• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poutine Sauce Recipe

I posted this on the Quebec Sub Forum but apparently either all the Canucks keyboards are frozen or maybe I should have Posted in French!

Anyway, here is the question again.

Getting ready to make Foie Gras Poutine but don't have any PDC Poutine Sauce and the stores in Wisconsin don't carry Poutine Sauce. Would like an authentic recipe. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.-Dick

The classic, home-made poutine is the standard upon all which all other poutines are based: fries, cheese, sauce. From this basic combination, an enormous variety has been acheieved in kitchens and resaurants across Quebec.

but which poutine are you interested in? :rolleyes:

Poutine Itallienne : Uses marianara sauce instead of the Velouté.

Poutine Bourguinonne : Adds ground beef and fried onions to the Velouté sauce, in Bourgennione style.

Poutine BBQ : Heated BBQ sauce is poured on.

Poutine Mole : With a wink, an Oaxacan black mole sauce slathers over the mixture, adding its wonderful smoke and chocolate sweetness.

Disco Fries : An off-menu item in New Jersey and New York diners, combines a chicken-gravy and shredded cheddar on top a plate of fries.

source for this quote

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Poutine sauce is generaly a BBQ spiced gravy. But there are as meny variations as there are poutine joints. APDC uses a fancier version of the sauce made from veal stock. The link says is is sauce allemande. I have seen elsewhere that there is actualy foie gras in the sauce.

I should buy Picard's book, but it is a bit expensive at the momment.

Classic poutine gravy is roux-thickened chicken/onion stock with lots of black pepper. The most popular commercial stuff (St Hubert) tastes similar but is actually vegetarian.

APDC uses a fancier version of the sauce made from veal stock.

No, I don't think so. The sauce Picard uses on the foie poutine is pork stock, egg yolk, and cream with some foie melted in (as reported here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/26/internat...artner=USERLAND

Thread here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=41627

I don't have his cookbook but with this info it shouldn't be difficult to make the sauce. Reduce the pork stock (I'm assuming he doesn't use a roux, but I could be wrong), temper and then whisk in yolks, melt in the foie, correct seasoning and finish with a little cream.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Can you get Trio (Nestle) gravy mix? It is used by most diners and chip trucks in Canada for the gravy part of poutine. It is actually quite good when made with stock instead of water. Adding foie gras at the finish would be true to Quebec chip truck standards, but would not elevate to Picard's or Jamie Kennedy's bistro level.

Be sure to use real chese curds!