• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Fudge?

cavebutter

It's that time of year again...curds and fudges for friends and coworkers. I've been using the same fudge recipe for years and now that I am on my fourth batch of the holiday season, I'm looking to break up the monotony a bit.

My recipe is your standard marshmallow-less one:

1 c cream

4 oz unsweetened chocolate

2.75 c sugar

1 T corn syrup

3 T butter

splash of vanilla

I love the idea of raspberry fudge, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I'd like to avoid extracts and fake stuff. I'm leaning towards a puree, but I have a feeling that it will mess up the consistency.

Anyone have any thoughts on technique or other yummy flavors?

The ButterChurn (www.cavebutter.com/wp) -- One dude's venture into the magical world of baking, dude.

orange flavored fudge is one option ...

brown sugar flavored fudge is another option

cappuccino walnut fudge recipe

a compendium of different fudge recipes here from Alan's Kitchen

even more flavors for fudge here ... :wink:

including:

POTATO FUDGE

MACADAMIA NUT FUDGE

CRUNCHY CHOCOLATE RAISIN FUDGE

NUTTY CHOCOLATE MINT FUDGE

WHITE FUDGEFANTASIA FUDGE

SPICED PUMPKIN FUDGE

COFFEE POT FUDGE

QUICK HOLIDAY RASPBERRY FUDGE

PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

KAHLUA CREAMY FUDGE

PISTACHIO SWIRL FUDGE

CANDY CANE WHITE FUDGESNICKERS FUDGE

EASY CINNAMON FUDGE

BUTTERSCOTCH FUDGE

CHOCOLATE ORANGE FUDGE

and even CARROT FUDGE!

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ahhhhh....all the flavors of fudge....well I myself have made a lot of fudge in my time...both professionally and on my own. I have never used puree but could see it working...there would be just two things....

1)Texture as you mentioned because you would have to lower or eliminate the Milk product(cream, halfnhalf, evaporated milk, etc.) and use puree which is completely water based with none of the fat from the milk product to get more of the velvety texture.

2)Depending on what puree you use it will have Citric Acid in it...All fruits have it..it just depends how much they have....what the acid will do is it will limit the Graining in it, the good grain. Since fudge is a grained product that could make it to where it doesn't grain and comes out more like a caramel. Of course we are looking for a small grain size but it will still hinder that. It might just take more mixing to get it to grain...just be patient with it when you try....

There are many flavors to choose from but in the fudge business we use a lot of extracts and things of that nature...it you want to use a pure product I would suggest "essential Oils" these are the oils from different plants and spices that are the full flavor of the product....no alcohol or water inside these....Just be careful if you use them because they are very powerfull and you don't need much.

Also....DO NOT TASTE ESSENTIAL OILS STRAIGHT!!!! it will burn your taste buds...and do not put them in plastic containers because they will burn through them...that doesn't mean these are dangerous when mixed with candy....it just means you can't take them straight or in very very high quanitities...so be carefull if you use them....

-Robert

Chocolate Forum

I love the idea of raspberry fudge, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it.  I'd like to avoid extracts and fake stuff.  I'm leaning towards a puree, but I have a feeling that it will mess up the consistency. 

I've made a nice raspberry fudge by just adding crunchy dehydrated raspberry bits to your basic fudge recipe. The dried raspberries are fun to break down as they fall apart into separate drupes.

It adds flavor and doesn't muck about with the consistency.

flavor floozy

Oh excellent ideas! I particularly like McAuliflower's suggestion, as one of the reasons I was thinking puree was to be able to keep a couple of the seeds around-- or something a little crunchy at least. I will report back with results.

BTW, Alton Brown is very against storing fudge in the freezer. Why is that? The texture of mine seems to improve when eaten straight out of the freezer.

The ButterChurn (www.cavebutter.com/wp) -- One dude's venture into the magical world of baking, dude.

Straight out of the freezer might be fine but he is probably talking about the free water in the fudge forming frozen water crystals in the freezer and then melting again when coming back to room temp...this can mess up the texture of the fudge. At least that is what I am thinking he is talking about...

Robert

Chocolate Forum