• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TPT

SweetSide

I was just reading a new recipe and it called for 50 grams Almond TPT.

I'm looking for some clarification on this -- wasn't taught it in school. I believe I've read that TPT is "tant pour tant" or equal measures of something. And is it equal measures of almond flour and powdered sugar?

It would appear that in the recipe -- for a tart dough, that this would be the case.

Thanks!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

It's equal measures of nuts (almonds or it could be hazelnuts or even pecans or walnuts) and granulated sugar. But if you have almond flour, I'd use the powdered sugar because that would give you a more tender crust for the tart.

I make Gerbet Macaroons using Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal instead of grinding almonds myself. Making TPT is time-consuming, and using the almond meal makes producing TPT exceptionally easy. I have found it at Whole Foods Markets.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I make Gerbet Macaroons using Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal instead of grinding almonds myself. Making TPT is time-consuming, and using the almond meal makes producing TPT exceptionally easy. I have found it at Whole Foods Markets.

Eileen

I have almond flour and I have powdered sugar, so along your lines, I was planning on making the TPT by taking 25g almond flour and whisking it with 25g powdered sugar.

I pay the same price per pound for almond flour and slivered almonds and sliced almonds... so there is no reason for me to do more work than I have to....

Cheryl, The Sweet Side