• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How To Dine: Another View

Sneakeater

"We firmly believe that the world is made up of three types of people: people who used to work in restaurants, people who used to work in retail, and born-rich assholes. And when it comes time to go out to eat, the latter two types are at a huge disadvantage in the not acting twatty department, because they don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end of their own bullshit. Herewith, then, a handy guide to the behaviors that put you at risk for inadvertently consuming an amuse-bouche of busboycum-tainted soup, and how to avoid them."

http://www.gawker.com/news/gawker-explains...rant-218359.php

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Even as a member of the first category, ("used to be a server") I find this a little OTT. You should be able to ask dumb questions. On the other hand, you should drink, too, so I agree with that one.

Pretty funny, though.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I used to work in foodservice, but as a barista, not a waiter. Still, I think I've got a handle on how to behave in a restaurant, and I have to take exception to the drink rule. I think it goes along with knowing what kind of restaurant you're in. I don't really like to drink anything but water with my meals, unless it's more of a speciall occasion dining experience, and then I usually get a bottle of wine. But still, why should anybody assume I'm cheap because I don't want to get full on beer? I wouldn't drink anything but tap water with a meal at home, but at a restaurant that makes me a bad customer?

I noticed over the almost 7 years that I worked as a barista, my attitude changed frequently. Things that bothered me about customers one year didn't bother me the next, or vice versa. Also, the other people who worked there did not necessarily agree about what was an offense either (one guy hated it when people ordered lattes--not cause he didn't want to make them, just because it irked him). Now if people don't tip well, that's another story.

another negative and nasty article from gawker. they seem to attack differences in people rather than celebrate them. completely unfunny and unoriginal. i've seen more enlightened and entertaining rants on bitterwaitress.com, and that's saying something.

i fall into none of those categories. the category i *do* fall into is the "i-don't-understand-this" category:

people who used to work in restaurants, people who used to work in retail, and born-rich assholes. And when it comes time to go out to eat, the latter two types are at a huge disadvantage in the not acting twatty department, because they don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end of their own bullshit.

perhaps i'm a stupid asshole, to use verbiage that gawker might, but i think people who work in retail plenty know what it's like to be on the receiving-end of BS. perhaps all of the negatives got confusing for me.

that said, i understand the spirit in which it was written.

Edited by tommy (log)

Don't Play Stump the Waiter

"What's sopressata?" "What's a croutade?" "What's the difference between Blue Point and Kumamoto oysters?" Fucking google it later and don't embarrass yourself.

The waiter should either know or be able to ask and get the answer.

And I call "bullshit" on the supposed requirement to order a glass of wine with the meal. I will or won't, according to MY whims. If you want to require all diners to have wine with the meal, print it on the fucking menu. Otherwise, serve me professionally and keep your mercenary complaints to yourself. If I like the meal (including the service), I'll recommend the restaurant to others who may order wine, and I may come back and order wine another time. If you behave unprofessionally, I'll never come back and will pan the service publicly and privately. These things may hurt your income, asshole!

Michael aka "Pan"

Some valid points, and some not-so valid ones... This seems to me to just be a rant, you know? I like a good rant. There's nothing quite like it -- from John Cleese's parodical ravings to the chunks of honest truths that Lewis Black delivers -- it's a great form of expression.

There's nothing like a good rant. But this is just a bad one.