• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food art on your walls

Kent Wang

I know I can be as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to things computer, but I am unable to figure out how to add a photo to my post, and how to make it the proper size.

Any help would be appreciated. And speak slowly.

I would like to add a photo to this topic, so hopefully it is okay ask my question in this forum.

I love fotography...and so this year finally thanks to flickr, put some of my favorite characters from the Central MArket on a calendar.

Stop by My blog and you can download it for free.

I had fun.. and will next do a food one, then a Florence one..

Buon 2007.

As a hint.. one of my friends couldn't afford creat food art, in galleries, so hired a kid to replicate images for her in oil on canvas... got some great art..- cheap!

hire a local kid in college and give them a chance!

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the food art I did, not on my walls but my counter-

gallery_47936_4149_137485.jpg

Another one, not food per se, but inspired by the vineyards in Montone, Italy -

gallery_47936_4149_11468.jpg

Edited by ddtchick (log)

Aquarius (Jan 21-Feb 19): Cranky. And rude and tactless. - and a perfect description of me!

"Is there alcohol in this furniture polish? Mmmmm, tastes like I might die!" Roger the Alien, "American Dad"

...and I don't know why the second image is not showing up!!!

Aquarius (Jan 21-Feb 19): Cranky. And rude and tactless. - and a perfect description of me!

"Is there alcohol in this furniture polish? Mmmmm, tastes like I might die!" Roger the Alien, "American Dad"

I have been bad this week. I am getting rid of all my old, 80s posters and have purchased high-end, expensive art. Charles Becker to be exact. I am thrilled to have THREE different still-lifes that are being reframed now to be delivered after my return from South America. One is a set of three strawberries, one a single large apple, and a third is a a green apple and a strawberry on a shelf.

The funny part was that when the BF and I went out, he liked the strawberries, I liked the apple, and - in trying to help us decide - the saleslady brought in the apple-strawberry combination and we realised we had to have all three! I´ll post pictures when they get hung and can´t believe I am living a dream of finally investing in the art world.

We're huge fans of vintage fruit crate labels. We bought a few on our honeymoon, in the Pacific Northwest, and have occasionally added to the collection. With nice matting and framing, these labels make for a fine display, and they're great pieces of Americana. We recently used four of them to decorate the nursery.

Our favorite is a label for Diving Girl California Apples. We later found out that the lithograph is part of the collection of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco:

http://search2.famsf.org:8080/mygallery/vi...ml?record=18672

There are several websites specializing in these labels, such as:

http://www.fruitcratelabels.com

While some rare labels can get expensive, you can still get some really nice, pristine ones (they're still discovering caches of unused labels in old warehouses) for ten or twenty bucks. So they're a great way for folks on limited budgets to acquire some attractive, and different, art.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm with Steven on the fruit crate label deal. I picked up a number of these at a swap meet in Pamona a few years ago for not much money and had them matted and framed. I also have a number of photographs that I have taken over the years. I just added this one of a women in Appalachicola who was standing in front of a waterfront oyster shucking operation.

gallery_10237_3893_120845.jpg

Also, I just had my fabulous poster from the soon to be world famous Potlikker Film Festival matted and framed. It makes a handsome addition to my eclectic collection of stuff.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 1 month later...
I took these myself and have them hanging in the kitchen.

gallery_36558_3077_120978.jpg

gallery_36558_3077_18651.jpg

Do any of you have photos or paintings of food hanging on your walls?

oh yeah.

pomegranate project, by nicola kountoupes

plus my whole thesis project for my mfa revolves around filo dough as a substrate for my images.

I'll figure out how to post them on here...eventually.

nk

• 5 weeks later...

gallery_25998_1461_16463.jpg

I fancy myself a culinary photojournalist, and have been having shows of such works in cafes/galleries, the above photographs are from my BACK OF THE HOUSE Project.

I have number of my own images hanging in my house, and update my photos of the food world weekly, HARLANTURK.BLOGSPOT.COM.

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

A friend in Dubai has two strands of spaghetti hanging on her wall. Her young (junior/senior high) nephews were visiting a year-ish ago, and they decided to make spaghetti--what better way to test if it's done than throwing in on the wall?

The really wonderful thing is that she's a neat/clean freak, but the spaghetti on the wall is a reminder of her nephews whom she loves so much.

• 5 months later...

My own concept of food-art relates to the salamis, sausages, cured hams and cheeses hanging from hooks in my kitchen. Art, of course, that is meant to be "destroyed" by its consumption over time.

Oh yes, and a small photograph of Curnonsky that sits on my desk.

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

• 3 years later...

I have a lot of food art in my home. I will list it but do not have pictures of much of it.

2 egg pastels of eggs - brown eggs

1 still life of an apple

1 still life of a peach

3 still lifes of pears

1 still life of lemons

1 Indian print of a lady sieving rice

i print from New Orleans of peaches in a basket

1 coloured print of my favourite grocery store in Dundas, Ontario - Picones

1 gorgeous print of a vinyard in Niagara

1 oil painting of cherries on either snow or q white table cloth

1 photograph by Beth Powning of 2 broad beans

I have other works of art but my favourite is food art. i can't resist it.

In the kitchen, I have vintage food labels from LA products, as well as a screen print (given to me by a former student) depicting the work of New Orleans sign artist Lester Carey. His hand-painted advertising signs adorn many NOLA corner groceries, bars, etc. (Read more about him here & see examples of his work: http://nonotes.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/the-story-of-a-new-orleans-sign-painter-artist-lester-carey/ )

The image depicted in my print can be seen here: chippewa food store

My favorite piece hangs in the dining room: a Fonville Winans photo of the kitchen staff of the Oleander Hotel, Grand Isle, LA, circa 1930. See it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fonville/2241913044/in/set-72157603965073245/

Edited by HungryC (log)