• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resto À Go-Go

sf&m

Hot of the press!! Sarah Musgrave's Resto A Go Go is now out in a 2007 edition.

I've been making good use of her previous issue from 2003, as have many visitors to Montreal I've lent it to. I highly recommend it to folks from down south, especially now that the US $$ is in a dive and Montreal resto pricing seems to be going the other way.

Sarah Musgave is the Casual Dining Critic for the Montreal Gazette so this is a well researched, organised and written guide to low end (but decent) to midrange Montreal Restaurants and drinking spots. WELL WORTH THE PRICE!

She also covers take out places, ice cream parlors etc among 200 destinations from breakfast to after hours crawls. Hmmm, she did "forget" Havre aux Glace though....

Pick it up at Librairie Gourmand when you visit Jean Talon Market.

Now if we could only get a new version from that certain other critic......

• 2 weeks later...
Now if we could only get a new version from that certain other critic......

If I'm that other critic don't hold your breath. I'm working on a web site instead.

I have always felt that the web was a better vehicle for such matters as restaurant reviews. By the very nature of its changing landscape where chefs move and establishments, even those run by capable people, close on a frequent basis, the printed restaurant guide rapidly goes stale. If we are talking big corporate Michelin Guide style then the annual nature of the publication deals with this issue. However if we are looking for a more detailed effort such as LC’s Flavourville, then it is likely entirely uneconomical to publish updated versions on a very regular basis (mega resto cities such as NYC may be an exception).

I will look forward to the website. Any definitive plans on the business model e.g.: subscription based, advertising, combination of the two, etc.?

It always drove me crazy that the moment the guides were released there were already a couple restaurants that had closed, chefs that had switched jobs, and prices that had risen or dropped. And for the amount of work, the pay wasn't all that interesting. Flavourville I and II sold a lot of copies, but in a very small market. At least with the web, you have the chance to reach outside your usual perimeters.

A web site could be a guide, and a whole lot more. I write about more than just restaurants, and have been doing so for years. Once articles are published in the paper --poof -- they just vanish into thin air. I would like to bring back some of the better food stories, as well as interviews, food items I like and gadgets I've tested. Maybe even bring on other local writers I admire.

As for subscription, I can't imagine how complicated that would be. It seems advertising is the way to go.

We're just working on design at this point.

Lesley: It sounds like a really interesting idea. Loading up on affiliates help pay the server usage. I like your style of professional writing, so I hope you great success.

On topic: I refrain from the guides due to their "staleness" after a short time. They remind me of an old guide of Montreal roads that I have. Vast swatches of the suburbs are empty spaces and it doesn't help when I get lost in those infernal winding roads.