• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef: "Secret" Ingredient Known to Chefs

cabrales

I assume members know that Iron Chef's "secret" ingredient for each episode is not necessarily a surprise to the IC or the challenger. Each is given, I believe, approx. three potential secret ingredients, and has a significant period of time prior to the battle to consider possible dishes. Apologies if this fact is already known to members. :laugh:

I believe that they had 48 hours with this information. In the first year or so it was only 24.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

When Chef Michael Noble from Diva at the Met in Vancouver was a participant on the show. He was told 5 ingredients aboout 48 hours before the show and then 24 hours before, he was told that it might be :wink::wink: the potato. So they have a pretty good idea about what is going to happen on the show. The only part that they do not have any idea or control over is when the chefs have a tie, then it's a free for all.

Then again the only way I know this, is that I overheard Chef Noble talking to my chef at a dinner we did with the Met right after he came back from Japan.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

The only part that they do not have any idea or control over is when the chefs have a tie, then it's a free for all. 

Junior -- That's a very interesting question I have wondered about. Is it a "free for all", or are one of the ingredients from the original potential list looked to? :blink:

I once heard from a reliable source that Masaharu Morimoto kept a file of dishes whenever they came to mind, and categorized them by potential themes. He would also do test runs from time to time, replicating, at the very least, the one hour time limit...

Would explain his confidence and creativity in Kitchen Stadium.

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

i think it would be clear that these dishes are not made up on the spot, and that the chefs and staff have at least some level of experience in making them. whether the ingredient is giant prawn or lobster, the same dish will be made. it seems to me at least that they have a pretty damned good idea of what they are going to make going into the things. :blink:

I prime example of the preparation is the challenger's prop used in the Girls' Festival show recently shown/reshown on FN. There was no theme produce, with wider flexibility accorded to the chefs. However, the competitor procured a prop of a doll made by his own daughter?! :hmmm:

Cabrales - I would think so, that they would go back to the list of five they were given. Chef Noble lost by a point, so he did not have to particapte in the overtime.

As for what Tommy said, I think that after a while you should be able to come up with something after you have done this type of contest/format for as long as the Iron chefs have. I think that is why the challengers are given the hints to keep up with the Iron chefs.

To hear that Morimoto has a file that lists potentional themes for shows, is along the same lines of hitters or pitchers in baseball who have videos of each other to study.

I have only seen one show of the Iron Chef USA, is it still running and is it like that all the time ?

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

There are cartoonish elements of the show and the outcome--as far as the judging is concerned--may or may not be fixed and pre-determined. The competitors may or may not have been tipped off as to the likely ingredients x hours before the event.

None of this matters. None of this is on point.

What is on point is that what these chefs are asked to do in the allocated time frame is amazing and difficult. For the challenger it is a foreign work environment and is even more difficult. But the work, skills and creativity involved is impressive.

The camera work, translations, hokiness of spirit all recede from the main action--which is undeniably impressive.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

As an avid fan of Iron Chef, the impression I got was that in Japan perhaps they rate Itailian cuisine lower than French, Chinese and Japonese cuisines, and subsequently added an Italian chef to the original lineup. I know, I know...I'm surmising. Surely it can't be that they don't want to spend the money to design a set to accomodate one more Iron Chef!?!

Ruined it for me.   :wink:

It's TV, for god's sake. Of course it's bullshit.

Look carefully, Nina, there was a wink.

Since I read all your posts as if they start with a wink, the second wink sends a confused signal to me too. Besides, I've found it a very peculiar wink and closer to a grimace thatn a wink and have always wondered if it wasn't meant to hide an expression of more evil intent.

On the other hand, I really should have replied to Nina and told her "It's the Internet, for god's sake."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.