• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with plate decorating sauces

Teya9

I want to make a chocolate sauce that will be thin enough to squirt out of a bottle and make designs on the plate. I need to be able to keep it for a week or more in the fridge. I bought one of those already bottled one by Smuckers and the ingredients are enough to make you want to gag. Corn syrup is the first ingredient and I'm fine with that being in the mix but I'm pretty sure I should be able to make something better. Most the recipes I'm finding seem like they will be too thick and pretty perishable with cream and all. I would love to have a caramel flavored one too. I made a raspberry one but that was a no brainer so any help on the other 2 flavors would be most appreciated.

You  could substitute liquor for the cream.

Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Godiva, and Chambord all work for chocolate.

I imagine others work as well. Also try Kirschwasser and white chocolate.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

You  could substitute liquor for the cream.

Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Godiva, and Chambord all work for chocolate.

I imagine others work as well. Also try Kirschwasser and white chocolate.

Yes those all sound divine BUT

Without sounding like a complete kitchen dud I'm looking for ratios of chocolate to whatever. Not too thick to squeeze out and not too thin that no design can be made and it should be workable right out of the fridge. Does that make sense?

For the caramel sauce, if you want one without cream and butter, just caramelize a cup of sugar, add 1/2C of water, or apple juice or another fruit juice. Boil till you get to the desired consistency - check consistency by dropping a tiny bit on a cool plate. Too thin -- keep boiling. Too thick -- add a little more liquid.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Yes those all sound divine BUT

Without sounding like a complete kitchen dud I'm looking for ratios of chocolate to whatever. Not too thick to squeeze out and not too thin that no design can be made and it should be workable right out of the fridge. Does that make sense?

ChiantiGlace usually comes through with some good recipes; in the meantime, hope this helps.

Rough version of my recipe. Because of kitchen differences, you might need to adjust.

3oz plain chocolate

2 Tbsp water

7oz water

2 tsp cornstarch

2 Tbsp water

1 Tbsp superfine sugar

1 Tbsp liquor

1. Rough-chop chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl. Add most (but not all) of the water. Melt over a simmer water.

2. When melted, gradually add next portion of water.

3. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and last portion of water.

4. Add to chocolate mixture

5. Add in liquor

Drop the finish product into a squeeze bottle and keep warm in a bain-marie; which you would also use to heat up refrigerated sauce (micrwave works too).

Note: I learned this recipe in Austria, so there might be some play in the actual amounts. Just remember gentle heat. Others might have a better way to prep the sauce.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

i thought cornstarch was activated by heat...if this is just simmered, how does the cornstarch thicken the sauce?  and do you have a raw cornstarch flavor in the sauce?

Hi Alana,

Preface: I tip my hat and will yield the floor to your expertise any day of the week (and twice on sundays).

The melted chocolate should store just enough heat to achieve partial thickening power. Not full though. Honestly, I am not sure the starch is added solely for thickening power. My first guess would be that it "mimics" the structure of milk. If it were just chocolate, water and alcohol, I think that would break. Could I be close?

With the recipe, I don't notice a starchy flavor.

~Chris

PS - I'd kill to eat your fruitcake from the challenge. :wub:

how long is the sauce staying on the plate before its being served?

It's being served right away. I figured out an easy chocolate one. I had one of those DUH moments. I just made a glaze with cocoa powder, water , powdered sugar and threw in some corn syrup for good measure as that is the first ingredient in the smuckers thang. now for a caramel one or maybe white chocolate. 3 colors are plenty. I'm just using these for little swirls and hearts on the plates, designs like that

i thought cornstarch was activated by heat...if this is just simmered, how does the cornstarch thicken the sauce?  and do you have a raw cornstarch flavor in the sauce?

Hi Alana,

Preface: I tip my hat and will yield the floor to your expertise any day of the week (and twice on sundays).

The melted chocolate should store just enough heat to achieve partial thickening power. Not full though. Honestly, I am not sure the starch is added solely for thickening power. My first guess would be that it "mimics" the structure of milk. If it were just chocolate, water and alcohol, I think that would break. Could I be close?

With the recipe, I don't notice a starchy flavor.

~Chris

PS - I'd kill to eat your fruitcake from the challenge. :wub:

thanks chris (re: fruitcake) the gingerbready recipe is in recipe gullet and if you serve it with boozy whipped cream, you'll come pretty close to what i made)! i think you're right, the corn starch is probably there more as a binder than anything else. although, in the right proportions, chocolate, water and alcohol shouldn't break either...