• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teaching a young cook

jgm

We've had discussions on other threads about contributing to our communities by teaching people to cook, especially those who are economically challenged. When I participated in and read those threads, I guess I just assumed that if I ever did it, I'd step into a program of some sort. But that's not the way this is shaping up.

I have a young friend whose family is struggling financially. Her husband works; she stays at home with one child, and is pregnant. They have just been turned down for food stamps, but I think she's going to look into WIC. (I suspect that if they actually took the steps to apply for food stamps, which most people would not want to do, they must be pretty desperate.) I have agreed to teach her some things that will help her cook more frugally. She has beginning-level cooking skills, and wants to learn to cook. Since I'm not an expert on cooking at all, but only a home cook who is working to improve my own skills, I'm trying to decide how to approach this.

I think we're going to start out with stewing a chicken, so that she can use the meat and the broth to make chicken and noodles, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup, etc. But I'm not sure where to go from there.

I'm thinking about sitting down with her and finding out what her family likes to eat, and then figuring out how to approach it after we get the first chicken dishes figured out. I intend to teach her some strategies, such as prepping ahead, that will work in with a young mother's schedule. I think I'll teach her how to make a basic tomato sauce, and build on it.

And at that point, we're reaching some of the limits of my own cooking skills. I've been reading Sally Schneider's books to improve my own cooking, and I want to take an ingredients-driven approach -- and probably learn a lot, myself.

I'd appreciate any ideas, strategies, and comments you might have to offer.

It sounds like you have a great start and are working towards improving the health and lifestyle of another human being. You are going in the right direction.

I would really emphasize paying attention to nutritional density in seasonal foods, especially vegetables. What to look for in leafy greens etc. This is a great site:

http://www.whfoods.com/getstarted.php

Here is the 130 healthiest foods list:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

The list is long enough to keep any family from being bored.

Another neat tool on the page, that takes into account region and likes and dislikes:

http://whfoods.org/foodadvisor.php

While they dis fat a bit much for my taste, a moderate amount of fat is important in every diet, and can be used descriminately in reasonable amounts to add flavor.

I would suggest a short course on braising, beef or pork. Great for cheap cuts.

Dried beans in any variety are wonderful. Cornmeal and cornbreads are a great way to sneak in some nutrition with the starch in a tasty way.

Multiuse is great to learn when on a budget. A pound of bacon not only produces the bacon fried up, but produces bacon fat that can be judiciously added as a flavoring to other foods to pep them up.

Freezing, canning and preserving are important. Buy it cheap, buy it in bulk, and put it back. Meat as well as vegetables.

I assume you are encouraging her to use the whole chicken? I was feeding a family of four and got three meals out of a single chicken.

Good luck, and you are doing a wonderful thing.

Edited by annecros (log)

I would suggest that the more you make this about cooking delicious food (that happens to be cheap and nutritious) and the less you make it feel like "eat your vegetables because they're good for you" the more successful you will be in creating positive, long-term change. Teach adventure and delight.

Aside from people forced for medical reasons to pay attention to their diets, I don't know any passionate cooks who think about nutrition first. They think first about a good dinner. Nonethless, they tend to be very good at coaxing the best meals out of inexpensive ingredients and they put nutritious meals on the table.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Don't forget casseroles, and rice pilaf type dishes - big budget stretchers for me back in the day...

but annecros is right - it's important to emphasize balanced nutrition and not living on beans and pasta alone no matter how cheap they are :smile:

Also help her find your local "grocery outlet" and if you have one, a wholesale grocer that's open to the public. Both great budget helpers.

ETA: Oh and growing your own fresh herbs (even if in a windowbox) because that way they're right there when you need them, plus they often cost a fortune in the grocery store!

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Very good of you to do this. I'm sure your friend appreciates it. It must be overwhelming for her, but with some step by step guidance you'll get her through this. I spend a lot of money on food. Nevertheless I try to be frugal by using it all if possible. Lots of the bits we throw out can be the basis of soups and stocks.

I realize it's hard for people to go cold turkey on meat, but that is often the priciest item in people's diet. However, if she can winnow them down to a 3 to 4 oz per person serving it will be healthier as well as cheaper. It will be psychologically easier for your friend if you emphasize that her goal is not JUST to save money, it's to do it by concentrating on making their diet more nutritious. We have been advertised into spending too much for too little nutrition, into consuming foods that are actually bad for us. Wising up, just cutting out sodas and commercially made snacks will make most of us healthier and wealthier.

In fact, by focusing on eating healthier, they can almost automatically eat cheaper. Incorporating beans and legumes into their diet will add protein. Using whole grains for breakfast cerals instead of processed boxes of stuff mostly not good for you anyway will save big bucks. Last time I looked those heavily advertised breakfast "foods" were around $3/box. I buy organic rolled oats (better than Quaker's instant fluff) for less than $1/lb.

Since you're starting with chicken: Suggest to her that she serve the chicken boned, then save/use the bones again to make a little moe broth/stock much as one uses the turkey carcass. There are lots of trimmings of onions, carrots, celery and other veggies that can be saved to use with the bones to make stock. Store it all up in the freezer as you go. Generally you can get bones for very little or even free. These can make stock to use in all sorts of dishes, uping the flavor and nutrition for next to nothing. Intensifying the flavors allows you to get by with much less meat.

Using what we all too often throw away is an important step. I'm not challenged economically; yet the other night while making a relatively expensive meal, I used the ends of onions, carrots and some fennel stalks - all of which would have been thrown out - to add to the head and bones of a small bass for stock for a dish I was making for my vegetarian daughter at an otherwise carnivorous meal. I stuffed the small bass with a a little sauted chopped onion and fennel, mixed in some breadcrumbs (previously salvaged from loaf ends and frozen), a few spices. I stuffed the fish with this, tied it up and sauted it. I then added some cream to the reduced fish stock, reduced the cream, poured it over the fish and had her swooning over the dish and all the carnivores demanding a taste. True the bass was $9/lb, but not all fish are that expensive. A inexpensive piece of fish also can stuffed like this or be laid out, covered with a similar stuffing, rolled, tied, baked.

Again, because I like it that way, I will take a piece of pork or chicken, pound it out very thin, coat (flour, egg, crumbs) it, and fry it. Three oz of meat makes an enormous cutlet that way; add a little freshly made salsa of almost any juicy vegetable or fruit with a dose of hot, spicy, sweet, herbal, and a touch of oil and vinegar for a delicious zip. It hardly matters what ingredients you put in, it's usually delicious. Plus there are gazillions of recipes out there. The savings is not just $, its the nutrition and not having who knows what chemicals added to your food.

Also, depending on where you live, there are places to find food cheaper. Many towns have an equivalent to Philadelphia's 9th St Market where prices are WAY cheaper than supermarkets. If there are ethnic markets in her area that carry fresh produce and fish, they may be considerably cheaper. There may even be a food coop in the area. In many areas there is free food distribution for those of limited means by churches or non-profits.

The important thing is to stay away from buying processed foods. They are (usually) less nutritious and always more expensive. Give up processed cerials and go to rolled oats, wheatena, or other whole grains for breakfast. Better for you and way cheaper. I get a pound of organic rolled oats for less than $!/lb. at my coop. I can't guess how many boxes of popped, fluffed, and transfatted cereals that's the equivalent of. Last time I looked a box of processed breakfast cereal was about $3/box! Amazing people buy all that advertising.

Most important of all, I believe, is for them to get their head around not being deprived but instead being forced to develop a healthful way of eating. Whole grains, beans, legumes should be the base of all our diets. Fortunately they are among the cheapest foods. Some of the cheapest vegetables, such as cabbage, are really good for us and can be prepared in very tasty ways. If she buys carrots, beets, radishes, turnips, etc. with tops, those tops can be used, not tossed. I tend to saute them up for pasta & greens with lots of garlic or add them to soups.

Perhaps when she feels less overwhelmed by the change she might even bake bread at home. A couple loaves of Cornell Bread will not call for pricy ingredients and supply way more nutrition cheaper than cheap bread that's not really filling. And in the winter having the oven on helps heat the house.

(Also, not exactly on topic, during the energy crisis of the 70's when I turned my thermostat way down, I dicovered I not only reduced the heat bill, but reduced colds for us all as well. Since then I've set it between 55-65f and throw on a sweater if I need it. I get through some winters without colds now.)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Breastfeeding and making your own baby food will save a small fortune too.

She'll probably want some recipes that feel a little like restaurant food as well. Maybe a nice stirfry and some fried rice. A fabulous mac and cheese. Homemade potato chips or corn chips will save her a few bucks a pop. Carnitas.

Nice job and good luck.

I would suggest that the more you make this about cooking delicious food (that happens to be cheap and nutritious) and the less you make it feel like "eat your vegetables because they're good for you" the more successful you will be in creating positive, long-term change.  Teach adventure and delight.

Aside from people forced for medical reasons to pay attention to their diets, I don't know any passionate cooks who think about nutrition first.  They think first about a good dinner.  Nonethless, they tend to be very good at coaxing the best meals out of inexpensive ingredients and they put nutritious meals on the table.

The most passionate cooks I have ever met were forced by economic reasons to pay attention to their diets, and certainly thought of nutrition first. A bunch of kids to keep healthy and active, and no money, is a great motivator. This is where the Mom thing comes in, I suppose.

I hope this lady gets on WIC. It is really a great program that will allow her to build a pretty impressive pantry, as long as she is careful with her WIC dollars and doesn't spend them on some of the more processed and less healthy items. She should have plenty of eggs, milk, juice and cheese if nothing else to do anything she wants with. Toss in a couple of veggies, and you should be able to produce a tasty meal.

Amazing that a significant amount of US Service families are on both WIC and Food Stamps.

You are getting some great suggestions here. Maybe some copycat recipes for the family's favorite fast foods, as suggested earlier everyone needs a tasty break from time to time, and a feeling of indulgence.

Edited by annecros (log)

Hear, hear about minimizing the dutiful and grim aspects of the situation as much as possible.

I am skeptical about the way nutrionists promote the joys of color when trying to get us to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. The message that comes across is still "I am better than you."

Finding out what individual family members enjoy eating, and teaching the young mother how to prepare these dishes first would be most helpful, especially if they include take-out or packaged foods that might be less costly were she to learn how to make them herself.

Start with mastering the familiar, maybe adding a new vegetable that she picks out herself, or a different flavor. Meatloaf is one way to do this. Macaroni and cheese or spaghetti "sauced" with something other than tomato would be fun once she's learned how to cook spaghetti, make her own tomato sauce, then see how different flavors added to tomato sauce alleviate monotony. For example, spaghetti carbonara might be exotic, but who doesn't like bacon, eggs, cheese or spaghetti? Get to that point by adding bacon to spaghetti sauce, making eggs for breakfast, or even trying fettuccine with an egg yolk and cheese added to cream. All these steps might make the prospect of tossing hot pasta into a pan of greasy raw, gooey egg less icky.

Learning where and how to shop is essential, and I am sure you can help a lot there. Compare prices, go to different stores and introduce the concept of seasonal food. Teach how to stock a pantry with ingredients she'll need to prepare things from scratch. Learn what store specials are real deals and how to stock up for the future if there's an item she'll use often.

Establishing what's better fresh or frozen vs. canned is tricky if she was raised on canned green beans, but the general rule is to find a positive way to present unfamiliar options without condescension and to involve her in the discovery of something new as much as possible as opposed to making her the ignorant recipient of superior information devolved from on high. There's something to be said for the Edible Schoolyard method of making kids into gardeners to get them excited about eating chard they grew on their pizza. You can do something a little more expedient with shopping while learning about new foods.

As the teacher, you've got a great source for lessons here, especially in established threads devoted to related topics, such as the recent one here about minimizing grocery bills, started in this forum by someone else closer to your neck of the woods than mine. (Can't think of search terms, but I'm sure someone will offer the link.) Also think about ways cookbooks in your public library might serve as a surrogate for a resource like the Dinner Thread. Let her pick out pictures that look interesting and help her master skills required by recipes.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Anne's last post reminds me of my grandmother always saying if you have milk bread and eggs you can make a meal...dont forget breakfast for dinner days.

I mean we only eat a real breakfast one morning a week so sometimes I will make big platters of eggs with leftover meats or spicy sausage and toasted Italian bread for dinner, and one can never have too much french toast.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

She has beginning-level cooking skills, and wants to learn to cook.

I'd appreciate any ideas, strategies, and comments you might have to offer.

No ideas, strategies, or comments, but a couple of questions.

What are her "beginning-level cooking skills" composed of, in reality? What does she cook now?

Where did she learn these skills?

Is it the economic factor that is urging her in the direction of wanting to learn about cooking, or a sincere interest in actually doing cooking?

It seems to me that both these questions will bear weight upon whatever plan the two of you come up with that will "work".

For the best lesson plans in the world will not work unless one knows the student's basic impetus for wanting to learn.

If there is a true love of cooking, then almost anything you choose to teach her will be taken in and used well.

If this is being done mostly from a sense of duty, the task will be more difficult, and the "lessons" would have to be tailored to that knowledge.

I would suggest that the more you make this about cooking delicious food (that happens to be cheap and nutritious) and the less you make it feel like "eat your vegetables because they're good for you" the more successful you will be in creating positive, long-term change.  Teach adventure and delight.

Aside from people forced for medical reasons to pay attention to their diets, I don't know any passionate cooks who think about nutrition first.  They think first about a good dinner.  Nonethless, they tend to be very good at coaxing the best meals out of inexpensive ingredients and they put nutritious meals on the table.

The most passionate cooks I have ever met were forced by economic reasons to pay attention to their diets, and certainly thought of nutrition first. A bunch of kids to keep healthy and active, and no money, is a great motivator. This is where the Mom thing comes in, I suppose.

I hope this lady gets on WIC. It is really a great program that will allow her to build a pretty impressive pantry, as long as she is careful with her WIC dollars and doesn't spend them on some of the more processed and less healthy items. She should have plenty of eggs, milk, juice and cheese if nothing else to do anything she wants with. Toss in a couple of veggies, and you should be able to produce a tasty meal.

Amazing that a significant amount of US Service families are on both WIC and Food Stamps.

You are getting some great suggestions here. Maybe some copycat recipes for the family's favorite fast foods, as suggested earlier everyone needs a tasty break from time to time, and a feeling of indulgence.

Never done the mom thing,so I can't comment on that. Just the dad thing. My wife has done the mom thing, though and I can say that between the two us I'd be surprised if we've spent more than 20 minutes on a nutrition discussion more detailed than "we need something green for dinner," or "make sure she gets some fruit in her lunch" over the last 20 years. The kids seem healthy.

On the other hand, because we find cooking more of a joy (just like that book!) than a chore, and because we take a clear delight in a decent meal, we more or less naturally (when we don't send out for pizza :wink: ) end up serving and eating all the things you're supposed to eat. Because that makes dinner better. And other people pick up on it.

You know, spoon full of sugar and all that -- not saying you should ignore the practical aspects of dinner, but why lead with a nutrition lecture when you're teaching something that is actually enjoyable aside from that? Tell a man that fish is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, and he'll eat properly for a day (and then sneak off to McDonalds later than night). Show him how good it is with mashed potatoes and a little garlick spinach, and he might eat well for a lifetime. (Teach him to fish and he'll live on beer and sandwiches :wink: )

Just thought of this, btw, thinking of my kids: fried rice, done up with fresh or frozen (usually cheaper and not much different after frying) veggies, whatever meat is leftover and a cracked egg or two. Dirt cheap, way filling, easy to cook and an opportunity to teach someone about fresh garlic and ginger and how to stir fry. Worked for me and, 20 years later, my kids.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Alot of great suggestions already. I would only add to develop a small but utlilitarian repetoire, don't overwhem with too much technique and information. Basics that can be expanded upon with confidence(and a recipe)will stick better. One pot type dish mentality will also cut down on the clean up afterwards, which can turn off many to wanting to cook. Organization is key thru out the process, to aleviate any possible mistakes, and the mess to follow. Good Luck!

The reason I learned to cook and tried ethnic foods were similar to your friend's reasons - limited means and wanting to eat more healthfully. Once you know how adventurous (or not) they are you can start building bridges between what they're eating now (or would prefer to eat) and the inexpensive healthful ideal without being pedantic or boring. When you think of it, most of the ingredients that go into many of the popular/fast foods are fairly inexpensive (thinking here of beans, cornmeal, pasta, eggs) as they started out as working class family meals. Since we're among the wealthiest in the world (overall) and eat the worst, it almost seems there is an inverse correlation between money and nutrition, excepting the very high and low ends. We're having felafels and tabouli tonight, for example. Rather than buy pita, which we can never use up before it dries out, we'll just use flour tortillas (which will become inexpensive-yet-healthful burritos/enchiladas/sanchos at some other point in the week). Grains, beans, onion, garlic - all pretty inexpensive and full of flavor and nutrients. Naturally this time of year the cukes, tomatoes, scallions, lettuce we'd prefer to top them with will either come at some expense or be done without (likely the latter, although the rain last night may have kicked our lettuces into gear outside).

I'd also suggest hitting a thrift store for a crock pot, if she doesn't own one. You can take the humblest cut of meat, toss it in with a little liquid and some herbs/seasonings, turn your back for 8 hours and have tender meat to be used in any number of ways. Of course braising accomplishes the same thing but if I had two little ones to keep track of, I'd be taking the easy way out every chance I got! I routinely see crock pots for sale at rummage sales for $1-2.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'd also ask her if she tends to cook "what her husband likes to eat" because this knowledge could lead to a more finessed learning plan. So to speak.

What I'm trying to say here is that what you teach her needs to be what she wants to learn, not what one might think she *needs* to learn from anyone's viewpoint but her own. A lot of things bear weight upon this, if what she learns will, finally, be used in her everyday life, or if they just are things that she learns then does not really care to use for one reason or another.

Was that clear? :biggrin: I won't, I promise, try to say it again. :wink:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Much as many others have suggested:

what do they like?

What is easy to prep?

Easy to clean?

Makes useful leftovers?

Can be converted next day to something different enough to be interesting (bless fried rice, casseroles, etc)?

Can be turned into a delicious lunch for the working partner?

Can be frozen as-is for a meal next week?

Perhaps set up a meal 'rotation' / menu planning - I've found the biggest challenge is thinking of what to cook on any given day. I can get nearly anything done, if I've decided earlier in teh week what its going to be. But faced with the small fry etc, I will default to scrambled eggs most nights if I havent done any menu planning.

A 'rotation', especially if its a 2-week one, allows a new cook to stick with comfortable, familiar and well received meals most days, and to add a "new recipe day" to each rotation, so that the rotation isnt a life-time of unchanged menus.

Mom of small fry, not used to cooking - definitely follow the KISS rule.

She'll be washing veg, then waiting an hour before she can chop, then 3 hours later she can start to cook..... in which case dinner is likely to become cereal and milk.

Anything that can be cooked in excess and stored is a blessing. In a couple years, when she's a dab hand in the kitchen and the kids are self-entertaining, she can cook grains and pasta each time she wants them. For now, cookign a 2x or 3x batch and storing the extra in meal sized portions in the freezer can be a very good thing.

Finally, things that can be made ahead and held til dinner.

Its great to cook while baby/smallfry naps, but no good if the food isnt edible at dinner time. And somehow, naps and the hour before dinner dont align as often as one would hope.

A tiny thought: angelhair cooks up much faster than spaghetti.

Scrambled eggs make a great dinner.

Braise or crockpot - cheap cut of meat, a few veggies. Vary by serving with egg noodles, rice, quinoa, potatoes, etc on different occasions.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I can pinch a penny as well as anyone can. In addition to what others have said, I also recommend shopping at your nearest Aldi. There are several locations in Wichita and they usually have the best prices on staple items. I'm always amazed at how little money I spend for so much food whenever I go there. The produce is generally on the ripe side, but that's fine if you eat them within a few days. Eggs, milk, baking supplies, and chicken are generally much cheaper there than any place else.

The answers to these questions will help, possibly:

*Does she enjoy grocery shopping?

*Is she able to travel to different stores for different items when she shops? There may be transportation issues (besides the fact of a pregnant woman managing her other child while she shops).

*What are her most successful dishes "now"? Which ones work time after time?

This ties into the "build upon success" theories.

*Are there things that she or her husband do not like to eat?

*How much time does she spend now cooking? Does she like to linger over cooking or get it done as quickly as possible? Is she mostly a homebody who will putter away at cooking, or is she an out-and-about person whose activities are mostly out of the house?

*Is she or her husband an inveterate "snacker"?

*Is a portion of the food budget going to beer or wine and if so can this be focused in on to improve costs?

*If they dine out frequently, is it because of the social aspects of restaurant dining or is it simply from the wanting to have someone else do the cooking? If it is the social aspect, this could be addressed by hosting pot-luck dinners, perhaps.

My wife has done the mom thing, though and I can say that between the two us I'd be surprised if we've spent more than 20 minutes on a nutrition discussion more detailed than "we need something green for dinner," or "make sure she gets some fruit in her lunch" over the last 20 years.  The kids seem healthy. 

Of course the kids are healthy, silly. You are culturally and socially conditioned to eat nutritiously. You are culturally and socially conditioning your children to eat nutritiously. Unfortunately, some people are not. I have no idea what category your protege falls in, but if you feel that she is able to make a judgement call to know when the kids need a veggie or a piece of fruit - why would you be expending the time and effort to teach her to cook and nourish a home? Your 20 minute decision is an informed one, based upon life experience.

The point is, you are attempting to teach a relatively unskilled person to cook in order to sustain a family on an extremely limited budget.

I was not suggesting that you give her the whole lecture, but explaining that what you cooked is good for her and her family, and why, and why the meal is balanced nutritionally even though it is dirt cheap, adds bang for the buck. Fish and fishing and all that and those other sayings are all well and good. But by goodness, if you KNOW something, then nobody can take it away from you. It doesn't matter what else you lose materially, once you have learned it and know it, it is yours forever. This is the most compassionate gift you can offer another, and if you are anything like me, you will take knowledge back with you that will come around in unexpected times.

You take for granted that you and your wife know that it is time for something green, or a bit of fruit. There are those that honestly don't know that they need to put the protein+starch+green thing on a plate at least once a day, or every other if you can't do that. If you can only do it every other day, it is pretty handy to know what green thing will give you the most value.

Breakfast for dinner works. Even though I can afford steak, I eat this way when I please because it is nourishing and comforting.

Anne

I just had a thought (it happens on occasion): your alma mater has an extension service that offers a lot of home economics, nutrition, health, consumer, family type programs. They appear to have some newsletters that might be useful (perhaps you could print ones of interest or, if she's inclined, most libraries offer free computer time). I just did a quick survey and, while it's kind of turkey-centric right now, there seem to be some good ideas there you (or she, or both) could use as a starting point for some of the 'lessons'. If you go to this page and scroll down a bit, there's a section outlining programs they offer to help with applying for food stamps, something called Family Nutrition Program, etc.

There's a picture of the Sedgwick County facility on the site as well. I'd guess, from the size of it and number of programs, they have a certified kitchen where people can prepare quantities of things, put food by, etc.

I've been wanting to do the Master Food Volunteer program for over a year but it's not designed for working stiffs, currently. They did mention they've had some interest in classes either on weekends, evenings or in a block of time (likely summer) when those who work might be able to arrange to attend.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

My thought was that it is very possible that whomever this is that wants to learn to cook, does know the basics of nutrition, but simply does not know how to manage home cooking within the budget that is available.

The category of population that one might define as being "fall through the crack" sort, who have *not* had the opportunity to learn even the basics of nutrition, generally *would* be able to being able to qualify for foodstamps, usually (or at least, from what I've seen, but of course I have not seen everything in the world). And the WIC programs are as "teaching-nutrition" focused as they are anything else.

What I have noticed as a growing population is young married couples who *do* own homes and car(s) and nice clothes and who have had access to good educations who simply do not know how to manage money in our credit-focused society. This group can get into trouble in most basic ways - such as having so many bills to pay each month that when it comes to putting food on the table in a basic sort of manner (which they do not lack the education about as many have college-level educations) they simply have never had to do it, so they flounder.

My reason for thinking that jgm's student did have enough basic education to know basic nutrition (which is so prevalently taught in most of of our "middle-class" society) is the fact that food stamps were not an option in this situation. But nothing was really specified about the exact situation beyond this, so it was just a guess on my part. I do admit to being curious, though.

Edited to correct spelling of the word "month" which somehow I must have gotten snotty and spelled "monthe". :rolleyes:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Everyone's pretty much answered this really well for ya, but I had a couple of thoughts. When I was a very young mother with five little stairsteps (the oldest had just turned 6 when the baby was born,) I found myself a very young <i>single</i> mother with five little stairsteps. While I made enough money as a bartender not to qualify for public assistance like food stamps, it was a real challenge to feed us all nutritiously on just my own income. I had to learn quickly.

First of all, are you and your friend in an area that is conducive to gardening? Fresh produce is tough on the budget unless you live someplace rural/agricultural where it can be purchased directly from the growers. I lived in a city (Memphis) with a small yard, but I managed to squeeze in beds everywhere I could so that I could afford to put fresh vegetables on the table. By the second year, I'd gotten the hang of it well enough to add some home-grown goodies to my freezer, as well. Lots of stuff can be grown in containers, if your friend doesn't have a yard, or she might be able to co-op with another friend who does, sharing the work and the bounty. Yes, it takes an awful lot of time and energy when you have little children, but I did it with five of them, while working full time. It *can* be done, if you are determined enough. Besides, it's a wonderful way to spend time with the kids. Mine have been in the kitchen and the garden with me since they were born, whether strapped into a sling or set on the countertop in a baby seat or standing on kitchen chairs pulled up to the counters or helping plant the seed starts or crawling around planting corn. Wonderful memories. My kids don't remember "being poor," but they *do* remember things like that. (I just made myself cry thinking about it... they grow up SO fast!!)

I heartily second (or third, or whatever) the notion of buying whole chickens -- not even necessarily the big expensive roasters, either; the $3-4 ones are more economical and still have a lot of potential. Roasted, you can take the "premium" meat (breast, etc.) and use it in a dish where you want pretty white meat, then pick the rest of the meat off and have enough for a batch of chicken salad, or sometimes two casserole dishes, batches of fried rice, baked spagheticken (as my kids called it), or whatever... then the carcass can be made into stock & frozen for yet another meal.

When my kids flew the nest (about all at once!) they asked me to put together something so they could make all of our family favorite dishes. As I was designing the "family cookbook" I made sure I included a few things from the really old days, when a couple of cans of tuna was sometimes a luxury. With a little creativity and know-how, you can learn to cook college-kid-broke and still have nutrition & good taste on your plate. I think it's great that you're doing this... good wishes to you and to your young friend!

When my kids flew the nest (about all at once!) they asked me to put together something so they could make all of our family favorite dishes.  As I was designing the "family cookbook" I made sure I included a few things from the really old days, when a couple of cans of tuna was sometimes a luxury.  With a little creativity and know-how, you can learn to cook college-kid-broke and still have nutrition & good taste on your plate.  I think it's great that you're doing this... good wishes to you and to your young friend!

Five? You sound like my mother. She was widowed in the late fifties with five children 10 years apart oldest to youngest. I came along later (yes, she remarried and had two more children) when some of the economic pressure was off. My hat's off to you.

I can't tell you how often the tuna noodle casserole is requested by my bunch! Tuna Noodle, Spaghetti and Chicken soup were in constant rotattion to the point where you would think they would never want to see another again! I think if you practice anything enough, you learn to get good at it. They also learned to grow things hands on. Nothing more fun to a little one than digging in the dirt!

That family cookbook is a good idea, and sounds like something I can do with some empty scrapbooks I have hanging around for Christmas prezzies. Goodness knows they call enough for this or that recipe.

There was a point in my life when I was a single mom of two (ages 4 and 5, 14 months apart, sort of Irish twins), going to school full time and waiting tables. It can be done, but I don't know for the life of me how you or I or my mother for that matter "did" it! I was certianly much younger than I am now when I struggled, and I guess the kids are an incredible motivator. My kids didn't know they were "poor" either, and when you consider the nurturing they experienced I guess they really weren't. I felt incredibly guilty at the time though, thinking I was not able to invest enough of myself in them. But, it has ever been so, I suppose, for all parents.

My daughter is famous on her college campus for the family recipe for tuna noodle. They like to refer to it as comfort food, but it really is just simply good food.

Anne

Great stuff, only thing I can think of to suggest is, checking out Indian, Chinese -- you know, 'ethnic' stores. Even if you don't eat that type of food, the prices are a fraction of what you pay in supermarkets -- not just for exotic spices and such, but plain everyday items such as rice.

There's a thread earlier about a couple who wanted to keep

their food budget in control, and that had some great ideas too....

I'll also urge you to consider: canned beans.

May not be snooty gourmet, but they are:

1) tasty (made right - not at all difficult)

2) cheap (food does not get much cheaper than this)

3) quick (especially compared to pre-soaking and cooking dry beans)

4) easy

5) nutritious as heck

Indian recipes for rajmah or black eyed peas;

soup or stew recipes; vegetarian chili (or make the chili

with mostly beans and just a trace amount of meat); etc.

Most of the recipes can be augmented by throwing in some

extra vegetables (e.g. chopped spinach/other greens, or carrots, or

diced peppers, etc.) for extra nutrition and taste....

Equip the kitchen with some basic spices and spice blends

and maybe an inexpensive crockpot, and it's amazing the

good food you get.....

Milagai