• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk as a marinade or braising liquid

snowangel

Milk or buttermilk in a marinade is used primarily as a tenderizer. It isn't supposed to impart any flavor, in fact, some claim it tones down the "gamey" edge wild foods sometimes have.

SB (it does work well with pheasant)

Buttermilk makes a great marinade for chicken.  Flavor the milk with the same kinds of ingredients you would use in an oil and vinegar marinade (onions, garlic, herbs, ginger, soy, lime, etc.  Tandoori chicken is made by first soaking the chicken in seasoned yogurt or buttermilk.  Typically red food coloring is added to that soaking mixture to attain the bright red color often found in tandoori...  Buttermilk is the recommended “marinade” for a truly authentic southern fried chicken....  Buttermilk can amazingly remove some of the fishiness of older fish.  Allow fish fillets to soak in buttermilk for an hour or two and that will help get rid of some of the fishy taste.
the source

Yes, southern fried chicken always needs a buttermilk marinade to be done authentically ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We have always soaked venison in milk overnight before frying. It seems to draw out some of the blood and also makes for tender strips of fried deer goodness.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

marinating fish in milk (especially non-bony fish like skate or shark) works well to tone down the ammonia 'fishy' notes.

Soaking porkchops in buttermilk before breading and frying is just heavenly :)

Edited by Malkavian (log)

I sometimes soak frozen seafood (fish fillets, peeled shrimp) in milk before cooking....it seems to perk up the flavor & remove the "frozen" taste, but I can't say that I've ever done a soak/nonsoak comparison. It's just part of my family's culinary culture, I guess.

There are a number of Italian regions that braise meat in milk as original post suggests. The method produces a wonderful, silky texture even without a marinade. Moist, tender with a very interesting sauce. Here's one from Emilia-Romagna. I wonder if soaking does some of the same things to raw meat that is destined for a shorter cooking period, e.g. buttermilk bath for fried chicken with an outer coating of bread that seals in the moisture. I have no idea how this compares to salted water in brining, an olive oil or wine marinade.....

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath