• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

napa with friends

jscarbor

Hey, I hope not to be to annoying with my questions and seeking advise but...I am heading to Napa with a few friends for a few days of food and wine. My buddy is kind of spearheading this deal and he has a few favorite wineries that he goes to like Del Dotto and Reguschi. I wanted to have a "day" where I was the point man on where to go. I would really like to try and accomodate many of the people by picking different places for everyone; maybe a showroom type place mixed in with some cool chill joints where you really get to know the winemakers. Price is not a big concern, so throw anything out there. Also, my friend wants to stay in Napa area for wineries not sonoma for some reason?

Additionally, we want great food. I have decided to skip French Laundry because I guess I really don't want to "deal" with reservations or subjecting the group to a $300-400 per person meal. I am certain we will hit la toque for 1 dinner maybe Pilar for another. Some suggestions or comments on another dinner and a few lunches would be great.

Domaine Carneros in Napa is amazing. Beautiful grounds, excellent Pinot Noir, it is a destination winery. We like Bistro Jeanty for lunch in Yountville. Domaine Chandon is also a "showplace" winery and not to miss, we have enjoyed lunch here as well. I would also consider Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford for a lunch.

For a nice dinner, Terra in St. Helena is one of my favorite places. Cheers and have a great trip! :)

Domaine Carneros in Napa is amazing.  Beautiful grounds, excellent Pinot Noir, it is a destination winery.  We like Bistro Jeanty for lunch in Yountville.  Domaine Chandon is also a "showplace" winery and not to miss, we have enjoyed lunch here as well.  I would also consider Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford for a lunch.

For a nice dinner, Terra in St. Helena is one of my favorite places.  Cheers and have a great trip!  :)

Thanks for info.

I see your name is "syrah girl" and I have to tell you about a great syrah I had with a braised short rib ravioli I made for dinner a couple weeks ago. It was Davis Family around $40 and it was amazing!

Jscarbor, I used to work at Ladera vineyards on Howell Mountain -- their owners personally give the tours and the tasting involve barrel samples in the caves. It is really a one-on-one situation that does not involve the classic "tasting room" hard sell with t-shirts and tschotskies and whatnot. Just great wine in an historical, gravity-method winery with a stunning view and fabulous wine. From there, you could head down into St. Helena and hang out at the bar at the Martini House, where many other local winemakers spend their evenings. It will also provide you a great meal.

From there, you are close to the Silverado Trail which is a bounty of exquisite "off-the-beat-and-track" wineries like Harrison, August Briggs, and more. The downside of wanting to hang-out with winemakers during this time of the season is that the bulk of their work is done and this is vacation time for most of them. Once the wine is in the barrels, winter is the one time of year they can decamp the valley for warmer climates (why many of them head to South Africa for two-and three-month internships).

Hope that helps.

Jscarbor, I used to work at Ladera vineyards on Howell Mountain -- their owners personally give the tours and the tasting involve barrel samples in the caves. It is really a one-on-one situation that does not involve the classic "tasting room" hard sell with t-shirts and tschotskies and whatnot. Just great wine in an historical, gravity-method winery with a stunning view and fabulous wine. From there, you could head down into St. Helena and hang out at the bar at the Martini House, where many other local winemakers spend their evenings. It will also provide you a great meal.

From there, you are close to the Silverado Trail which is a bounty of exquisite "off-the-beat-and-track" wineries like Harrison, August Briggs, and more. The downside of wanting to hang-out with winemakers during this time of the season is that the bulk of their work is done and this is vacation time for most of them. Once the wine is in the barrels, winter is the one time of year they can decamp the valley for warmer climates (why many of them head to South Africa for two-and three-month internships).

Hope that helps.

i was just by ladera on tuesday and bought a couple btls of the 03 napa... very tasty & a great price! what a beautiful place!

Hope that helps.

Very nice, thank you. I want to add that your avatar has always drawn me to many of your posts. I certainly have enjoyed reading what you have to say and advice you give.

I need to add that we will be there in mid february.

Edited by jscarbor (log)

Hope that helps.

i was just by ladera on tuesday and bought a couple btls of the 03 napa... very tasty & a great price! what a beautiful place!

Yeah, I really miss that place... I never even minded the commute from Napa and it was a truly great job. It also spoiled my palate for "valley floor" cabs as I am now quite a snob for mountain fruit. Glad you got to experience it and hopefully, met Anne who is their shining diamond up there!