• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repulsive Flavor Combinations

markk

I thought of this because I have a cold and am sucking Halls Sugar-Free Mentho-Lyptis drops. I find they work better if I am sipping hot liquid - it seems to release the vapours faster and better, and in the early parts of the day I sip hot (black) coffee with my mento-lyptis. I remember that the very first times I did this (without thinking), the resulting flavor combination was truly repulsive! Now I am quite used to it, and find it comforting.

Does anybody have any similar experiences with non-compatible, repulsive flavors?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Ever since I was a kid, I hated the combination of orange juice and residual toothpaste taste from brushing my teeth in the morning. I still haven't gotten used to that bitter, acid taste. Now that I'm usually in a rush to get out the door, I don't have time to drink a glass of OJ, so problem solved! However, I would gladly drink toothpaste-scented OJ if it meant I could revisit those carefree days of childhood! :smile:

Broccoli and licorice, which is what Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone said she'd rather eat than marshmallows on sweet potatoes.

A scurrilous smirch on the cuisine of our Dear Southern Cooks, and makes me want to go read Harlequins :wacko: .

Frowny pout.  :angry:

c'mon, rachel....

the only things that should go in/on sweet potates are bourbon, brown sugar and pecans.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ever since I was a kid, I hated the combination of orange juice and residual toothpaste taste from brushing my teeth in the morning.

I can't eat a saltine cracker after drinking orange juice. :sad:

SB (although I find it an easy enough thing to avoid doing :wink: )

c'mon, rachel....

the only things that should go in/on sweet potates are bourbon, brown sugar and pecans.

Okay, Birthday Twin. I'll give you all the above, but swirl 'em in a bit, let them get golden and caramelly, THEN throw on a handful of the mini-Campfires, just on MY serving, OK??

johnnie walker red and hires rootbeer...

Sometimes when my college friends and I wanted to joke with a bartender, (not really a good idea), we would ask for Gin and Root Beer with a Radish. :biggrin:

We actually did drink Sweet Vermouth with Colored Mini-Marshmallows once. :sad: (It was called, for reasons I can't recall, a Lipshitz Cocktail)

SB (no, it didn't stay down :wacko: )

I've always had a thing for rum & coke. So once, in a momentary lapse of sanity I thought "Hey! Rum & Dr Pepper!"

Jesus wept, what the hell did I create? It was fucking horrible.

OH MY GAWD!!!

flashback to the start of christmas break freshman year(1972) with the new boyfriend just before leaving for home. not much of anything in the machines...so he mixed Dr. Pepper and Johnnywalker Black. can anyone guess why it was called a "stoned dane"?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

here is a recent mea culpa...

i blame this on Ambien CR which i had to stop taking,

because i was waking up with dirty dishes next to the bed,

and my wife would walk into the kitchen and wonder

what the hell i did the night before. apparently i was eating in complete

blackout.

i found this combination on a plate last week...

slices of LES TROIS PETITS COCHONS™ foie gras terrine

on top of pumpkin pie

topped with fresh whipped cream...

i can't tell you if i actually like it

because i do not remember eating it.

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

When in need of a protein and fat fix during climbing trips I've been known to eat peanut butter and oil-packed tuna sandwiches. The trick is thicker bread so it doesn't soak through.

Dan

When in need of a protein and fat fix during climbing trips I've been known to eat peanut butter and oil-packed tuna sandwiches.  The trick is thicker bread so it doesn't soak through.

I like peanut butter and bacon. And as a kid I regularly had peanut butter and miracle whip. :) I also used to disgust my friends in Greece by getting a "Rox" (a Salonica specialty consisting of a shallow, open phyllo shell filled with walnut cake and soaked in thick syrup), putting it into a plate and dumping a small container of sheepsmilk yogurt on top. Yumm, I can still remember it. They thought I was completely insane.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I also used to disgust my friends in Greece by getting a "Rox" (a Salonica specialty consisting of a shallow,  open phyllo shell filled with walnut cake and soaked in thick syrup), putting it into a plate and dumping a small container of sheepsmilk yogurt on top.

Actually, this sounds great to me. Walnuts, pastry, sheepsmilk yogurt (kind of tangy like creme fraiche)--what's not to like? :smile:

Junior Mints (chocolate-covered mint candies) with buttered popcorn at the movie theater.

The stars alligned once to permit that combination and I actually like it now. Sweet, minty, buttery, chocolaty and salty may seems like an unlikely combination but somehow it works for me.

I guess it is a low brow forerunner of a fleur de sel truffle that I happened upon as a kid... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've bought Junior mints over the net before, ludja, just to try this. It was worth it, even outside the theatre.

My family always puzzles when I cover cheap, spongy pizza in malt vinegar. It's delicious in a very private way...All of that spongy, vinegary dough. I can't give a decent explaination, it's just deliciously wrong.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I never thought of this of repulsive, until recently, when a friend looked at me and said, what the hell are you doing?

Grilled cheese covered in worcestershire sauce. I think it's a perfect marraige of flavors.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I remember one day before school, my mom asked me what kind of sandwich I wanted that day (this was like 3rd grade ish), and I said "eh, either bologna and cheese or peanut butter, I dont know".

Cue a few hours later, and Im chomping down on my sandwich, loving it, and then I see that it was peanut butter, bologna, AND cheese... but yeah, I freakin loved it.

My girlfriend thinks Im crazy for eating peanut butter and cheese (muenster, cheddar) sandwiches. Am I?

Rico