• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Party Guests

Bernaise

I am having guests to my home two weeks Thursday. Two of my guests have explained to me that they are orthodox/observant Jews. I am making snacks and appetizers. I would like to serve food that they can eat. Can you help me? If I buy something ready-made do I let them open it so they know it is ok for them to consume? Is there anything that can be prepared in a non kosher home that is suitable (such as fresh fruit or raw veggies) to eat? Clearly I am not Jewish so please, I need some guidance, recipes and some tips! Thanks

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

one discussion on having observant Jewish guests ... and there are several on this topic ... I keep kosher as does Pam R. and we might be able to answer questions that you may have which will arise ... more links shortly to help guide you ...

This is another great thread on this topic by Pam R.

kosher questions

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

In one of the other threads, Swisskaese observed that if guests are strictly orthodox, they may have a problem with your plates and utensils.

I found that to be the case with the husband of one friend, who refused to eat or drink anything that was served in my home because it was prepared in a non-kosher kitchen.

Yet, another kosher friend ate a vegetarian meal I prepared.

To play it safe, I would ask the guests ahead of time.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

In one of the other threads, Swisskaese observed that if guests are strictly orthodox, they may have a problem with your plates and utensils.

and they would be able to eat off some nice new disposables with plastic utensils if they are new ... still, be aware that cooking in your kitchen may be a consideration for them if they are on that level of observance ... unopened bags of foods bearing the U inside a circle are kosher and acceptable to most observant people ... like SuzySushi says though, you do need to ask them about what is fine and what is not ...

Thanks for your words and for directing me to the threads! I also wondered if, anything could be eaten at my home. I will absolutely purchase plates and utensils. When I asked about what I could get\prepare for them - they told me not to worry about it. But then, what kind of host would I be?

When I asked about what I could get\prepare for them - they told me not to worry about it. But then, what kind of host would I be?

Their comment may indicate that they will be eating something beforehand and plan to snack lightly or that they are not too concerned about what you serve ... it will be interesting to hear how all this plays out .. do keep us informed, yes? :wink:

Don't be offended if they won't eat anything. The best thing to do is have a package of unopened plastic cups available. Let them open the package and then have soft drinks or water available. I would suggest buying a bottle of coke and have a bottle of water for them.

If you want serve some fruit, do not cut or peel the fruit. Only serve them whole fruit.

If you have access to a Kosher bakery, then you could buy a parve cake (not made with dairy products), but do not open it until they arrive and see the package with the heksher (U or K). They will know what that means.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

OK so I found some shops in town that do kosher snacks and appi's! I've bought the disposable stuff, will not peel the fruit, have the water and coke and will not open any food I buy for their consumption. I will update after the soiree.

• 2 weeks later...
OK so I found some shops in town that do kosher snacks and appi's!  I've bought the disposable stuff, will not peel the fruit, have the water and coke and will not open any food I buy for their consumption. I will update after the soiree.

Bernaise,

Looks like you've got everything covered! You're very considerate indeed to put so much thought and effort into your guest's comfort. More than providing them with acceptable food, you have gracefully avoided a situation where they would have to decline your hospitality - an uneasy thing for a guest to do. So everyone's social and everyone's eating something - all is easy. Good for you.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 2 weeks later...

I’m wondering what would happen if you went to their house for dinner and if they would prepare a separate menu just for you. I think you’d be eating kosher and I think that would be proper since you are a guest. I think it’s rude to expect such special treatment from a host. Maybe dinner isn’t the best way of socializing when dinning habits are so diametrically opposed.

I’m wondering what would happen if you went to their house for dinner and if they would prepare a separate menu just for you. I think you’d be eating kosher and I think that would be proper since you are a guest. I think it’s rude to expect such special treatment from a host. Maybe dinner isn’t the best way of socializing when dinning habits are so diametrically opposed.

If you read above, the guests were expecting nothing. In fact, they said not to worry, that they would eat before they came to the party.

I really don't understand your point. What if the guests had a wheat, milk or egg allergy? You wouldn't want to hang out with them?

So, I guess if I was invited to dinner at your house and you served a big ham, I would be expected to eat it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Are you for real?

Apart from which, Bernaise's obvious desire to please, which speaks of an enthusiastic and hospitable nature, begs to be fulfilled. Good will all around is the theme here, I think. ('Tis the season, after all...) Don't you agree?

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

I've spent the day marinating the lamb, making pastry cream, cleaning chopping and macerating fruit, making the zuppa inglese, and a tiramisu...plus plus plus...I am a bit tired. but I am taking a break and at last here is the update:

My guests were very touched that there was food available for them.

everything was sealed.

I found THE most delicious hummous 'sabra' or 'sabri' with pine nuts and hot chilies sooo good.

kosher wheat pitas,

candied nuts,

salsa

corn chips

spinach bureks

spring rolls

carrots, pineapple

sparkling water, a kosher sparkling peach juice and coke.

At one point I thought we could warm up some of the snacks in tin foil, alas no.

so we popped the snacks, sealed of course, on the heat vent of the oven, and that worked!

The party was a success, and no-one felt awkward or left behind. I'd do it again in an instant!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Bernaise, your hospitality for these kosher guests (as well as everyone else)is exemplary .. how very gracious you are in making your guests' comfort a primary focus on this occasion! There is nothing so appreciated as knowing that a hostess has studied the options available and acted with care to assure their proper execution in preparation! Bravo, hostess with the mostest, as one once put it ...