• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Tapas!

John Woods

I'm about to roll out a tappas style appetizer menu. What are some of your favorite tappas that could compliment either fish or steak? I'll re-post the ones that I will consider for my menu. (I'm in Georgia, so dont worry about the competition)

Pics welcome!

Executive Chef

The Villa

Alpharetta, Georgia

Are you asking about traditional Spanish tapas? Or, like, little plates of savory food?

I would suppose that it would be the little savory dishes.... I'm up for anything that's appealing and has a great mouthfeel.

Executive Chef

The Villa

Alpharetta, Georgia

John, there are a couple of topics on tapas. I haven't reviewed them to see how many include hot tapas with the ingredients you've indicated, but links to the topics are here:

Tapas Recipes

And, you might find some inspiration in the topic about Cooking with "Tapas" by Jose Andres.

And, do let us know about your trials, tribulations and final decisions.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm about to roll out a tappas style appetizer menu. What are some of your favorite tappas that could compliment either fish or steak? I'll re-post the ones that I will consider for my menu. (I'm in Georgia, so dont worry about the competition)

Pics welcome!

Tapas are little snacks served with wine (or Jeréz) in Spanish bars. They're not supposed to "complement" another dish - they're simply there for enjoying with a few glasses of fine wine.

Camarones al Ajillo ( Shrimp with garlic and butter)

Lengua en Salsa (Beef tongue cooked in aromatic broth, with herbs and olive oil, slice thin and served with bread)

Champiñones al Ajillo (same as above - with mushrooms)

Cordero Horneado con Romero (thin slices of roasted Lamb with olive oil and rosemary)

Bolitas de Queso (little balls of deep-fried cheese - usually Manchego)

Dátiles Rellenos (Fresh dates stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped in a slice of bacon and cooked in the oven till ready (10 minutes)

Fiambres con Banderillas (assorted cured meat - jamón Serrano, salami de Jabugo,Lomo embutido, etc. plus a a small plate of pickled caper berries, veg, olives, etc. )

Thank you sir....

I have another question for you if you feel so inclined to answer. I'm considering making a hot sauce with a smoked poblano and serrano pepper combination. The end result should be a smoky thick semi-hot sauce with a reddish brown consistency. Do you have a suggestion as to what vegetables to add for a flavor enhancer?

Executive Chef

The Villa

Alpharetta, Georgia

Thank you sir....

I have another question for you if you feel so inclined to answer. I'm considering making a hot sauce with a smoked poblano and serrano pepper combination. The end result should be a smoky thick semi-hot sauce with a reddish brown consistency. Do you have a suggestion as to what vegetables to add for a flavor enhancer?

Roasted red bell peppers, toasted almonds, roasted tomatoes, olive oil, toasted bread. You can riff off Romesco in Andres' book.

What are some of your favorite tappas that could compliment either fish or steak?

Espárragos Trigueros fritos en aciete de oliva

Fresh green asparagus fried in olive oil with sea salt

Rollitos crujientes de Sobrasada Mallorquina,queso de Burgos y miel

Rolls filled with "sobrasada" and soft cheese and sprinkled with honey

Gratinado de pisto, calabacin y Manchego

Gratin of vegetable, courgettes and Manchego cheese

and, of course, the always present Patatas Bravas

Fried potatoes with a spicy sauce on top

The last being a much loved and always required dish ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"