• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Gifts

Pam R

there are a couple of companies/names/brands that produce seriously superior roasted/salted peanuts using the "Virginia" tag.

we're not big on the flavored/burn-out-yo-mouth-peppered stuff - we usually get our "fix" at the Kutztown fair vendor(s).

whether it's their methods, or their preservation/canning techniques, nadda clue - but with zero point zilch question, better peanuts.

Got a jar of Greek honey via UPS from a friend who usually sends me See's Candy; truthfully, I'd much prefer the honey.

And last night, a family friend came by with pecan pies. And he makes FINE pecan pies. Just adjusted the dessert menu to accommodate.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

48 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

there are a couple of companies/names/brands that produce seriously superior roasted/salted peanuts using the "Virginia" tag.

we're not big on the flavored/burn-out-yo-mouth-peppered stuff - we usually get our "fix" at the Kutztown fair vendor(s).

whether it's their methods, or their preservation/canning techniques, nadda clue - but with zero point zilch question, better peanuts.

Oh these puppies are the best commercial to me. I adore well roasted in shell from farmers market or roasting shelled raw ones from Korean market at home, but after that >>>. Different. All peanut, all day. 

1 hour ago, kayb said:

with pecan . . .  pies

totally blind accidentally we stumbled across a FL roadside stand with super Honeybelle tangerines/oranges/whatevers.....

they're in the Indian River area, they have access to the prime Honeybelle crop - we get a bushel bag every year - they ship.

the Honeybelles are like totally seriously worth more than the cost+shipping fee....

anyway, they also have -as seasons have it - fresh crop papershell pecans

so we do a combined order of a bushel of Honeybelle + pecans.

I call, I ask to have it shipped at "prime quality" - they deliver.  Honeybelles are a short season crop, they do not store well - so you get the best off the trees stuff or pay a heap of cash for sub-par fruit....

no relations - no financial or other relations - but iffin' youse hanker some really good stuff:
Citrus World 386-615-0329

oh, Honeybelles have a 6-8 week season, late December to January.

actually, if you'll excuse me, time to make a phone call....

• 1 year later...

I received this as a birthday gift and while I have seen many Advent calendars, I've never seen one quite like this.  It contains various infused balsamic vinegars and olive oils.  I've posted two pictures, one of the inside of the box and another of the back of the box describing the contents.  I'm looking forward to taste-testing these.

20220103_201804.jpg

20220103_201848.jpg

• Like 6