• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BROOKS!

Rich Pawlak

So, Brooks, please tell us, how did this gig come about? What did it take to get into the Times???

CONGRATS! It is a deftly written piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/29/dining/2...ing&oref=slogin

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Very well done- it's great to see pieces like this in the Times.

So you got to hang with those guys at their gathering? Words cannot even begin to describe how jealous I am :smile:

Tonight I'll drink a toast to this article and another for the next!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Brooks, I half expected a reference to Dogfish Head in there. As it turns out, I'm attending a Dogfish Head dinner with Sam Calagione (founder) in a few weeks, and I'm hoping we'll get to try the 20% abv 120 Minute IPA, which I haven't had yet. Any reason they're not mentioned? I'm not very knowledgeable about beer, I admit, but their 90 Minute IPA is the standard house brew here, so I'm curious. Thanks.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Brooks, I half expected a reference to Dogfish Head in there. As it turns out, I'm attending a Dogfish Head dinner with Sam Calagione (founder) in a few weeks, and I'm hoping we'll get to try the 20% abv 120 Minute IPA, which I haven't had yet. Any reason they're not mentioned? I'm not very knowledgeable about beer, I admit, but their 90 Minute IPA is the standard house brew here, so I'm curious. Thanks.

Sam is certainly an incredibly talented guy, and there were some others that were worthy of inclusion (Pizza Port in Southern CA for one group) but there were some space limitations that I couldn't overcome. Also, I was trying to cover some geography, as well. Much was left on the cutting room floor. Next time, I hope...

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

So again, what steps did you have to take to pitch, and get the assignment to write for the NYT? Inquiring freelancers want to know!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Pizza Port in Southern CA

One of my favorite destinations in Solana Beach on the San Diego coast... you made my day, except now I'll look at my lunch and yearn to be at Pizza Port. Great beer and very good pizza.

Congrats on the article!

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

The Solana Beach Pizza Port is indeed the best of both worlds, killer beer AND killer pizzas. And Brewer Tomme Arthur is a genius of big beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large