• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This could be Huge...

jessejesse

http://decanter.com/news/101788.html

I just read this article and got extremely excited for the world of boutique wines! I'm curious to know what all you think this will entail for New York..

The market in New York is so global that I don't know if New Yorkers will notice much a difference, but I can tell you that it is VERY exciting news for small California producers. I have retailers in New York begging for wine, but although we currently have two boutique distributors interested in carrying them, they are always so slow to order, that by the time they've noodled out what they want, the wines are sold out. Then we have to start the whole courtship all over again with the next releases, send them samples, wait wait and wait . . . oops, too late again. With this process, distributors won't need to commit financially to a pallet of wine (56 cases) at a time, and we won't need to go through the laborious process of (hopefully) convincing east coast salespeople that "yes, you can sell zinfandel in New York."

Tom Wark at the Fermentation weblog is Inertia's PR consultant, and I am sure he will keep us up to date on all the good news regarding this new technology.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Just what I need, retailers in NY making it even harder for the rest of us to get highly allocated wines because there won't be room on the mailing list.

Actually, this is a great thing for NYers, but you might find that it is a two edged sword. Lots of botique wines are made in caselots of less than 100 cases. Even some of the more established "hard to get" wines are only made in quantities of less than 300 cases. And they are highly allocated with waiting lists. If I'm on an allocation list and these folks start competing, the prices will go up and it will be harder for me to get more of the wine.

I think it will be a good thing for small wineries just starting out, but please, please, please, don't mess up my Kosta-Brown allocation.