• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a Book on New Mexico Cuisine

pedie

I am participating in a class about Santa Fe and Taos. I have chosen to research the Cuisine and Indigenous Food of the Northern New Mexico. Can anyone recommend some good sources for my research? Often, Regional Cookbooks have excellent material and so I am looking for that type of reference.

We will follow up the class with a week long trip in the area in April. You can bet I will comb this forum for your restaurant suggestions!

Thanks for any help you can give me regarding comprehensive cookbooks.

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

I am participating in a class about Santa Fe and Taos.  I have chosen to research the Cuisine and Indigenous Food of the Northern New Mexico.  Can anyone recommend some good sources for my research?  Often, Regional Cookbooks have excellent material and so I am looking for that type of reference.

We will follow up the class with a week long trip in the area in April.  You can bet I will comb this forum for your restaurant suggestions!

Thanks for any help you can give me regarding comprehensive cookbooks.

Sante Fe restaurant Coyote Cafe has a cookbook (ISBN: 1580084664). Highly recommend it.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

yeah, huntley dent really hit a home run with "feast of santa fe". that came out when i was still writing there. made me very, very jealous. there's also an interesting old book by erna ferguson, think it's called "mexican cooking", but it's new mexican.

edit to add: if you want "santa fe cuisine" as opposed to authentic, the coyote cafe book is good, but i like kathy kagle's book from cafe pasqual even better.

Edited by russ parsons (log)

edit to add: if you want "santa fe cuisine" as opposed to authentic, the coyote cafe book is good, but i like kathy kagle's book from cafe pasqual even better.

Thanks for suggesting.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

there's also an interesting old book by erna ferguson, think it's called "mexican cooking", but it's new mexican.

I have that one, too! I bought it, in fact, at Acres of Books in Long Beach a million and a half years ago! copyright 1934. It's still pretty good and the woodcut illustrations are great.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

good old acres! still rolling along, i'm happy to report.

erna fergusson was a distinguished regional author from old new mexican stock (her grandfather was franz huning who was one of the first important traders on the Santa Fe Trail, her father was a congressman). the book, which was published in the '30s, is one of the few detailed looks at new mexican cuisine as it existed before the influx of outsiders following world war ii. the recipes can be a bit of a challenge (she was an author, not a recipe writer), but the ideas are there.

I agree that Feast of Santa Fe is probably the best. I have a slim pamphlet sized book that I got proably 10 or more years ago from New Mexico Magazine called "A Taste of New Mexico Kitchens" It has no publication date or any other information other than it's from the magazine. We've used it for one recipe called The Shed's Posole Stew and has some neat tips in it such as "you might need less time at lower altitudes than Santa Fe" when talking about soaking hominy. Simple good recipes for Pinon Fudge, sopaipillas and even Santa Clara Pueblo's Red Chile Stew for a feast day.

Another book you may want to check out is The Rancho de Chimayó Cookbook, Traditional Cooking of New Mexico by Cheryl and Bill Jamison (1991). The restaurant is a shadow of its former glory, but you can bank on any recipe from any of the Jamison's books.

With respect to Native American foods, Foods of the Southwest Indian Nations by Lois Ellen Frank is my favorite.

Bill/SFNM

I have a slim pamphlet sized book that I got proably 10 or more years ago from New Mexico Magazine called "A Taste of New Mexico Kitchens" It has no publication date or any other information other than it's from the magazine. We've used it for one recipe called The Shed's Posole Stew and has some neat tips in it such as "you might need less time at lower altitudes than Santa Fe" when talking about soaking hominy. Simple good recipes for Pinon Fudge, sopaipillas and even Santa Clara Pueblo's Red Chile Stew for a feast day.

man, i'd completely forgotten that book! i've got one from the '60s or '70s and it really is the bible when it comes to my new mexican cooking. in other words, that's where i learned to make my red and green sauces.

I have a slim pamphlet sized book that I got proably 10 or more years ago from New Mexico Magazine called "A Taste of New Mexico Kitchens" It has no publication date or any other information other than it's from the magazine. We've used it for one recipe called The Shed's Posole Stew and has some neat tips in it such as "you might need less time at lower altitudes than Santa Fe" when talking about soaking hominy. Simple good recipes for Pinon Fudge, sopaipillas and even Santa Clara Pueblo's Red Chile Stew for a feast day.

man, i'd completely forgotten that book! i've got one from the '60s or '70s and it really is the bible when it comes to my new mexican cooking. in other words, that's where i learned to make my red and green sauces.

This one?

A Taste of New Mexico Kitchens (Bolerum Books)

I'm not sure if that's the same book, mine does have just 32 pages but there is no publisher or date given other than New Mexico Magazine and I know I bought it at least 15 or more years ago. I also have "Pueblo and Navajo Cookery" by Marcia Keegan (ISBN 0-87100-135-7) which has great old photos. I had the privilege of being invited to a family home on Santa Clara Pueblo's feast day a few years ago, this books photos bring back memories of that special day.

• 2 months later...