• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best on-line sources for gift baskets

CanadianBakin'

I live in Canada and have a sister-in-law in New York. I was thinking of sending her a food gift basket and wondered if anyone had sites to recommend that they've had experience with. So far I've looked at igourmet.com and deananddeluca.com. Both have nice gift baskets but I have no idea if they have good products. Any experience with these sites or others to recommend?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm in Canada also, and have sent from Dean and DeLuca to friends before - it was VERY well received! :wink:

I've received a basket from Harry & David before - it was OK, but nothing amazing. The pears were overripe and squishy, and the chocolates were no better than what you find in a drugstore Valentine heart.

I LOVE Fortnum & Mason products - they used to ship from the UK, but now, due to the Bioterrorism Act, have set up a US site for US deliveries:

http://www.fortnumandmason-usa.com/shoppin...=Hampersupto125

Their hampers are pricey, but their products are top notch and packaged beautifully. I still use my hamper as a picnic basket!! The cognac butter sounds delicious!

Are you wealthy? Do you have money to burn?

Seriously, the markup for delivered gift baskets is ridiculous.

It's all decided on a store to store basis, but you might be able find a Whole Foods in her area that will put together a basket (taking into account your suggestions/amount of money you're hoping to spend) and maybe even deliver it.

Also, I haven't checked lately, but the whole foods website sometimes has mail order gift baskets for sale.