• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Pastry Cream?

M. Lucia

I was thinking up ideas for a holiday dessert, and I love macaroons and dacquoise, so I thought what about a pistachio-pomegranate dacquoise.

I want it to be red and green for the holidays. My first thought was:

pistachio meringue

pomegranate pastry cream

drizzle of white chocolate and sprinkle of pom seeds and pistachios

repeat layers

But then, can you make a pom. pastry cream? Obviously pomegranate juice would thin it out too much, and pom. molasses might be too strong. Hmmm...

So my second thought was:

pistachio meringue, pomegranate jelly, white chocolate or cream cheese pastry cream, sprinkles of nuts and pom. seeds.

That still keeps the holiday colors, but I am sort of attached to the idea of some sort of red cream.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on how to construct this dessert, or any of it's components, I could use some advice and suggestions. Many thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions, I, too, am suddenly enamoured by the idea of pom. curd!

For the dacquoise, I think doing both the curd and a pastry cream would be too soft. So I could do pistachio meringue, pom curd, with white chocolate shavings, etc. Or, pistachio meringue, pom jelly, and this good cream cheese pastry cream I make. Will mull it over, in the meantime, keep the ideas coming!

I did a pistachio creme anglaise for a dinner party a while back as an accompanying sauce that turned out marvelously. It was a light green color and had the pistachio essence in it. IIRC, I ended up adding homemade pistachio butter to the egg/sugar base of the creme anglaise until it was the right color/flavor.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link