• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum with a contemporary premium image

tribeca

I'm keen to find a rum that has a contemporary premium image - for a cocktail bar. The only one I can find at the moment is Clement rum from Martinique which has exactly the right sort of contemporary premium style I'm looking for (although the bottle reminds me a bit too much of Grey Goose), it tastes good but it is now becoming a bit common in other bars in my area.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this is quite a subjective thing but any suggestions at all are really welcome even if they don't have good distribution.

Thanks

I'm keen to find a rum that has a contemporary premium image - for a cocktail bar.  The only one I can find at the moment is Clement rum from Martinique which has exactly the right sort of contemporary premium style I'm looking for (although the bottle reminds me a bit too much of Grey Goose), it tastes good but it is now becoming a bit common in other bars in my area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I know this is quite a subjective thing but any suggestions at all are really welcome even if they don't have good distribution.

Thanks

Try Elements 8 rum. They have a 4 year old white rum and a 6 year old gold rum. Both are distilled and blended in St Lucia. And the bottle definately has a contemporary image.

http://www.e8rum.com/

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

I'm keen to find a rum that has a contemporary premium image - for a cocktail bar.  The only one I can find at the moment is Clement rum from Martinique which has exactly the right sort of contemporary premium style I'm looking for (although the bottle reminds me a bit too much of Grey Goose), it tastes good but it is now becoming a bit common in other bars in my area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I know this is quite a subjective thing but any suggestions at all are really welcome even if they don't have good distribution.

Thanks

Try Elements 8 rum. They have a 4 year old white rum and a 6 year old gold rum. Both are distilled and blended in St Lucia. And the bottle definately has a contemporary image.

http://www.e8rum.com/

Thanks. Definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Ideally I'm looking for something that is not yet distributed in the UK at the moment. Can you (or anyone else!) think of anything? I guess maybe someone in the States might have seen something that fits the bill - any contemporary premium rums they can think of, then I can check myself it's distribution over here.

Cheers

You are looking for a Premium white rum with 'Brand History', a contemporary look and isn't yet in the UK...

There is an interesting rum called bambu you should check out. It doesnt have any 'history' but could be what you are looking for

Edited by Bill Poster (log)

I'm a little confused. Are you looking for a clear rum? Are you looking for a rum with a contemporary premium image or a really good rum to serve in your bar?

If you're looking for something which isn't presently being imported to the UK, are you looking to begin importing this rum?

I agree that the frosted Clement bottle looks more like a vodka bottle than a rum bottle, but if you like that style of rum, which is about 180 degrees from Bambu, you should try Neisson, also from Martinique. Neisson is not distributed in the UK.

The elements packaging looks interesting, I look forward to tasting the rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Is Neisson a good mixer?(I havent tried it)

To add- I heard good things about Elements rum from two soho outlets. Unless I am mistaken, they appear to be using the same bottle as Seriously..Pinky vodka. Are the two companies in any way related?

Once you get by the age confirmation pages, I think you'll see that these bottles are very different. <br>

essential rum<br>

seriously vodka<br>

Is Neisson a good mixer?

That depends entirely on what you want to mix with it. Coca? Definitely not.

If you looking to make tasteless faux-tinis, probably not.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Neisson sounds good for Daiquiri's. I will hunt down a bottle.

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpde...7&afwinid=96969

Above is a Pinky bottle link. It was originally launched by Seriously.. (produced in sweden with Facile)but since the MD of Seriously.. did a runner to LA, I don't know who is distributing this now

I'm a little confused. Are you looking for a clear rum? Are you looking for a rum with a contemporary premium image or a really good rum to serve in your bar?

If you're looking for something which isn't presently being imported to the UK, are you looking to begin importing this rum?

I agree that the frosted Clement bottle looks more like a vodka bottle than a rum bottle, but if you like that style of rum, which is about 180 degrees from Bambu, you should try Neisson, also from Martinique. Neisson is not distributed in the UK.

I've got a bottle of the Elements 8 platinum & gold for you to taste but sending alcohol to the states from over here in Europe in a nightmare. Any suggestions?

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

I'm going to be in St Lucia in a few weeks, if it's bottled at the distillery I'll be able to get some at the distillery. If it's bottled in the UK, well that's another story. Sending alcohol to the US can be a challenge. PM me for details on how the distributor can send me samples.

I'm working on the next book and would like to include these rums if they are bottled at the distillery. Unfortunately there are a lot of spirits which claim to be from a place with a reputation for quality but are blended and bottled elsewhere with little regard to the origin of the spirit.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 3 weeks later...

Well what I'm ideally looking for is a golden rum with a contemporary image to import into the UK (i.e. therefore no one else is currently importing/distributing it here).

I apologise for my vagueness which, despite this, has resulted in two good suggestions: Neisson and Bambu. The two suggestions have both been good in there own ways but not quite what I was thinking - Bambu has the contemporary image whereas Neisson offers a good quality golden rum.

Can anyone think of a rum that might tick all the boxes?

A good quality golden rum with some contemporary values/design that is not currently imported in the UK?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think that a contemporary image will have the same appeal on the customer? Golden Rum is usually associated with a wooden and old image, maybe "rough", surely not "aseptic". Maybe the market is more ready to accept this image in a white rum as other white spirits.

I wonder if in Italy we could be ready for this. In UK?

Do you think Lounge Clubs could be interested ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I posted a message on the rum forum just before Christmas before it became part of the 'Spirits and cocktails' forum but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to see all the replies before it was deleted as the topic was still live.

So if it's okay I'd like to pick people's brains and see what you think.

I'm interested in importing a good quality rum into the UK that has some contemporary values (i.e. a more modern/alternative looking bottle compared to most rums we see). Ideas that were bashing around included rums like Clement Rum and Elements Eight which are both good examples but are currently available in the UK. Can anyone think of any others that might fit the bill?

Look forward to hearing any ideas you may have.

Thanks

Phil.

Do you think that a contemporary image will have the same appeal on the customer? Golden Rum is usually associated with a wooden and old image, maybe "rough", surely not "aseptic". Maybe the market is more ready to accept this image in a white rum as other white spirits.

I wonder if in Italy we could be ready for this. In UK?

Do you think Lounge Clubs could be interested ?

Yes I do. The fact that Golden rum is usually associated with such imagery is exactly the point I think. I spend a lot of time talking to barmen here in the UK about drinks and latest trends (particularly in London) and there is a definite growing interest in golden rums (and the rum sector generally) as younger drinkers move on from white rum which they may have first been drinking in cocktails i.e. mojitos into more interesting areas of the sector. I think currently there is certainly room to move around in terms of rum brand imagery as long as the liquid itself is of a good quality.

I think it would be really interesting to see how a golden rum with such an image would be reacted to. I don't think the bottle has to necessarily be really contemporary (such as Elements Eight) but just to have a more neutral/premium/less old fashioned appearance.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

• 2 months later...