• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michael Schmidt vs Ministry of Natural Reso

Nondoctor

As some of you may know, one of our long-standing suppliers, Michael Schmidt, had all of his dairy equipment and a substantial portion of his product confiscated on Tuesday, November 21 during a raid carried out by the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Why, you ask? It all comes down to the fact that Michael distributes raw milk contrary to the Milk Act.

In response to the government’s actions, Michael has gone on a hunger strike.

To show our support, Chef Jamie Kennedy is attempting to organize a press conference at 9 Church St. on Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 10am. Chef encourages anyone who wishes to come out and support Michael and the efforts of all those who are trying to introduce raw milk into Ontario’s dairy community.

Jamie Drummond, Jamie Kennedy Kitchens

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

They're very picky about what goes up. But I think this sounded (to the mods there), less a discussion, more a self-promoting thing, (though I don't think this at all).

Just speculating, but they do snip and trim at the slightest hint of self-service I find.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Not selfpromotion in the slightest!

I was actually contacted by another egulleter earlier today who suggested I post something about the cause.

When I questioned the deletion I received this message:

"Hi Non Doctor, you've been sent the following by a Chowhound moderator:

Chowhound has a very narrow focus - sharing tips on where to find deliciousness. Political topics and discussion of government policy, even when food related, is too far afield from that mission. We hope you understand. "

Perhaps I am waaaay off the mark but I felt that the subject matter was both topical and poignant.

Is it out of bounds for the rather more "liberal" egullet?... let's see shall we...

I find the issues surrounding Mr. Schmidt's predicament fascinating.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

my only guess is that Chowhound doesn't want to get tangled in any legal-related stuff...but I don't often read Chowhound so I don't know what the mods are like over there...

I think the law on this issue is pretty archaic and basically, dumb. At least give people the choice. I'm not even the biggest consumer of cheese, but I wish I had heard about Schmidt's distribution before this happened so I'd've had a chance to check it out.

I am wondering if this is one of those painful 'blessings in disguise.'

The gov has now given great publicity to the raw milk cause. I have been hoping to get a supply of raw milk for my family's personal consumption, as it contains the healthful enzymes absent in pasteurized product. I would also think that these cows are very carefully tended to in order to avoid any possible infection. In an operation where the milk is pooled, the only way to safeguard from infection is through pasteurization.

When you think of the Ontario Milk Marketing Board's system of pooling milk from all the producers, there is no way of knowing where one's milk is actually coming from. I have driven by dairy farms in the country where they have a dairy operation alongside the corn fields, sprayed with pesticides. I do not believe the finished milk is tested for pesticides. In most food operations, Lot Codes are utilized to trace back food to its components.

Organic milk was the first step in some separation from the 'pooling' concept. Hopefully this will be the next step.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

I can understand why govenrment agencies enforce health standards, whatver the merits. I do not understand why 20 officers with guns drawn are necessary to interupt the sale of a few litres of milk.

Some press:

Globe article from this morning

Owen Sound Sun Times piece quoting expert who says raw milk is dangerous.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

It is Greg Sorbara. His family started to use raw milk when they had their own cow on a farm in B.C. Apparently Greg was one of the milkers. They now make the trek to Thornhill to get a weekly supply of raw milk, cheese and other products.

I am wondering if this is one of those painful 'blessings in disguise.'

The gov has now given great publicity to the raw milk cause.  I have been hoping to get a supply of raw milk for my family's personal consumption, as it contains the healthful enzymes absent in pasteurized product.  I would also think that these cows are very carefully tended to in order to avoid any possible infection.  In an operation where the milk is pooled, the only way to safeguard from infection is through pasteurization.

When you think of the Ontario Milk Marketing Board's system of pooling milk from all the producers, there is no way of knowing where one's milk is actually coming from.  I have driven by dairy farms in the country where they have a dairy operation alongside the corn fields, sprayed with pesticides. I do not believe the finished milk is tested for pesticides.  In most food operations, Lot Codes are utilized to trace back food to its components.

Organic milk was the first step in some separation from the 'pooling' concept.  Hopefully this will be the next step.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

The main objection to individual raw milk producers is the excrement factor.

As clean as the operation may be, there is always a chance that warm sloppy cowshit has dribbled down to the udder and all the germs, salmonella, e colli, and TB, are not necessarily eliminated before milking the teats. That is why governments want to pasteurise the milk. If the cow's excrement was harder, and more discete, like , say, a sheep or a horse, we would not be having this discussion.

I think it is incumbent on Mr. Schmidt to explain how he can keep the cows' teats not just clean but sterile.

First.. Chowhound is way-over-moderated that they are impeding free-speech. Their web interface is so bad I removed them from my bookmarks.. and I don't think their updated forum's any better..

On raw-milk..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_milk

Health officials are paranoids.. You can't blame them. It is not against the law to consume raw milk products.. just selling them..

Is this going to be another Eigensinn farm fiasco?

The main objection to individual raw milk producers is the excrement factor.

As clean as the operation may be, there is always a chance that warm sloppy cowshit has dribbled down to the udder and all the germs, salmonella, e colli, and TB, are not necessarily  eliminated before milking the teats. That is why governments want to pasteurise the milk.  If the cow's excrement was harder, and more discete, like , say, a sheep or a horse, we would not be having this discussion.

I think it is incumbent on Mr. Schmidt to explain how he can keep the cows' teats not just clean but sterile.

I never thought about this angle but I will stay with the pasturized stuff given the same. For me I suspect it makes no difference in my coffee or cereal either way.

officially left egullet....

"When you think of the Ontario Milk Marketing Board's system of pooling milk from all the producers, there is no way of knowing where one's milk is actually coming from. I have driven by dairy farms in the country where they have a dairy operation alongside the corn fields, sprayed with pesticides. I do not believe the finished milk is tested for pesticides."

As a scientific matter, it is highly unlikely that any pesticide residue would exist in milk....certainly not above trace amounts.