• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food art on your walls

Kent Wang

Do any of you have photos or paintings of food hanging on your walls?

On a particularly busy cooking day in my kitchen, I often have the food itself on the walls! :laugh:

With photos as professionally done as the two you are offering here, I can see why you had them framed and hung ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Okay, I'm lazy... I want to buy a Charles Becker still life (at around $20k to $35k, a bit stiff). But am currently sufficing with a few images like the Contratto Champagne and Cafe Martin posters...

Not food but drinks...I have a print of a drawing that shows a martini with a few hummingbirds fluttering around it; the caption is "Happy Hour".

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Megan, I like that one a lot.

Carolyn, the Becker still life is quite impressive. I like the Absolut vodka ones on that website. I'm not fond of the Contratto Champagne and Cafe Martin ones as I think I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond. That entire style has been ruined in my eyes by mass production. Taittinger and Campari fall in the same category. A shame, though, as I do find the Taittinger attractive in a vacuum.

With photos as professionally done as the two you are offering here, I can see why you had them framed and hung ...

Ha, thank you very much, I'm a total amateur when it comes to photography. All those were taken with a 6 megapixel point-and-shoot. All the photos on my Flickr are Creative Commons licensed so you can feel free to print or modify them.

This Mondrian homage is pretty funny. I may try to copy it myself.

Thanks for showing these, Kent, they are lovely. I have often wanted to put food-related photos up in my kitchen, and I am drawn to such photos when I find myself at image shops. It had sort of crossed my mind to just shoot my own, and I think you've given me the courage to go ahead and do so.

Lets see ...in the kitchen I have a line drawing of herbs with their culinary uses and in the dining porch there are the Bread poster and a Chile Pepper poster and 2 unframed oils of wine bottles.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mine are Charlie Brown amongst all these splendid images---I sort of decorated around these pots, a gift from my Dad years ago, and the colors are magnificent:

gallery_23100_3916_19320.jpg

Even the old teapots want to cuddle up and echo those hues.

On one side wall, above a dark old windmill Springerle mold, is a monochrome charcoal-on-canvas of a shiny kettle, a bottle, a crock, in every shade of tan and brown there is. It's a bit wounded now, for I made the mistake of spritzing a bottom corner with the cleaner when I was scrubbing the adjoining wall, and my drying/rubbing left a smudgy patch the size of a teacup, just swirly beige.

The little strip of wall with the "art" itself holds four pieces, marching up in a downpointing arrow fashion. The three bottom ones are cross-stitch, product of my idle hours several years ago and added to the fruit-mix.

I seem to have used up all my image space while blogging last week, and this is the only image I have already loaded---Sorry, but it needs flipping---you have to put your head over to the left, like trying to nap and watch TV at the same time:

The topmost piece is signed "C. John," which I think must be the daytime/painting persona of Freddy Krueger, as it's dark and grim, with black carrot-stems and keenly wicked blades---a mise from Hell:

gallery_23100_3911_18974.jpg

But it "ties together" all the fruit kitsch and the black, black stove. Just a little HGTV reference---can't spend ALL the time on FN, you know.

Edited by racheld (log)

Mine is a bit 70s retro. Antique copper molds for tarts, gelatin salads etc. My prize is a group of 8 very old tin lined tart molds with fruit, but I have the stereotypical lobster, flying fish and clam shell (gigantic, I will probably never use it) as well as a rabbit and a rooster. Picked up at flea markets and yard sales, and a couple from ebay when you used to be able to find deals there.

Other than that, two framed watercolors of pineapples.

On via San Antonino ( perfect as Saint Anthony Abate is the patron saint to pig butchers)

is this temple to pork!

gallery_28661_3841_3639.jpg

On one cabinet door, I have a large close-up of these stuffed spotted pigs dressed only in napkins tied around their necks. They're clutching forks and knives to eat prosciutto.

On the little bare wall in between cabinets and counter-top appliances is this guy, but as found on a very tacky 3-D postcard so he's Most Sculptural if creamy white meat and bones. In contrast, a flat image from the floor of a Roman home in Pompeii that is a Stoic view of a servant tending to dinner guests. As mentioned long ago on a thread begun by Karen Resta, this is kind of a Before/After type of memento mori.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Thanks, Kent!

Yours are beautiful...the food in them is so impressive! I also love BonVivant's blueberries...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Great thread! I am remodeling my home kitchen and want to hang some new artwork. Where can I get food themed photography prints?

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

We have two very personal pieces of food art on the walls. One is a a beautiful painting of a Kabosha squash that my wife painted, and a lovely painting of my neighbors Calamondin tree, that used to provide lots of fruit for marmalade and salsas when we lived in Folrida. I'd upload pictures but... I'm tech challenged.

Where can I get food themed photography prints?

Allposters has some excellent photo prints of food and there are tons to choose from .. all sizes, all foods, all culinary themed! Just type in the words foods or culinary to locate the prints to look over ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Carolyn, the Becker still life is quite impressive. I like the Absolut vodka ones on that website. I'm not fond of the Contratto Champagne and Cafe Martin ones as I think I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond. That entire style has been ruined in my eyes by mass production.

I have completely agree -- when I purchased them (some 20 years ago), I actually had to research them and pay to have them expensively frames. Now they are everywhere I'm devastated until I can afford a Becker. The problem is that I have been searching for some time for some "decent" still lifes (originals) with which to deck my walls, but have been entirely spoiled by having seen the Beckers in real life. It is very hard to describe how utterly luminous they are and if anyone is near a gallery where they are showing, I can't recommend enough a personal viewing. There is one he did with cherries in a silver goblet that I am seriously considering purchasing -- depending on how my year-end stock portfolio ends up looking... These posters of mine are on their way out, but not until I have "real art" to replace them.

The nicest kitchen food art I ever had was aprons.

Old aprons, from the thrift store, from the 1940's through the 1960's. Some were pink and polka-dotted with prints of poodles smiling with red bows tied on their little heads. Some were white sheer voile, fluffy and ruffly, with big bow pockets. Others were equally individual and equally charming.

One year, I took them and stapled them directly onto the kitchen walls, angled here and there as if they were flying through the room with merriment.

It was as if the spirits and joys of the cooks that wore them shone from the walls, smiling with pleasure at every good thing that was made there.

Allposters has some excellent photo prints of food and there are tons to choose from .. all sizes, all foods, all culinary themed! Just type in the words foods or culinary to locate the prints to look over ...

Score! Thanks M

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Lets see ...in the kitchen I have a line drawing of herbs with their culinary uses

The line drawings on the back cover of Cook's Illustrated are always great. I'd love to have a whole series of those around the dining room.

Where can I get food themed photography prints?

I like this one: Cat Food Is Served but I'm a sucker for cats.

Who could forget the ultimate food art, Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup can.

I have completely agree -- when I purchased them (some 20 years ago), I actually had to research them and pay to have them expensively frames. Now they are everywhere I'm devastated until I can afford a Becker.

I really hate it when that happens. What period would you say these posters are from anyway, 1920-30s? Pre-War, I'm pretty sure.

The nicest kitchen food art I ever had was aprons.

Old aprons, from the thrift store, from the 1940's through the 1960's. Some were pink and polka-dotted with prints of poodles smiling with red bows tied on their little heads. Some were white sheer voile, fluffy and ruffly, with big bow pockets. Others were equally individual and equally charming.

One year, I took them and stapled them directly onto the kitchen walls, angled here and there as if they were flying through the room with merriment.

It was as if the spirits and joys of the cooks that wore them shone from the walls, smiling with pleasure at every good thing that was made there.

AWWWW. That's just the most wonderful imagery. And idea.

Do you still have them?