• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smelly jars

Waterzoy

Does anyone have tips on how to get rid of strong smells that linger in glass jars? A run through the dishwasher seems to work OK until you put the lid back on for any length of time, when the smell of whatever was in the jar in the first place returns with a vengeance. Any ideas?

Does anyone have tips on how to get rid of strong smells that linger in glass jars? A run through the dishwasher seems to work OK until you put the lid back on for any length of time, when the smell of whatever was in the jar in the first place returns with a vengeance. Any ideas?

Did you wash the lid, too?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I've found this too with glass and plastic jars, and yes, I do wash the lids.

I have soaked for a while with a mixture of

vinegar + baking soda (this foams up) and

then add warm water to bring up to the top of the jar

if it's large.

Then re-wash and that seems to work.

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

Put 1/4 cup of white vinegar mixed half and half with water into the jar, microwave for 30 sec to 1 minute or until it is very hot, doesn't have to boil.

Remove from microwave place lid and tighten - it should ping as it cools

leave over night, dump the vinegar water, rinse, dry and add a couple of tablespoons of dry baking soda, place lid, tighten and leave it alone for two or three days.

This should remove the odor permanently.

I have used this method for removing odors of garlic, onions and smoked fish - the only odor that ever defeated me was middle eastern black salt. I think the sulphur ate into the glass.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I actually have this problem with my starbucks travel mug. I left some coffee w/cream in there for a little too long and the stuff STINKS. I have actually simmered the lid in water for a few minutes and soaked the cup and lid in hot soapy water overnight for a few times, but it still smells.

sorry to take over the thread, but is there anyone out there that can help me out?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I actually have this problem with my starbucks travel mug.  I left some coffee w/cream in there for a little too long and the stuff STINKS.  I have actually simmered the lid in water for a few minutes and soaked the cup and lid in hot soapy water overnight for a few times, but it still smells.

sorry to take over the thread, but is there anyone out there that can help me out?

Vinegar based treatments really work.

Did you try those?

Milagai

an appliance guy told me that when they have to clean out old refrig's etc., they put ground coffee in trays in the units and close them up for a 'while' and then they are fine. i find it works for icechests, and have used it for a freezer. this is fresh ground, not used. use the used in the flower garden.

Thanks for these suggestions.....much appreciated.

Andie, I must be the only person in the world without a microwave.....would your method work if I used the oven instead?

You can boil the vinegar/water on the stove and pour it in the jar - just be sure to run hot tap water into it first, then pour it out, so that the temp will be equalized and the glass won't break.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I actually have this problem with my starbucks travel mug.  I left some coffee w/cream in there for a little too long and the stuff STINKS.  I have actually simmered the lid in water for a few minutes and soaked the cup and lid in hot soapy water overnight for a few times, but it still smells.

When I was in college someone told me that tang (yes, the powdered orange drink) gets the smell out of travel mugs. My roommate happened to have a huge jar of the stuff, so I used it, and it really did seem to work. However, I don't know that it would work so much better than a vinegar solution.