• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleveland's Best Burger

cbarre02

I don't order burgers much, but my husband does and I'll usually take a bite from his when he does. Right now, I'd say it's a tie for the best I've tasted, between Moxie and Blue Canyon. But there are so many places that we haven't tried, that I'd be interested in seeing others' opinions.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

right up my alley.

bearden's, in rocky river on lake rd. simply amazing steakburger style burgs. they grind all their meat fresh daily, and they are all cooked on the flattop. the buns are toasted in a rotary toaster with just a dollop of butter on them, and are done in just about the time it takes the burgers to cook.

can't recommend this place enough, probably been there in excess of 200 times during my life. as my dad used to say "burgers? . . . thin to win"

My fave burger in Cleveland is at Close Quarters on Lake Rd. in Avon Lake. It's a tiny little place, you would miss it if you weren't looking for it. I swear they put crack in those burgers. They also cut fries to order.

To give you some perspective on my taste, the only other place from which I'll order a burger is Red Coat Tavern in Detroit.

I haven't had a Moxie burger but I look forward to trying one.

My fave burger in Cleveland is at Close Quarters on Lake Rd. in Avon Lake. It's a tiny little place, you would miss it if you weren't looking for it. I swear they put crack in those burgers. They also cut fries to order.

To give you some perspective on my taste, the only other place from which I'll order a burger is Red Coat Tavern in Detroit.

the best burger in cleveland is mawby's!!!

I have to say that the Moxie Burger is absolutely the best. But, it should be at its high price. (Dinner it is $17.00, I think.) We're not talking burger joint prices here. Moxie is one of the city's top restaurants. If I were a guessing person, I'd presume that the beef here is ground from trimmings of various steaks, especially now that the Moxie folks also have Red the Steakhouse right next door.

The Burger is outstanding. Thick, juicy and always prepared as requested. Bun is house-made. Sides are equally delicious. Piled high fries and Onions. House-made catsup. From time to time it has been possible to even get a burger with Foie Gras.

We have all fallen for this wonderful burger. There are just some nights when braised lamb shanks or shrimp and grits or some fabulous fish preparation or what ever sensational dishes are on the menu just don't quite cut it. And that marvelous burger and a couple of Cosmos (!) just seem to hit the spot---silly as that sounds.

Although my husband would switch the Cosmos for Martinis then.

Somehow a bottle of wine just doesn't quite make it with a burger. But a good beer certainly would. And I suppose wine would go very nicely as well. But for me, on a burger night, I want that pretty cocktail glass---maybe even twice!

Moxie is on Richmond Road in Beachwood. Jonathan Bennett is Partner/Executive Chef.

Well, if you're jonesing for one on the more southern side of the Detroit area, Miller's Bar is the place. But then, you already know that, don't you? ;)

I'll confirm Linda's high praise for Moxie. Moxie is easily one of the best restaurants in the city. Their food is as good as any and the bread and desserts are head and shoulders above. The menu changes often enough that I have trouble just keeping up with the fish. It's been a long time since I've had the burger. In fact, I think it had foie gras and they haven't served it like that for a long time. Years? I recommend the pumpkin pie.

I like the burger at Your's Truly - either the club (bacon and chese) or the patty melt (open faced rye with swiss and sauteed onions).

Aside from that there are plenty of highly regarded burgers that I haven't personally tried. Whenever I see a recommendation from a trusted source I make a note. You can look at my list. I've only tried a couple from this list. Which and what I thought should be apparent. All of them are local except for Fatburger. Fatburger is actually one of burger joints that I'm most interested in trying. Swenson's has America's best cheeseburger according to R.W. Apple.