• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: melkor - Insert Clever Subtitle Here

melkor

Dave, great job so far. Two quick questions. Where do you get your boquerones? I'd be particularly glad to know of any mail order operations that you trust.

I usually get them at Tower market, though Whole Foods and others also sell them - a quick google search shows them available here but I don't know anything about the vendor. If you've got a Whole Foods near by I'd ask there. Dinon is the brand I usually buy.

Meanwhile:

What kind of sauté pan is that?

It's a 3 quart Bourgeat saucier - I love that pan, it's what I grab off the rack most often. It's a pain to keep the copper clean and the handle gets hot, but it's a great shape and it's really responsive.

gallery_7160_3936_10249.jpggallery_7160_3936_711.jpg

gallery_7160_3936_40865.jpggallery_7160_3936_5643.jpg

gallery_7160_3936_2662.jpggallery_7160_3936_38965.jpg

gallery_7160_3936_36493.jpggallery_7160_3936_50566.jpg

MsMelkor made french toast for breakfast this morning having made the challah last night. The apples are from the tree in the yard, cooked in some butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar. I did all the hard work for this morning's breakfast - making the lattes :smile:

[...]

Cooking with cognac is always fun :biggrin:

Absolutely!

Inspired by your previous flambé, I deglazed a tree oyster mushroom sauté with brandy last night.

Deee-licious, and I didn't even set off the smoke alarm!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Your photos are making my mouth water! This has been a great blog although I've had to play catch up this week. Thanks for making my tummy rumble, I must go eat something now.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

We spent the day down around Union Square helping a friend get his shop ready to open. Lunch at Canteen, dinner at R & G Lounge. I'm too lazy to post the details but I've suckered MsMelkor into doing it. In the meantime there's a cheesecake in the fridge we should have for dessert.

Lunch at Canteen:

Melkor had a smoked salmon omelet, which was good except for the glob of cream cheese in the middle. I opted for the cardoon and goat cheese omelet with crisp roasted potatoes. The cardoons had a great texture - not at all slimy as they can be when they're overcooked - and the goat cheese added a tangy note. Melkor's latte was utterly forgettable.

Dinner at R&G:

I generally don't eat crab - although we don't keep kosher, it somehow seems wrong to eat pork and shellfish. But our friend wanted to try R&G, and it is dungeness crab season so...

We ordered the salt & pepper crab, the spicy garlic crab, along with the "special beef" and noodles. To start, we had vegetable egg rolls (nothing earth-shattering here) and soy sauce beef (a little cloying but surprisingly delicious). The beef was excellent, but my attention was focused on the CRAB!!! The salt and pepper crab was deep-fried, and the meat moist and sweet. The sauce on the other crab was as advertised - both spicy and garlicky - so the emphasis was less on the crabmeat itself and more on the interplay of the various components of the dish. Both crabs were huge...luckily there is always room for cheesecake...

allison

This has been wonderful, and it's sad to see it come to a close.

Your photography is stunning, from the captured chrome-and-amber of your first cup to cauliflowerart, and all the others in between. Was that a nutmeg in little amethyst bowl, upper right? And milk in a bottle :wub:

It's lovely that you are both members, and that you enjoy cooking together so much. Thank you for the great week---it went by much too fast.

rachel

I'm thrilled to learn that you, too, enjoy Shalimar!  We always make a detour there when we're anywhere in the Bay Area.  I try to avoid using their restroom at all costs, but you can't beat the prices (or the free masala chai!).

Shalimar rocks. I've never set foot in the Shalimar restroom, and I've got no desire to change that. That neighborhood really has some of the best food in the city. Pagolac, Bodega Bistro, Shalimar, Thai House Express, Baguette Express... All delicious and cheap.

Thanks for a wonderful blog and in particular the enticing photos from Shalimar. I don't tend to look for Indian up in the city given our options down in "south bay" but it looks great.

So many wonderful meals; if I could pick only one to have right now I'd be hard pressed to choose.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Great blog I've especially liked the pic's. Would you share your bread method with me. I usually make either an omelet or french toast for breakfast when my daughters' with me and Challah bread is her favorite. we really like it (french toast) when the breads 2 or 3 days old and we make it up the nite before and let it soak in the icebox that way it just takes 5 min in the morning and bingo.

Edited by doc slaughter (log)

Thanks again - the blog has been fun to do, though at times it would be nice to have a pocket sized camera so I could comfortably take restaurant food photos.

ludja: I really like the south Indian food in the south bay, Shalimar is my favorite anywhere in the bay area for north Indian.

doc: I'll find the recipe and send it your way.

Thank you (both of you) for blogging. It's been a fun read, and I'm as agog at the photography as everyone else. I'm especially pleased that you finished with another photo of that way-cool demitasse.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown