• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help reviving an aluminum pressure cooker

CanadianBakin'

This is really embarrassing. A couple Christmases ago I brined the turkey in my pressure cooker (I think it's aluminum or some other potable metal) as it was the only thing big enough to accomplish the task. In the rush of serving etc. in my small kitchen, someone put the not-cleaned pot outside our side door which almost never gets used. And you guessed it, it was completely forgotten until a couple months later. A bit of a suprise to find. Anyways, I tried cleaning it but the bottom appears to have been "eaten" into and I'm not sure if it's safe to use again. Is there anyway I can clean it to be assured that it's ok to use or do I have to throw it out? I've had it sitting in a cupboard since then not sure what to do but it recently occured to me that someone here might know. Any ideas?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Don't use it as a pressure cooker. Deep acid etching is permanent and weakens the structure. If you ever have to use an aluminum vessel again, use one of the super heavy Zip-Log storage bags. They are food safe.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Don't use it as a pressure cooker.  Deep acid etching is permanent and weakens the structure.  If you ever have to use an aluminum vessel again, use one of the super heavy Zip-Log storage bags.  They are food safe.

Would it still be safe to use as a soup pot even if I don't use it as a pressure cooker?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

absolutely, given a thorough cleaning. Lime-away (phosphoric acid) and Easy-off (lye) both do wonders of stripping the oxidation off aluminum. At least off aluminum wheels.

How deep is the etching/pitting? Any competent TIG welder could probably fill in the pits if it's that important to you, and many machine shops can use the metal spray technique to build thickness.

The Zip-Loc bag is a great idea, I wonder if it would stand up to the conditions in a safe-to-use pressure cooker? Kind of a high-temp sous-vide sort of thing. Or even just to use as a liner to keep aluminum from reacting with the food... Might try it out.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Pitted aluminum? Regardless of where the experts stand today on the subject of alumimum and it's effects on us ~ chuck it out! I figure if it was at your side door, forgotten and not needed for that long, it's not something near and dear anyway.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Once the hardened surface on a cast aluminum pot is broken, by acid etching, or other break, the undersurface is actually more reactive - just sitting in normal atmosphere you will see a powdery build up in and around the pitted area which indicates that a reaction is appearing.

Cooking anything in it that has any acid content at all will cause leaching of the metallic salts into whatever is being cooked.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Once the hardened surface on a cast aluminum pot is broken, by acid etching, or other break, the undersurface is actually more reactive - just sitting in normal atmosphere you will see a powdery build up in and around the pitted area which indicates that a reaction is appearing.

Cooking anything in it that has any acid content at all will cause leaching of the metallic salts into whatever is being cooked.

OK, so basically I've got a big pot I could boil jars in for canning (minus the pressure) and that's it. Sounds like I better just toss it. As John mentioned, if I didn't miss for that long it's not a huge loss. And it was a hand-me-down in the first place. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

OK, so basically I've got a big pot I could boil jars in for canning (minus the pressure) and that's it. Sounds like I better just toss it. As John mentioned, if I didn't miss for that long it's not a huge loss. And it was a hand-me-down in the first place. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

What are you doing out of bed....... ??

Get back in bed and grow that baby in your belly !!!!!

What are you doing thinking about turkey. The only turkey you will be getting is the stuff the nurses bring you after you have your healthy baby !! ( and that ain't turkey........)

Let me know where you are and I might bring you a turkey sandwich !!

white bread, cranberry sauce, white meat and an extra sprinkling of salt.....yum

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

What are you doing out of bed....... ??

Get back in bed and grow that baby in your belly !!!!!

What are you doing thinking about turkey. The only turkey you will be getting is the stuff the nurses bring you after you have your healthy baby !! ( and that ain't turkey........)

Let me know where you are and I might bring you a turkey sandwich !!

white bread, cranberry sauce, white meat and an extra sprinkling of salt.....yum

...what are you doing in the General Food Topics Forum??? :wink:

I'll be back in bed by Monday. This week was my "good week" in the chemo cycle. Don't you worry, I'm growing this baby well. He's about 3 lbs right now and I've got a month to go. I won't be cooking the Christmas meal, my mother-in-law has that under control and unfortunately it won't be turkey. But I LOVE turkey and your turkey sandwich sounds awesome!! If you happen to be around the maternity ward at RCH on Dec 29th or 30th the nurses will probably be letting me eat by then :biggrin: .

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

I used cast aluminum pressure canners for years - up until an event about 30 years ago when a very large one exploded - the lid had cracked in half. Thank goodness I wasn't in the kitchen because the turkey necks and backs I was cooking to soften the bones for dog food, was flung all over the kitchen, plastered on the walls and ceiling.

Half of the lid was imbedded in a wall, having punched through ceramic tile and the cement scratch coat and the plaster behind it. The other half was in the attic, having taken a chunk out of a large wood beam before it went through the (again, thick plaster) ceiling.

On close examination, I noticed small pits all over the inner surface of the lid, which I had always cleaned and carefully dried.

I replaced it with a stainless steel one, even though the cost seemed excessive. No more reactive metals for me.