• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pasteurized egg yolks

jcho

Hi

I need pasteurized egg yolks for a recipe of JPW's, and can't seem to get them because I only want about 1 pint at a time. My wholesalers sell by the 12-count case only, and suggest I try a grocery store (I have, without luck.) Does anyone know of another likely source? I'll try any suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

Jen

You could ask the supplier if they will tell you who they sell this product to and ask that company if you can buy a carton from them (if they don't want to give out client names, they could ask their customer on your behalf)?

I live in fairly large mideastern US city, and I haven't found a single store that sells pasteurized eggs.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I'm guessing you don't want to make pasteurized eggs on your own?

I wouldn't mind making the pasteurized egg yolks, if I knew how to do it. Can you tell me?

JeanneCake--I have tried asking, without result. I get the impression my salespeople deal more with restaurant chefs than chocolate-makers, and since I don't know who/what else p.e.y. are used in, I can't really point them in the right direction to help me.

Patrick S and scott123--I think maybe Patrick S and I are talking about something different, the pasteurized egg yolks used in JPW's class and I once was able to buy were in a pint carton clearly marked "pasteurized" and were separated (no whites); and here I am going to sound really stupid but are the eggs sold in supermarkets pasteurized? I just checked the cartons in my fridge and there is no mention of pasteurization, one is organic both are local.

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. I am off to try to do a walk-in purchase at one of the distributors, as was suggested in a PM: I'll let you know if it works, just for the record. I really appreciate the replies.

Jen

Patrick S and scott123--I think maybe Patrick S and I are talking about something different, the pasteurized egg yolks used in JPW's class and I once was able to buy were in a pint carton clearly marked "pasteurized" and were separated (no whites);

I'm talking about regular carton eggs which have been pasteurized, not yolks.

and here I am going to sound really stupid but are the eggs sold in supermarkets pasteurized?  I just checked the cartons in my fridge and there is no mention of pasteurization, one is organic both are local.

If the carton does not say pasteurized, they are probably not pasteurized. Pasteurized eggs are sold in some location, but not others. At this point in time, I think most supermarket eggs are not pasteurized.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thank you everyone. scott123 and Patrick S, your posts have cleared up some [obvious] confusion for me. miladyinsanity, I am off to pasteurize myself some yolks! Never knew it was doable at home.

I am grateful to each of you, as well as to eGullet for providing a spot where I can find people who have answers to my questions, and who take the time to provide them.

Thanks again,

Jennifer

I'm guessing you don't want to make pasteurized eggs on your own?

I wouldn't mind making the pasteurized egg yolks, if I knew how to do it. Can you tell me?

Pasteurizing eggs

It's about half way down the page, courtesy of Andie elsewhere in eG. :cool:

I must reply to the incorrect method of pasteurizing eggs in their shells:

If one puts ROOM TEMP. eggs in 142 degree water, the bacteria will NOT be subjected to that temperature for the recommended 3 1/2 minutes! It takes a substantial time for the interior of the eggs to reach the 142 degree temp. Rather, the eggs must be raised to 142, then held at that temp. for the time required. I know, because I have duplicated the method used and patented by the Davidson's (now owned by others) egg company. I even went so far as inserting a thermocouple into a raw egg, and connecting it to an extremely accurate meter. When I placed the room temp. egg into 144 degree water, it took more than TWELVE minutes to reach 140 degrees, with constant agitation (stirring) and a watchful eye on the meter for the egg and the temp. gauge for the water. The method DOES work, but please don't assume that the 3 1/2 minute figure is correct; that only works for an egg already at that temp.

Please be more careful, and Good Luck,

Ray

Thank you, ray! I was wondering about that very thing, ie. how long it would take for the centermost portion of the egg to reach the temperature of the water.