• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Grand Marnier Shrimp recipe

pups224

Does anyome have a recipe for Grand Marnier Shrimp? These are large crispy shrimps/prawns whith a mayonnaise sauce on them. I tried to Google them and looked on eGullet and Chowhound. No luck. They should be very easy to make at home but I have very little experience in Chinese cooking.

Does anyome have a recipe for Grand Marnier Shrimp? These are large crispy shrimps/prawns whith a mayonnaise sauce on them. I tried to Google them and looked on eGullet and Chowhound. No luck. They should be very easy to make at home but I have very little experience in Chinese cooking.

Here's one that sounds similar:

http://www.nakedsunfish.com/static/Food/Food/Grd_Shrp.htm

Frank in Austin

I was on a quest a few years ago for a similar dish, but it had a hint of lemon rather than orange liqueur and is based on the fairly popular restaurant dish, Honey Walnut Prawns. But the idea of using orange liqueur sounds great - I'll try it next time instead of lemon. Anyway, if it helps here is my method which is the result of merging a few recipes and some tinkering:

First I marinate the shrimp by combining:

1 lb large or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup egg whites

1/2 teaspoon salt

The sauce is a mixture of:

1/3 Cup honey

1/3 Cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste

1 tablespoon heavy cream (I use Crema Mexicana)

1 teaspoon Chinese mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

pinch of MSG (optional)

Then I deep fry the shrimp in peanut oil with a splash of sesame oil, drain, and toss with the sauce.

I also use candied pecans or walnuts , but you didn't mention that. Let me know if you would like that recipe.

Bill/SFNM

Edited by Bill/SFNM (log)