience level with slow-loading sites is not high.

It appears that they were not expecting the deluge of hits they received. I would say that having the menus available for more than 24 hours before reservations can be taken (as they were last year--a week or so in advance?) would probably make it a little easier on their site. Meanwhile, we can always book on faith at old favourites :wink:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I was sittingly forlornly in front of the computer yesterday morning, clicking away hoping the TV.com site wouldn't time out. I finally made it on later that evening but it was still dreadfully slow. I perservered however, and decided that this year we're visiting Brix (a Mr. Cat favourite) and Parkside. I left a message at Parkside, who are evidently closed until Wednesday, and spoke to a real person at Brix. We're there on Friday the 27th and many of the prime dining times had filled up already.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Darn that website...I've spent precious hours waiting, waiting....

Note:  Nu is NOT accepting reservations - First come, first serve, which suits me just fine.  Too bad they aren't serving the onion soup.

Er, that was changed on the website recently - apparently they are.

And I do find it unbelievable Gotham and Lumiere have already sold out within hours in the first day. As well as the good tables in other restaurants.

EDIT:

The damn site keeps crashing !

They should have seen this coming !

My phone is ringing off the hook for people to fax them the menus because they can't get it online.

I was also surprised you didn't have GBP on the menu Mr Wyles !

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

In my mailbox tonight from Tourism Vancouver.

*We apologize for the current delay on our website.  Due to the overwhelming consumer response to Dine Out Vancouver, the website is taking longer to load.  This problem will be remedied shortly.

Are they lurking? :rolleyes::smile:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

And I do find it unbelievable Gotham and Lumiere have already sold out within hours in the first day. As well as the good tables in other restaurants.

Oh, I'll believe it! You'd be amazed at the number of people who pounce on DOV tables as soon as the preview menu goes out (before it goes "officially" live). My co-worker was telling me that he called and successfully made 2 resos on preview day as soon as he could get the TV.com up.

I think some people have also floated the theory that some participants let a few tables go before this date, mostly as a favour to regular customers.

Regardless, I do know that when I called Lumiere last year as earrrrrrrly as possible, I ended up with one of the very last tables they had (all that and Mr Cat hated the sablefish!).

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

GBP is on the $35.00 menu.

It is the less than subtle way for me to get people to spend more money.

The secret is out now.

Cheers

Neil

Ahhhh....You changed your menu from the one listed originally, eh?

Hm....

That menu was perhaps from last year. I edited my menu some time ago but it would appear that the gremlins got to it. I had not gone back to the TVan website to double check until today. I had to re-post it today, after trying many times to get into the slooooooow system. I was finally to later on this afternoon. What is up is what we are serving. You can go to www.diningoutguide.com for the full picture.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

GBP is on the $35.00 menu.

It is the less than subtle way for me to get people to spend more money.

The secret is out now.

Cheers

Neil

Ahhhh....You changed your menu from the one listed originally, eh?

Hm....

That menu was perhaps from last year. I edited my menu some time ago but it would appear that the gremlins got to it. I had not gone back to the TVan website to double check until today. I had to re-post it today, after trying many times to get into the slooooooow system. I was finally to later on this afternoon. What is up is what we are serving. You can go to www.diningoutguide.com for the full picture.

Cheers

Neil

Neil, tourismvancouver.com only has you listed with a $25 menu. Should there be a $35 menu as well?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

after much time on the phones today, we have tables at c, cru, provence and pastis! :biggrin: still waiting for aurora to call back though....crossing my fingers.

although, after reading this and alllllmost tasting the gbp in my mouth, i might have to add the hammy to the list!

Quentina

Neil, tourismvancouver.com only has you listed with a $25 menu. Should there be a $35 menu as well?

hsg menus Both menus ($25 and $35) are on this page! You need acrobat to read it.

You can only list one menu on the Tvan site. They do not allow more than one.

Most restaurants are doing a couple of menus.

Check out their own websites or www.diningoutguide.com

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com