• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smallest and most intimate restos in Paris

John Talbott

Menton1 has suggested we come up with our ideas about

the smallest and most intimate restos in Paris...

Reflecting on it, there are certainly places with very few covers (for example, Spring, with 16) but is it intimate? Or is an intimate place more like Les Anges that has 30 covers but where the tables are widely separated so it's more conducive to an intimate conversation.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Yes, I suppose "small" and "intimate" don't always go together.

I'm reminded of La Merenda in Nice, which is only about 16 seats but is hardly qualified as "intimate".

I can think of a lot of candidates in the countryside and other parts of France, but I'll await others' suggestions for Paris.

Small and intimate? Does that mean romantic? Or just having a conversation with the person at your table? Does the food have to be great?

How about these...Les Amognes, Le Coupe Chou, Le Petite Prince de Paris.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Have never been there, but Le Timbre ("the stamp") is getting some play on this side of the Atlantic. I also quite liked Le Petite Troquet which isn't so much romatic except in the sense of perfectly capturing one's romantic image of a Paris boit.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.