• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Samurai Ramen

Note: This topic on Samurai Ramen was split off from the "Chinese Restaurant in the ID" topic. -- CA

David and I visited Samurai Ramen today. I had the tonkatsu broth ramen and he had the chicken broth ramen. The tonkatsu broth was decadent--David called it "liquid bacon". I don't know much about ramen, so I can't tell whether or not it was authentic, but it was very good.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

I went yesterday to Samurai as well. I would say that it's actual ramen and now I don't have to go to Vancouver every time I have a ramen craving, though I still think Kintaro is better. I had the shoyu ramen and the broth was very good, the roast pork was tasty - though sliced much thicker than I'm used to, and the service was friendly. The noodles were thicker and a little bit less eggy than I was expecting but overall it was really solid.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Real ramen in Seattle!?!?!? Do they serve anything else, or just ramen? Man, I have to check this place out. Now if only there was a good okonomiyaki place in Seattle...

The Okonomiyaki isn't bad at Daimonji - and it is the only place I know of around here to get it :). We pass on the 'house' version and order our own. Daimonji is in a strip mall on Corson in the Georgetown neighborhood.

Real ramen in Seattle!?!?!? Do they serve anything else, or just ramen? Man, I have to check this place out. Now if only there was a good okonomiyaki place in Seattle...

Yup real ramen, the menu is mostly ramen, there a very few other items, but that's not important, only ramen is important. As far as okonomiyaki goes, I just make my own anymore, it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Rocky

Went to Samurai tonight, man that's good stuff! Light years ahead of the other places in Seattle that do ramen. We got the shoyu and pork - Rocky, I noticed the noodles in the shoyu were bigger than the ones in the pork. The pork were more similar to what I'm used to, not sure why they had different noodles though. The noodles were really the only thing I think could use some improving. The broth was great though - I echo the liquid bacon sentiments. Good roast pork too. I even got a stamp card, so looks like I'll have to go back at least 11 more times...

Considering that the tonkatsu broth should always be thicker and richer you would think that thicker noodles would be in the the tonkatsu one and not the shoyu. Being more substantial it would seem to make more sense.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Considering that the tonkatsu broth should always be thicker and richer you would think that thicker noodles would be in the the tonkatsu one and not the shoyu.  Being more substantial it would seem to make more sense.

Rocky

Personally I prefer the thinner style noodles in general, but that does make sense. The thicerk noodles would add to the body of the soup. I just didn't like the way that the thicker noodles were more seperated. I like the thin ones because you get this big clumpy bunch of noodle, but it all sort of seperates out in your mouth.

I just had lunch at Samurai. I had the tonkatsu, and it was awesome. I promised I would tell my friends, so I am telling my friends.

Hmm, maybe I need to tell my other friends.

Can someone explain the al dente noodles thing to me? The woman asked if I wanted al dente noodles and intimated that smart Japanese people always get the al dente noodles. So I went for it. It was good, but I think I liked the noodles better after they'd softened up for a few minutes.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I just had lunch at Samurai. I had the tonkatsu, and it was awesome. I promised I would tell my friends, so I am telling my friends.

Can someone explain the al dente noodles thing to me? The woman asked if I wanted al dente noodles and intimated that smart Japanese people always get the al dente noodles. So I went for it. It was good, but I think I liked the noodles better after they'd softened up for a few minutes.

LOL I was just there too, we must have just passed each other! and I ran into another eG pal too :biggrin: very funny!

I had the shoyu also, loved the pork in it...question, what is "flavored egg" as an extra? what is it flavored with??

LOL I was just there too, we must have just passed each other! and I ran into another eG pal too :biggrin: very funny!

I had the shoyu also, loved the pork in it...question, what is "flavored egg" as an extra? what is it flavored with??

creepy! i was there too...the woman clearly pegged me for a naif so i had "regular" noodles...almost creamy and lovely. jason - the tonkatsu is pork-broth ramen - no fried cutlets involved.

lmf - there were slices of pork in the shoyu? i loved the noodles and the pork in the tonkatsu, but i have to say the broth was a little too rich for me. liquid bacon is *not* an exaggeration. the broth was creamy and almost a little sticky. very rich. those noodles though...i will crave those.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

It's tonkotsu ramen. I've never seen tonkatsu in a soup, as that would ruin the beauty of the pankoed pork. Well, I take that back... I saw tonkatsu udon at a food court in Burnaby (near Vancouver) this past weekend, and walked by quickly.

Find a photo of the ramen and more description here.

By the way, (and since I'm vegetarian I probably won't be sharing your joy), do you mean tonkotsu (豚骨) ramen (which seems more likely, since you're talking about pork broth) or are they actually putting tonkatsu (豚カツ) on ramen?

Edited by dimsumfan (log)

Hmm... I think Samurai might be responding to feedback from the Japanese (and other) community, which would be a good thing. I've spoken with a number of Japanese people who've been to Samurai and like it, but lament that the noodles don't have the exact texture they like. I've noticed this difference myself. Great that they're offering a choice! And if too firm, then yes: the noodles do soften.

Oops, yes, tonkotsu. I'm aware of the difference, but my fingers are always thinking about fried pork cutlets.

I really can't wait to get back and try all the other soups at Samurai. The roast pork slice in my soup was also exceptional.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

reese how did we all miss each other? did you stay and eat or take out?

yes there is a nice slice of very tender pork in the shoyu

i ate there. maybe i was in just after lunch hour - i think i got there at around 12:45 or so. i almost PM'd you to see if you wanted to go! so strange.

tonkotsu - noted. thanks jason.

i liked the noodles. i thought they were very tender and very fresh yesterday. i saw the lovely little nests, so that might have reinforced. mine did not really soften as i ate, so i assume i got them beyond al dente.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 1 month later...