• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repulsive Flavor Combinations

markk

When in need of a protein and fat fix during climbing trips I've been known to eat peanut butter and oil-packed tuna sandwiches.  The trick is thicker bread so it doesn't soak through.

I like peanut butter and bacon.

I had a hamburger recently with peanut butter, sour plum jam, and bacon. It was freaking fantastic. The peanut butter oozed into the burger, the bacon provided the salty, the jam the sweet. Needless to say, I didn't require any additional food for about a day after partaking.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

any kind of booze combined with a dairy based product.

I don't know how people can drink that crap. That and sugar based alcohol drinks are bad. Not only do they taste gross, but they make me sick

Not really gross, but I love dried squid dipped in mayo. The dried tenticles are better than the body.

noticed that there are lots of flavour combos involving either peanut butter, bacon, or both. Is there anything that these things don't go with? I recently found out that natto with crumbled bacon on it is FANTASTIC.

same with kimchi too, It goes with everything...that and it's delicious juices

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 3 weeks later...
my first experience with alcoholic beverages

was:

johnnie walker red and hires rootbeer...

at 12, i was no 'issac' from love boat

I have to confess, I also traveled that road to shame. I was the youngest university student in the province at that time, and in an unavailing effort to seem older than I was I affected a pipe and scotch-drinking. After trying a few shots of JW neat, to see what it was all about, I concluded that the earthiness and smokiness of the scotch would be well complemented by the root beer.

I can't say that I would drink it now (single malt with a drop or two of water is my preference these days), but I don't think I was entirely wrong either. It at least makes more sense to me than people who spoil good rum with Coca-Cola (you're perfectly welcome to put Coke in cheap rum if that's your thing).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 weeks later...

Some of these are pretty nasty.

Here is my contribution, and as I remember it, it was quite tasty.

We looked forward to this for many a Christmas as children.

I large juicy dill pickle hollowed out lengthwise and stuffed with a candy cane, held firmly in hand with mouth planted leechlike on the end extracting that lucious sweet/sour nectar from same.

As a kid, I can remember putting salt & vinegar flavour crisps into a gooseberry jam sandwich ... and loving it. I can still remember the crunch of the crisps through the soft squidgyness of the bread, along with the weird mix of salty/tangy/sweet flavours. mmmm

Something tell me, though, that I'd be better to stick with the memory than try to re-create it. I think now i'd probably find it gross. Actually, forget the probably.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

As a child, I was never a huge fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwichs.The one way my mother could be sure that I ate my PB&J was to give me some nacho Dorito chips on the side.

After putting the chips in the sandwich, it became delicious.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

There are these tiny yellowish croutons from Israel that are supposed to go with soup (gee, I wonder if that's why they're called 'soup almonds') and that we bring back to Amsterdam in bulk whenever we visit. For a while I ate them with almost everything. Plain or fruity or whatever kind yogurt, puddings, a bit of leftover sauce on my plate, a scoop of cold ragu from te fridge, a peanut butter sandwich...

I guess I like a bit of crunch :rolleyes:

This may not be too disgusting to some, but many think its wierd....

1.) I sprinkle hunks of cheese with salt....any cheese from your standard sharp cheddar to your artistan cheeses (stinky, strong, nutty,sweet, any type of cheese) - cows milk, goats milk, sheeps milk...doesnt make a difference!

2.) I salt my bagels and cream cheese, no matter if its an onion bagel with plain cream cheese (I use LOTS of cream cheese), or a blueberry bagel with plain or blueberry creamcheese....although if I am using blueberry creamcheese I do use less salt...

3.) The only beverage I buy at starbucks, even in the Chicago winters, is their iced frapachino (btw-I hate their coffee) (which is a blended drink, so its like a coffee/caramel smoothie/icee). When its negative 10 degrees outside I get stares...and people actually say "A FROZEN DRINK ON A DAY LIKE TODAY?"

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

my favorite odd combos that should be gross I guess

Dos Equis Reserve and home made chewy chocolate brownies

Good New Mexican extra hot ground red chile sprinkled heavily on real vanilla ice cream ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I guess if I like eating it, it's not that gross but:

any beer and dark chocolate

a peanut butter, orange marmalade and chocolate syrup sandwich

and when I first tried beer, couldn't stomach a "red beer" (1/2 Miller High Life & 1/2 V-8), so I was drinking beer and washing it down with grape KoolAid - hey, I was only 14...I learned to like unadulterated beer years later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I never thought of this of repulsive, until recently, when a friend looked at me and said, what the hell are you doing?

Grilled cheese covered in worcestershire sauce.  I think it's a perfect marraige of flavors.

Try useing a good mustard instead of butter for grilling. I will have to try your way.

Living hard will take its toll...

Soft serve vanilla ice cream with Saltines... you scoop up the ice cream with the Saltines, so you can get a bit of ice cream on your fingers as well. Crispy, salty, smooth, sweet, cold... I love it, my husband gags everytime he sees me do it.

Repulsive is in the tongue of the beholder. :raz:

I don't recall how I came upon it, probably during the chocolate everything phase in high school. Hershey's chocolate syrup on a tuna fish sandwich. Tas-tee. Now I enjoy it during the chocolate everything phase of each month.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.