• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food art on your walls

Kent Wang

Do you still have them?

This was probably. . .ouch. . .thirty years ago, Rachel - my first home with my first husband.

No, I don't have them any more. I don't tend to save material things or even to take photographs of things, though I admire those that have the ability to do that.

They are there firmly, in my memory, though. And that, is good. :smile:

The idea actually could be done in a more professional looking manner with either aprons or linens, old linens, or even old wooden spoons and things, matted and framed. :wink:

in the kitchen there are 5 pieces of food based art:

a large watercolor of red onions i bought for the steep price of 75.00 at the showing of a local artist in the community college where i worked(1982), a photo of vegetables at a farmer's market with a little sign saying "Susan's garden" - yeah, like that will ever happen - given to me by a friend for one birthday, a sign a cowoker gave me for my tenth anniversary with the library that says "I like to cook with wine. Sometimes even put it in the food.", a copy of the menu from around 1923 or so of a restaurant from my home town called The Shelter Island House i unearthed when i was hired as part of a kitchen crew to clean up and set up a new restaurant in that building and my most cherished relic: THE SHRINE TO THE PIG. many years ago - 1979 or so- a dear friend and co-worker in kitchens went off to the island of Saint Thomas. she couldn't take everything and i inherited her framed copy of the Gourmet cover of the roast suckling pig. it has been to Hudson, New York, Hooks, Texas and now resides in Lake Hopatcong, NJ.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

And here I was thinking you meant the peanut butter my youngest takes great delight in smearing around the place (I still call it peanut paste as it was known in Aust while I was growing up - she takes "paste" literally :hmmm: )

Some day, when I have the disposable income to do so, I'm going to have this printed on a canvas:

gallery_11420_2856_368.jpg

Right now, I've only had it (and some others like it) made into cards.

We've had things printed on canvas from this site and been pretty pleased with them. A 16x20 on matte canvas, stretched and mounted is about $40.

We've had things printed on canvas from this site and been pretty pleased with them.  A 16x20 on matte canvas, stretched and mounted is about $40.

Thanks for the link! The size I'd like would run me around $100 (times 2 since I have another similar image to accompany the asparagus).

Like I said...when I have the disposable income. :biggrin:

I bought some calendars in france where each month was a food group so say december was bread it had 30 different kinds of bread on it. I had them laminated along with a repro of the last supper and a dining scene from the bayeux tapestry. The great thing is you dont have to put all twelve months up you can rotate them in and out.

My brother is a pretty good artist, so last year for Christmas he gave me homemade food art, in the form of 3 8-inch square little oil painting of bell peppers, red, green, and yellow. They're really awesome, and he nicely mounted them in nice black frames. I was blown away by his thoughtfullness and creativity. Everyone who sees them on my kitchen walls comments. They don't photograph well at all, unfortunately.

My best friend from forever is a photographer. I ordered two framed prints from her website, from this page:

http://www.kasphotography.com/SimpleViewer/?album=Still_Life

I have the smashed tomato and the three martini glasses hanging on my walls.

I love the fact that I can cover my walls with the work of my talented family members and friends.

Edited by dividend (log)

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

So I'm in this funky little bookstore/ cafe thing in teeny-tiny Bellingham, WA about 10 years ago, right? I'm kind of wandering around, trying to decide where to poke my nose next, when I saw it. Simple, with muted colors; clean, but by no means mint. It was an original poster (1949, I think?) advertising M.F.K. Fisher's translation of The Physiology of Taste ! I approached the owner of the little bookstore/ cafe thing in teeny-tiny Bellingham, WA and asked how much he wanted for the poster. I was told that he thought that maybe someone had inquired about it years ago, he vaguely remembered penciling a phone number on the back...perhaps he should try and call? Yes, there was a number, but lo! it was disconnected! I was given the poster (free of charge!) and it will remain one of my treasured possessions...

Ian Westbrook

Chef/ Explorateur

"The universe would be nothing were it not for life and all that lives must be fed."

-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I sell cheese for a living and work out of a home office. Someone gave me a beautiful French cheese calendar a few years ago. When the year was over, I had 4 pages drymounted and have them over my desk. On the walls, I have beautiful framed posters of Spanish cheeses and French cheeses. I also love the Cook's Illustrated back covers and have the back of the door covered in those - just taped on up there.

I am just finishing a kitchen reno and when I was in Paris last month, found a store that sold vintage cooking items. They had a whole drawer full of old food labels and I scored some old camembert paper labels, along with some hand-painted cheese signs. Can't wait to hang those up!

• 2 weeks later...
The line drawings on the back cover of Cook's Illustrated are always great. I'd love to have a whole series of those around the dining room.

I do, but in the kitchen. When they have a back cover I like, I buy two issues so I can frame the back of one, and keep the other to use. Some issues are better than others, true; but none are in point of fact bad. I have ::leaves room to check:: 13 different ones up. Didn't think I had that many.

Used to have a bunch of salt&pepper shakers in various vegetable shapes, but I gave my collection to my sister for a 10th anniversary present. Now the only non-print art I have is the kitchen design itself (poor) and the knives I made out of Damascus billets I bought from Dixie Gun Works a couple years ago. Got a French knife with a curly maple handle and a gun-blued bolster (soldered on) and a small santoku with a cocobolo handle and no bolster but a gun-blued blade.

Edited by Reefpimp (log)

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

No art, but a framed recipe, business card, and handwritten note from the executive chef of a hotel in Bangkok. They served these outstanding rolls for breakfast that they called butter bread. I tracked down the chef and asked for the recipe thinking Fat Chance. The next day it was slipped under my door with a note reading "Enjoy and have fun, culinary greetings." Never did try the recipe (still intend to though), but love the message as well as the reminder of Thailand and the amazing meals I had there.

I took this a few weeks ago, of some mixed nuts from a visiting European market. I used it as a desktop background for a while.

2nuts2.jpg

This is a great photo, GTO. I am no pro photographer by any means but the composition and focus effects are great. The variance in colors and size/shape of the nuts are very pleasing to the eye. I like it more than most food pics because of the depth of field. Gives more character than just a picture of a plate of food or a wine bottle. I love this photo. Think about entering it in a photo contest sometime. Very impressive.

My kitchen has hardly any wall space. The one wall that's bare has three of my nicest knives resting on cast iron hooks along with a small knife rack with my steak knives on them. There is also a small Japanese 3D kanji print to keep them company. I also have a small 6x8 print the same style as those prints at mimi's of an Italian cook holding a plate of fish with three cats on the gorund looking up at him. Very cute. That's it.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 2 weeks later...

Kent - that is really a lovely picture! I shall now go out back and tell my tree all

about it and hopefully it will bear fruit this year! A hui hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

My kitchen is very small, but this is what's on the back wall:

gallery_28660_4041_226500.jpg

The painting was the original cover art for a trade magazine I used to write for -- the cover story was about Brazil.

The porcelain plate at the top left is a gift from a company that dealt in exotic reptile skins during my days as a shoe designer (hey, I've had a checkered career). It features a spoof recipe for "Cobra a l'Indienne."

Most of my refrigerator magnets are food-related, too.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Some day, when I have the disposable income to do so, I'm going to have this printed on a canvas:

gallery_11420_2856_368.jpg

Right now, I've only had it (and some others like it) made into cards.

We've had things printed on canvas from this site and been pretty pleased with them. A 16x20 on matte canvas, stretched and mounted is about $40.