• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two new additions to the Queen W food scene

rgruby

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Harlem Underground is now open.

Asian Monsoon just down the block isn't.

Further east, at Denison the Arepa Cafe has opened. Oh Boy Burger has also opened to much hoopla down that way. It's a hamburger, people.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Harlem Underground is now open.

Asian Monsoon just down the block isn't.

Further east, at Denison the Arepa Cafe has opened. Oh Boy Burger has also opened to much hoopla down that way. It's a hamburger, people.

Cheers,

Geoff

The Asian Monsoon space has become the Friendly Thai.

This is, by my count, the fifth restaurant to inhabit that space in the past 18 months.

There's a poutine place coming to Queen and Bathurst too.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Little Tibet has a sign up saying March 15 will be its last day.

the Vdara ( abd Satori, Habitat, Future Bakery - I think I missed one) space has a liquor board sign saying it will be opening as Hoop's Sports Bar. Renos are ongoing.

The building Amuse Bouche occupies on Tecumseth has a "For Lease" sing on it. Not sure what that means for the restaurant.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Hoops now open in the old Vdara/ Satori/ Habitat/ Future Bakery space.

Vietnamese place coming in the former Little Tibet space.

Perla now open Thurs thru Sat evenings above Milagros. Apparently more a cocktails/ bar space, but I think the kitchen is open too. Don't quote me on that though.

Amuse Bouche on Tecumseth is kaput. They sold to a friend of theirs who is going to do a locavore/ southern thing - so i'm told.

I'm told the Paddock has changed hands recently as well. don't know if that will mean changes there or not.

Cheers,

Geoff

RAAAAR. Why does their website not have an address!?! HONESTLY. What is wrong with people making websites in flash and not putting an address of all things... *mutter* given the mass proliferation of iphones you'd think flash would be the last thing any resto would want for their website... *more muttering*

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

RAAAAR. Why does their website not have an address!?! HONESTLY. What is wrong with people making websites in flash and not putting an address of all things... *mutter* given the mass proliferation of iphones you'd think flash would be the last thing any resto would want for their website... *more muttering*

At least they remembered to put the address in their twitter profile ;-)

While I'm sure jlunar has the address already, in case the updated website still lacks an address, Beast is located at 96 Tecumseth, just west of Bathurst, and south of Queen W.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

Address is on there now - they're new, the website is a work in progress. Still, the address is fairly fundamental!

I did have a look at the menu when I sauntered past. A bunch of salads. Of the mains I recall duck confit and pigs head pasta. definitely seemed to be doing the locavore thing, but I didn't think it was overly meaty given the moniker - it's not the Black Hooves, I don't think.

If we can ever find a babysitter (again) we might even check it out!

Cheers,

Geoff

• 6 months later...

Well, not much new around the hood.

The Vietnamese place has been open for a while now (an offshoot of the one on Dundas in the Brockton hood). Looking forward to trying it out.

Most of the rest is fast food. A pita place beside the 7-11, a cupcake shop, a sandwich place and another poutine joint over by Bathurst.

All the excitement seems to have moved up to Dundas (?!) and Ossington, as well as the continuing colonization of Parkdale.

Inigo, in Igor the bike thief's old place at Strachan looks like it's getting close- but it's looked that way to me for a while.

Dark Horse has opened an outpost of their coffee shop in the old Square Fruit store at Euclid. (RIP Square Fruit).

That's all I got.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Parkette (rustic Ital says the sign board out front) is now open beside Oyster Boy. Pita Nutso is not. Open, nor beside Oyster Boy. The arrears notice stated that their rent was in excess of 9 grand. That's a lot of pitas they'd need to sell to stay afloat.

Oh Boy Burger closed - supposedly Boehmer is putting a (gastro?)pub in there.

The 416 snack bar is open in the Jonny Banana/Azul space on Bathurst just north of Queen. I'm hoping to check it out soonish.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

The chocolate place around Manning (it's in the space that used to be occupied by the spice and olive oil folks that moved just west of Walnut) now has Canuck cheeses downstairs and will have Thuet breads on Fri and Saturdays, so I'm told. As well as some charcuterie after they get their fridge fixed.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 3 months later...

San - gone. A couple or more months back actually. Mavrik wine bar open in its place.

The pita joint next to the 7-11 is now a pizza place. let me know how it is.

I am told the Indian place Apalla is tweaking their menu a bit next week to have more veggie options.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 5 months later...

Inigo across from Tribell appears to have closed.

County General in the Kei/ Oddfellows space at Queen and Shaw has been open for a couple or three months now. I still haven't checked it out, but I've heard good things.

I'm curious about the "mexican" place across the tracks in Parkdale opened by a couple Black Hoof alums. Can't remember the name offhand. Anybody been?

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1 month later...
I'm curious about the "mexican" place across the tracks in Parkdale opened by a couple Black Hoof alums. Can't remember the name offhand. Anybody been?

Yes! Called Grand Electric. Very loud music. It is more drinking feel than dining. Food was good when I went (still need to process photos). Enjoyed, but don't expect to talk to your dining companion too much. It's that loud.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

• 2 months later...

Not much going on in my hood. Lost a Second Cup (Queen & Palmerston) in exchange for a frozen yogurt place. But don't fear Queen Westers, the loss of a coffee place has been negated by the opening of a coffee place in Tota during the day at Bathurst.

Rosebud is papered over. When I last walked by there was a guy wearing a Food Dudes t-shirt hanging about out front. I suspect that may hold a clue to the next incarnation there.

Lessee - Ursa in the former Bar One space has been open for a couple months now to good press. In the other direction - is Bahn Mi Boys open yet? Haven't been as far as Spadina in a while. In the Oh Boy Burger (and very briefly Bohmer gastropub) space a cocktail bar (LUcid, I think - not sure if connected to the resto?) has been open for a while.

That's the winter (sorta) that was.

Cheers,

Geoff