• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dam Aloo

Suvir Saran

Kabir had been in the midst of making dam aloos for his friend Vishal who would be joining them that evening. It was Vishal’s favorite dish, “a shining example” of the cooking of the Mughal courts. The Mughals, Muslims who invaded India from what is now Uzbekistan, ruled India from the 16th to the 18th centuries. The Mughal rule was noteworthy both for having tolerated all the religions in India and for making India, for a time, into one of the richest and most powerful countries in the world. Mughal cooking is accepted as the height of Indian culinary culture.

Kabir had used the tiniest whole baby potatoes Geoff could find at the Union Square greenmarket near their downtown apartment. The potatoes had been peeled and deep-fried, punctured with several holes to help them absorb the sauce, then cooked again in a mixture of yogurt and fried onions spiced with fresh ginger, a whole garam masala (whole cloves, black peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves), turmeric and cumin. There was just enough of the richly flavored sauce to coat the potatoes. Just as Kabir was putting these into an ovenproof dish, the phone rang. It was Vishal calling to ask what to wear. Hands still stained with sauce, Kabir took the phone.

Dam Aloo are my all time favorite party dish. I find something totally enchanting about these simple potatoes. Well, they are not really simple, but I guess I always treat potatoes as a most simple ingredient.

Do you have any special Indian potato dishes?

Where do you get them?

Do you have favorite recipes?

Potato stores related to Indian cooking?

Survir,

In the fall can you add pumpkin to the Aloo?

Aloo is the word for potatoes in Hindi.

I have never cooked potatoes and pumpkins in Indian cooking together. Not sure what to say here.

What did you have in mind? what did you want to do with the two of these together?

I was thinking of aloo koda, which in my readings refered to pumpkins blended with potatoes. I was thinking that adding pumpkin would offer an interesting color and texture kind of as mango does for aloo bhaji

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

I was thinking of aloo koda, which in my readings refered to pumpkins blended with potatoes.

Aloo koda? What is that? kaddu is the hindi word for Pumpkin. I am sure in one of the many regions it is called Koda. Where did you find this recipe? It sounds fun. What did you read about this dish? Care to share? I am really intrigued now.

PS: And as stated above.. Aloo is hindi for potato.

I was thinking that adding pumpkin would offer an interesting color and texture kind of as mango does for aloo bhaji

How do you make your Aloo Bhaji? What mangoes do you use? Another recipe that sounds very nice. Would you mind sharing recipe with us?

One of my favourite dishes is a sautee of potato and eggplant with julienned ginger and fresh coriander. Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

Anyone got any ideas?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

One of my favourite dishes is a sautee of potato and eggplant with julienned ginger and fresh coriander. Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

Anyone got any ideas?

Aloo Baingan is common fare in both Southern and Nothern India. The recipes will vary from home to home and certainly region to region.

In some areas they cut the eggplant into discs that are then deep fried and later added to the sauce which has potatoes in it.

In some areas the eggplant and potatoes are both cut into squares and cooked like a stir fry.

In Maharasthra (Western India), one finds a dish of potatoes and eggplant called Rasa Vangi. Vangi is the maharashtrian word for eggplant. The eggplant is fried and so are the potatoes. The sauce has tamarind in it. Also coconut and sugar are added to the salt.

Aloo Baingan is what I was thinking of, thank you.

The eggplant had been fried and the potatoes probably steamed beforehand b/c they were soft-ish.

Do you perhaps have a recipe for it?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

Aloo Baingan is what I was thinking of, thank you.

The eggplant had been fried and the potatoes probably steamed beforehand b/c they were soft-ish.

Do you perhaps have a recipe for it?

I was testing one for you. Will write it and post it sometime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Suvir, aloo bengan is my favorite vegitarian indian dish. The heat and texture (at least in the versions I've tried) matches no other to be sopped up with roti. I am very curious how yours came out as I have once attempted to simulate this dish, without guidance, and was miserable. I did boil the potatoes and fry the eggplant, and the texture seemed about right. However, the spicing was all off. It is difficult to remember exactly what I used, but coriander, cumen, and cinnamon were involved. Perhaps I will try again this weekend.

Rice pie is nice.

I have made aloo chaat that never fails to surprise and please people who say, Oh, but I hate potato salad (thinking, of course, of the mayonnaise-y American kind). Now, if I could only remember where the recipe is ... :hmmm:

I'd be interested in recipes that don't require frying so many of the ingredients.

I have made aloo chaat that never fails to surprise and please people who say, Oh, but I hate potato salad (thinking, of course, of the mayonnaise-y American kind).  Now, if I could only remember where the recipe is ...  :hmmm:

I'd be interested in recipes that don't require frying so many of the ingredients.

Aloo Chaat Recipe

This may not be what you had... but you can see this version.. and make your own.

• 2 weeks later...
We made Dam Aloo this evening .. it got me thinking how much sauce should there be? There did not seem to be all that much, is this correct?

Also .. this dish is best made with new small potatos.. what potato dishes are there that are suited to the older floury potatos?

There should be minimal sauce when making the Bengali preparation for Dam Aloo. In the Lucknow preparation there is enough sauce for the potatoes to be surrounded in a pool of a thick sauce.

Restaurants serve much too much sauce with Dam Aloo. That is not how they are served in homes.