• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hog Maw

nymerical2

I can only think of one thing when I hear hog maws mentioned: Lester and Bea Bea's Lawnside BBQ which occupied the space now occupied by ?Ron's Ribs on South Street.

About 25 years ago I brought my girlfriend in there to have some dinner. While standing at the counter and perusing the menu she asked Bea Bea, "What are hog maws?" The words were barely out of her mouth as the the reply was fired back, with authority, "pigs' testicles...WANT SOME?", lol!

Well, we still laugh about that, and we still miss the old Lawnisde. The BBQ was not the best we have ever had, but the place and the staff had a character all their own. We dined there many times until they eventually closed.

We never ordered the hog maws, but we eventually married, and we, at least I, would give those maws a try, if they we being served at the Lawnside today. Or maybe not, lol.

Sorry I have no recipies for you, but I guess they would go well with BBQ or some other highly seasoned fare.

:biggrin:

Edited by sunra (log)

I think "Hog Maws" is usually used to mean the stomach, basically tripe from a pig.  Is that what you mean Andy?    Sorry, I don't have any fond memories or recipes or suggestions, I've never had it...

The hog maw I'm talking about is the stomach of the pig stuffed with sausage, onions, and potatoes. You make the raw mixture and stuff into the stomach, sew up the opening and roast whole. The stomach becomes very caramelized and crispy and the inside is basically a sausage casserole. I have been working on several new updates and was looking for condiment memories(a la ketchup or syrup on scrapple) One that I worked on today was making a terrine with layers of pork sausage, braised smoked ham hock, yukon gold potato, black winter truffle. The crispy part is not played by the stomach, but by maple glazed pork rinds. A baby arugula salad and verjus vinaigrette finish the dish. Still working, but it was a fun inspiration!

The hog maw I'm talking about is the stomach of the pig stuffed with sausage, onions, and potatoes. You make the raw mixture and stuff into the stomach, sew up the opening and roast whole. The stomach becomes very caramelized and crispy and the inside is basically a sausage casserole.

Soul Food Haggis, anyone? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol