• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good grass fed beef in Malaysia

Isetan in KLCC, Kuala Lumpur has a good meat section. I haven't looked in there for a while, but it is worthwhile asking them seeing as they often have 'exotic' promotions on.

There was even Wagyu on sale there not long ago...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Hi, does anyone know where to get good grass fed beef in Malaysia?

All I see are grain fed Australian and US beef. Any ideas?

Hi Ken,

Are we talking about buying the raw meat or restaurant -prepared meals?

Hi Julian,

Was talking about raw meat. Can't afford restaurant prepared meals on my meagre salary. :laugh:

Isetan in KLCC, Kuala Lumpur has a good meat section. I haven't looked in there for a while, but it is worthwhile asking them seeing as they often have 'exotic' promotions on.

There was even Wagyu on sale there not long ago...

Hi PCL,

Thanks. I will check them out.

Teepee...

I gotta go where the work and fun are!! Lots of good food in KK!!

...but back to beef...

so I've eaten at Jake's recently, and Prime at the Le Meridien in Sentral... both were disappointing experiences... I mean, one is an old timer, with a damn fine reputation, but they still managed to screw things up... overbooking and overtaxing the kitchen for one... and charging an arm and a leg for portions that are simply not adequate, meaning thin steaks... larger size, meaning flatter and thinner but larger in circumference... is this to speed up cooking at the expense of customer enjoyment?... and the meat... well... lacking, totally...

Prime? overpriced and overstuffed seats... inexperienced waitstaff that arre more concerned about throwing out the latest buzz phrase and their own appearance than customer satisfaction... the problem? attitude without a clue... and the food? more of the same... the meat?... dry... rested too long... due to crap wait staff... temps were off and well... no wonder people still talk about heading down to Singapore...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

PCL,

I'm going to beat this drum for a while, because it is Visit Malaysia Year 2007 and Malaysia's 50th anniversary of nationhood, meaning that lots of people are going to be visiting the country. And if the experience is as bad as you say it is, it's going to reflect very poorly on the way we do things. My hometown of Ipoh is scrubbing up very nicely for the festivities, and wouldn't it be a right shame if our hospitality (for which I might add we are justifiably renowned, at least on a historical basis) just fell way short of the mark?

I think we owe it to the country and Malaysia's dining fraternity in general to draw the attention of management to these defects. As diners, we are more than just stakeholders, despite what some prima donna chefs might think - we drive the entire industry. Without us and our dollars, the industry runs out of puff. It is not a case of "if you build it, they will come." It is "they will come if you build something good, and they will never come back if you serve crap steaks."

Often, there is some slave driver hardcore career hospitality / chef expat, especially behind hotel F&B operations, and they will take action if the service experience does not live up to standards.

So please, take a couple of minutes to alert the higher-ups about the fact that we are being given poor food and poor service and that this is totally unacceptable. If they continue on without being alerted to the problem, things will chug along as normal, to everyone's detriment.

That's my whinge for today.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink