• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Pam R

Food Gifts

does anyone have a good recipe for apple butter and/or mango chutney? those are two of my parents' favorites and I'm having trouble finding recipes. Thanks!

This year, our family has agreed to exchange only edible and/or consumable gifts for the sake of an easier, more manageable holiday for each one involved. For my partner and I, this means that many bottles of booze will be coming our way. No complaints here.

The gift ideas that I have include marinated olives, spiced nuts, macerated fruit, etc. I am curious to hear about what other people are going to make/bake this season, to see some photos and exchange some ideas. The first thing that I am looking for is a good spiced nuts recipe. I've tried a few but have not found a solid one yet.

I will be posting about my projects as they come along. Happy baking!

This year I am giving home made gifts for the first time, mostly because my husband and I are broke. So far I've started making shrubb (clementine infused rum) from Jessica Harris's Beyond Gumbo : Creole Fusion Food from the Atlantic Rim . I've never made it before, but what could be bad about rum infused with citrus, vanilla and spices? Other than that, I think we're giving pumpkin seed candies, some cookies, and home roasted coffee. But after reading this thread, I'm thinking I'd like to include some savory treats too. Most of my friends are decidedly not foodies, so I don't want to go overboard. Has anybody given home made cheese straws? Do you think they will hold up well enough? I know a lot of people who would be very appreciative of some duck bresaola, but I can't afford to shell out for magret for everyone.

Reviving this ancient discussion in time for the upcoming holidays...

For the less discriminating foodie, I give you a Magnum of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (click). It's the third from the top item on that web page. Available in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I usually give an assortment of my Christmas goodies.  This year, I'll do that, but I'm also going to repeat the Holiday Bread that I did last year:

bread.jpg.3086c119d5a1215ac565df664ebe0a6f.jpg

bread2.jpg.c44828f131551543c320c72bef1338c7.jpg

It was so good and well received and EASY (bread machine).  

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this