• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toasting nuts

Wholemeal Crank

While contemplating a sad batch of cocoa muffins, spoiled by some nuts that were just a little off (freshly opened bag, stupidly didn't test before tossing them in), I found myself wondering whether toasting nuts affects the rate at which the nut oils go rancid.

Does toasting

reverse rancidity?

prolong the time nuts can be stored before the oils go rancid?

simply cover up the taste of a slightly off nut?

or none of the above?

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

I'm working purely by the method of "crazy thinking" and have no scientific grounds to base my reply on BUT - I'd have thought that toasting nuts would shorten their shelf life, since in their raw state, their oils are intact and when you toast/roast them, they begin to break down...

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

While contemplating a sad batch of cocoa muffins, spoiled by some nuts that were just a little off (freshly opened bag, stupidly didn't test before tossing them in), I found myself wondering whether toasting nuts affects the rate at which the nut oils go rancid.

Does toasting

reverse rancidity?

prolong the time nuts can be stored before the oils go rancid?

simply cover up the taste of a slightly off nut?

or none of the above?

Toasting will not reverse the rancidification process -- that is caused by the breakdown of fats in the nut, primarily by oxidation. Generally, heat increases the rate of oxidation.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 weeks later...

We used to get a sack each of pecans and walnuts from my grandfather's orchard each year, and IIRC they seemed to keep pretty well in the shells, months at least before they would all be shelled and frozen, but in recent years I've had more problems with walnuts bought in shell and already gone off than pecans--even when buying this years' nuts in the fall.