• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Choosing Wine

creativeingredients

I am trying to decide on some wine from an importers list of offerings. Has anyone tried any of these?

Domaine Ramonet

1. 2004 Bourgoge Pinot Noir

2. 2004 Chasssagne Montrachet Rouge Boudriottes

Paul Aine Jaboulet (Cotes du Rhone)

1. 2001 Corna Domaine St. Pierre

2. 2003 Corna Les Grandes Terrasses

3. St. Joseph Le Grand Pompee

Bodegas Vega Sicilia

1. Pintia Tempranillo

2 Alion

Bodegas Roda

1. Roda II Reserva

2. Roda "1'

Foppiano (Sonoma)

1. 2003 Petite Syrah

Jordan Vineyard & Winery

1. 2004 Russian River Valley Chardonnay

Thanks for any info.

I am trying to decide on some wine from an importers list of offerings.  Has anyone tried any of these?

Domaine Ramonet

1.  2004 Bourgoge Pinot Noir

2.  2004 Chasssagne Montrachet Rouge Boudriottes

Paul Aine Jaboulet (Cotes du Rhone)

1.  2001 Corna Domaine St. Pierre

2.  2003 Corna Les Grandes Terrasses

3.  St. Joseph Le Grand Pompee

The St. Joseph Le Grand Pompee...dynamite Syrah

Bodegas Vega Sicilia

1.  Pintia Tempranillo

2  Alion

Bodegas Roda

1.  Roda II Reserva

2.  Roda "1'

The Roda 1 is much better value

Foppiano (Sonoma)

1.  2003 Petite Syrah

Jordan Vineyard & Winery

1.  2004 Russian River Valley Chardonnay

Thanks for any info.

Great wines by the by.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The Jaboulet St. Joseph has been delicious in past vintages. While I haven't tried this specific one, it's a solid producer.

I'll agree with Stephen. Nice list to choose from!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm not sure what vintage of Alion is being offered to you, but here is my note from the 1996 version: 1996 Bodegas Alion Ribera del Duero. Just about as good as it gets. Fantastic balance. Great core of black cherry and blackberry fruit with underlying tobacco, earthy minerality, and not too much oak. Tannins were ripe and yielding. Bright acidity. Great partner to grilled ribeye. Long fruit-driven finish.

Of course, back then the wine was only $32. It's over twice that much for more recent vintages.

I've also had older vintages of Foppinao's Petit Sirah. That producer does about as good a job as any with that grape.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thank you for the great replies. The list is very long and somewhat overwhelming.

SBonner: In this listing, the Roda II Reserve is CDN$48.62 and the Road "1" is CDN$76.73. Does this make sense?

Brad: The Alion is 2002 and CDN$76.18.

sadistick: The importer is Halpern Enterprises. The price is CDN$30.25. We could certainly talk - love those Just Baked goodies!

Are these all wines that should be put away for a while?

By the way, I thought it was interesting to see a red Chassagne Montrachet from Domaine Ramonet. The Pinor Noir is CDN$24.92, which sounds pretty good.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the great replies.  The list is very long and somewhat overwhelming.

SBonner:  In this listing, the Roda II Reserve is CDN$48.62 and the Road "1" is CDN$76.73.  Does this make sense?

Brad:  The Alion is 2002 and CDN$76.18.

sadistick:  The importer is Halpern Enterprises.  The price is CDN$30.25.  We could certainly talk - love those Just Baked goodies!

Are these all wines that should be put away for a while?

By the way, I thought it was interesting to see a red Chassagne Montrachet from Domaine Ramonet.  The Pinor Noir is CDN$24.92, which sounds pretty good.

Thanks again.

The Roda 1 is the top shelf product. It is more complex and has more potential for cellaring than the Roda II. It's a tough call. Both wines are wonderful. I guess if you want to drink them sooner rather than later go with the II and save some $.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG